General Power Tool Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Power Tool Maintenance

I know we all like our power tools, but what general maintenance should we be performing on a monthly/yearly/seasonal basis?

Should we oil the chucks on drills, boots on recip saws, or should we just use the heck out of them until they break and we buy new ones?

I can't say that I've been good on the maintenance(if required) front - generally if it starts, then great, Small gas tools, of course(chainsaw, weed whacker, push lawn mower) get their seasonal care at the end and during.

But battery operated cordless tools, that's a whole other thing.......
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Re: General Power Tool Maintenance

I generally just follow the maintenance instructions that are outlined in the Owners Manuals.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I am aware of the role vibration plays on most tools so checking screws and so forth for tightness has been a good idea. All cutting tools are checked for sharp blades and tight arbors. Battery voltage is checked every two or three months. Tools are exposed to a wide varitey of climates and moisture so specific care must be given depending on those variables. Maybe a light spray of oil to ward off rust for the damp environments, an occassional spray of protectant on plastics exposed to the sun constantly. I guess if you have the time and anticipate a certain part of the tool taking more abuse you could tape it up in advance.

Comment

When I manage anger, my cordless will go flying.(requiring replacement)

Comment

Anytime a compressor is handy, I like to blow my tools off (especially around the motor / flywheel slots, and the trigger). Every so often, I give the whole tool a WD40 wipedown. Keeps the power cords nice as well. I'm very anal with my tools (I've been using the same DeWalt circular saw for 17 years, only replacing the brushes once and the switch once). Buy the good stuff, treat them right, and they'll do the same for you. Also, hammer drills are notorious for chucks "freezing" up. A nice shot of WD40 left to soak fixes it right up.
          You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

What about some fogging oil.....too slick? Reason I ask is that WD40 seems to dry everything out too much.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Never had a problem with WD40 drying anything out, rubber or plastic. Bonus, it makes a nice cologne in a pinch . Even though it sounds kinda "weird", Jig-A-Loo is an awesome product you can use anywhere you'd use WD40.
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Working...
              X