Reciprocating saw opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

Wow! Tools "raping" other tools. I'm afraid to leave mine alone now (especially since I own both Milwaukee and Makita recip saws). I will say that you can't go wrong with either brand. I don't think either the 15 amp Milwaukee Super Sawzall or the 15 amp Makita AVT saw "rapes" the other in terms of performance. I've always been pleased with the Milwaukee Sawzalls, but the Makita is VERY nice as well and impressed me enough to buy one. Get either one, then GET SOME ! ! ! ! !
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I finally sold my Milwaukee Sawsall after twenty plus years of flawless service. My Ridgid 18volt cordless works just fine for duty 1/2inch threaded rods and wood as well. No need to drag power cords anymore.

Comment

Im confused how can two saws with the same strokes per minute cut at different speeds

Comment

Originally posted by washbear View Post
          Im confused how can two saws with the same strokes per minute cut at different speeds
          If one is linear and the other is orbital,also stroke length.

Comment

Originally posted by washbear View Post
            IMO manufacturer specs are just a guide and power tools under load do perform differently.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              If one is linear and the other is orbital,also stroke length.
              Also the angle of attack when in orbital mode.

Comment

I prefer a good heavy recip saw over a lighter model. Heavier ones have less kickback and therefore cut more efficiently.
                You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I like Milwaukee - I have the super sawzall orbital with rotating handle. Got it (new) on eBay. Didn't think I would need the rotating handle but turns out it's been handy. Never met a Milwaukee tool that wasn't a tank.

Comment

I have several Milwaukee Sawzalls and they all are excellent. I especially like the anti-kick back feature. I do not like the 18v Ridgid I have in design and use. The orbital is on my Hatchet which on a short stroke is better since it cut slower anyway but in demo with a long stroke sawI see little advantage as you can move the saw around anyway and get similar efffects and they vibrate less in non orbit. I only the Ridgid use it in dirty conditions where I do not care if it gets damaged.
                    I would buy a Milwaukee.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                      . The orbital is on my Hatchet which on a short stroke is better since it cut slower anyway but in demo with a long stroke sawI see little advantage as you can move the saw around anyway and get similar efffects and they vibrate less in non orbit.

I agree with you on this point - changing the angle of attack and pivoting into the cut does help and speed up the cutting process and reduces the cut time. Sure, it's a little more work and physical action that the user has to put into the process, but that's what you find with a recip saw. Though I believe that orbital is a valued function - it's not enough to make me buy a new saw and pitch my old one. Like most of the tools that you have, over time, manufacturers find ways to improve to create obsolescence to sell the new tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X