X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bevel lock issue on R4121 12" Miter Saw

I purchased the Ridgid R4121 compound double bevel miter saw for $250 at Home Depot today. After setting up the saw and while trying to cut the slot in my zero clearance throat plate, I noticed a major issue with the bevel lock. Using the unindexed bevel setting towards the right, the bevel lock works just fine. When you move the bevel towards the left, the lock will not hold past about 32 degrees (unindexed). By looking at the back of the saw, I can clearly see the issue: the friction surface on the base where the lock makes contact is thinner towards the side that will not hold. Has anyone else had this issue with the R4121?

Thanks,

Wes

Re: Bevel lock issue on R4121 12" Miter Saw

It looks like someone else had the same issue with this saw on reviews at the Home Depot website. This saw is going back tomorrow for a refund. I just placed an order on Amazon for a factory reconditioned Dewalt DW715 and a Dewalt 12" 80 tooth finish blade all for about the same price that I paid for my R4121. I realize that I'm losing the double bevel feature but I don't see my self needing it and $250 is way too much money for a tool with inferior quality and/or design. Hopefully my DW715 will fit just fine on the Ridgid MS-UV that I bought too!

Thanks,

Wes

Comment

I think you'll be pleased with the Dewalt - assuming it arrives in one piece...

Comment

I have the same saw (bought at the same price as the OP), and I don't have this problem. I'm guessing the issue is a sample defect, owing to a poor design for the bevel lock mechanism. That plastic locking lever should have a sign on it that says "CAUTION: This lever may snap off at a moment's notice!", and anything that relies on pressure and friction to offset the power of gravity is doomed to ultimate failure IMHO.

I guess I'm just lucky. I plan to use the saw almost exclusively for cut-offs and miter cuts. I don't do much work that requires compound cuts. I'll save the long bevel cuts for a table saw (once I break down and buy one, that is).

I share some of the gripes that another (positive) reviewer on the HD site mentioned. Like the way dust accumulates under the bevel indicators; and how the DC system doesn't really work unless you attach a vacuum hose to the dust port (and then I'd rank the performance as "spotty"). Another gripe is that you need to take the right fence COMPLETELY OFF to do a deep right-bevel cut, which involves loosening the set screw and COMPLETELY REMOVING a mounting screw. Other than that, I'm just as happy as could be with it. It's accurate and true right out of the box, and the cuts with the stock blade are very smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
          I think you'll be pleased with the Dewalt - assuming it arrives in one piece...
          Well lets hope that it does...Amazon has always been good to me so I'm not too worried. I really liked the R4121 but I just think that it should have worked the way it was designed to. When I returned the saw today, I tried explaining the issue to the girl at the return counter. She didn't seem too interested in the details but did note that it was a bevel lock issue so hopefully Ridgid will figure it out. I was torn between the Bosch 3912 and the Dewalt DW715 but compaints about accuracy deviation while tightening the miter lock down steered me away from the Bosch (I actually prefer Bosch tools to Dewalt but could not overlook this). The r4121 won't be the last Ridgid tool that I'm going to buy although it was sort of a dissapointment (I have a full set of Ridgid 18V cordless tools and a quarter sheet sander but none of those have ever let me down).

-Wes

Comment

Originally posted by yuntrips View Post
            Another gripe is that you need to take the right fence COMPLETELY OFF to do a deep right-bevel cut, which involves loosening the set screw and COMPLETELY REMOVING a mounting screw.
            It is true you have to remove the right fence, but you do not need to remove the mounting screw. With the right fence all the way to the left, loosen the set screw (rubberized knob) then lift straight up on the fence and it should come out. Same with the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason-oregon View Post
              It is true you have to remove the right fence, but you do not need to remove the mounting screw. With the right fence all the way to the left, loosen the set screw (rubberized knob) then lift straight up on the fence and it should come out. Same with the left.
              And of course... Jason is right! The "mounting" screw is there to keep the fence from flopping down out of its track when you loosen the set screw and slide it over (left or right). There is a slot that will allow you to lift it straight out as long as you haven't moved it from its home position. So, I guess I like my saw even better now.

Thanks!

Comment

So I just picked up this R4121 a few days ago to replace an old craftsman 10" saw. Began setting up the saw and made my cuts in the plastic plate, but had to remove the right fence completely for that 48 degree cut. Then, when beveled to the left, the lock would not hold the saw at 48 degrees. I will be checking back at HD to see if their display saw does this, and if they have any other new in box that I could swap out with. Maybe they are all coming through this way from the factory? I have had great success with all other ridgid tools I have bought, and will be dissappointed to say the least if this is not resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by fortunate son View Post
                  So I just picked up this R4121 a few days ago to replace an old craftsman 10" saw. Began setting up the saw and made my cuts in the plastic plate, but had to remove the right fence completely for that 48 degree cut. Then, when beveled to the left, the lock would not hold the saw at 48 degrees. I will be checking back at HD to see if their display saw does this, and if they have any other new in box that I could swap out with. Maybe they are all coming through this way from the factory? I have had great success with all other ridgid tools I have bought, and will be dissappointed to say the least if this is not resolved.
                  Yeah that's the exact same issue I had. Only way to resolve it without taking the saw apart (and that might not work) would be to return it for one without the issue. I would guess that it is a fairly common defect so good luck with that. How Ridgid could let something leave the factory with such a blatantly obvious issue is beyond me .

-Wes

Comment

Well I double-checked the saw today and the bevel lock works through the entire range when beveled right (saw body to the right). To the left, the lock works to appx. 40 degrees (I think this is better than what you have on yours, Wes). Shaky even at 40, and past that I will not hold. On the bright side I bought it for the $100 Black Friday markdown, and it does cut nice, very powerful, otherwise seems to be well made. My local HD was sold out so I had nothing to compare to except the display, lock worked fine on that one. I explained the issue to a salesman who had not heard of the issue but that they would swap it out for me. I told him that I would want to open the box first and check, rather than lug another one home to find the same problem. We'll see what happens when more arrive in stock. Maybe a saw from a newer batch will do the trick? Ridgid, I hope you are aware of/monitoring this problem!

Comment

I went by my local HD and tried the lock on the display model and it would not hold past 40 degrees, just like mine. I told a sales person in tools about the issue and he hadn't head of this before but suggested I stop by the authorized service center (just 5 min from the store) to have it looked at to see if it was something that is fixable. Does anyone have an older R4121 that works. How long has this saw been available? I wonder if we all got a bad batch or is this a problem that has been around awhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason-oregon View Post
                        I wonder if we all got a bad batch or is this a problem that has been around awhile?
                        Well thats the problem with ridgid tools they are only made for the home depot. (and there made by the makers of RYOBI and Craftsman tools) so there constantly making new models. They dont keep the same models for more than a year. There constanly trying to change something or add a gimick. if you ask me they spend to much time trying to make new tools instead of making ones that will last a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X