Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reciprocating saw opinion

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reciprocating saw opinion

    Of course this is a Ridgid forum, but was hoping to get an honest opinion on the comparison of the Ridgid Heavy Duty 11 amp, recip saw to either Milwaukee or Dewalt. I am a homeowner who is a heavy user for ongoing construction projects. Some heavy duty but many light duty projects. I was sold by the Home Depot clerk on getting the Ridgid for $10.00 less than the Milwaukee. Other opinion web sites don't even mention the Ridgid for comparison with like saws. Now I'm wondering if I need to return the Ridgid for the Milwaukee?

  • #2
    Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

    for $10 more buy the milluwakee, sawzalls are there bread and butter and always has been. the ridgid is a nice piece but if i recall has had some chuck problems and didnt like to hold the blade. i am not a de worthless fan i have been burned to many time with them so it may be best if i keep my mouth shut on this on, but another one i would check out would be the porter cable tiger saw, but on a side note with them is this black and decker witch also owns de walt just bought porter cable less then 2 years ago so i would really check out the chuck and over all design of the de walt and the porter cable to make sure that they are not the same tool molded in different colors.

    and welcome to the group
    9/11/01, never forget.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

      Buy the Milwaukee then rewrite your will to leave it to your great grandchildren.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

        Without a doubt - MILWAUKEE. Even their $99 recip saw is better than most others on the market.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

          Thanks to all who responded. After I signed onto this site last night, I did some research and went to several Milwaukee refurb sales sites and got the specs on several models. I feel comfortable with the Milwaukee as this would be my second one. I still have an older model from about 12 years ago and it is still going strong but lacks some of the power and features of the newer versions which is what prompted me to buy another.

          Should have gone with my gut instinct first. Now its back to the Home Depot for an exchange. I think I will go with the 11 amp orbital model, longer stroke since I already have a slower, shorter stroke older model.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

            Porter cable Tiger saw

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

              I use to like the Porter Cables a lot. Then two guys I work with both bought the model with the rotating handle. I was very unimpressed. Within a year, both of their saws developed a lot of slop in the handles no matter what position they were in. They just didn't seem to be built as well as the older P.Cables I was use to seeing. I have a Milwaukee 11 amp Super Sawzall (w/orbital) that I've been using on jobsites for 7 years now. I'll tell you, that's one heck of a saw. Doesn't look so pretty anymore, but still cuts just as good as when she was new. You'll never regret or second guess yourself for going with a Milwaukee.
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                Last mill. I had lasted for 17 yrs. Finally took a dump on me. I swung it around by the cord smashing it down on the concrete. (several times) Basically broke it in two. Tied it on the hitch of the van and drove around the job site slowly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                  No doubt about it. The "older" P.Cables were built like tanks. One of our foreman still uses a OLD silver die-cast body Milwaukee. Don't know how old that thing is, but I know it is really old. Only has a few amps of power, is about 1/2 the size of a modern recip saw, but the sucker still purrs like a kitten. I'd personally like to sucker him into selling it to me so I can buff it and display it on a shelf.
                  You only live once, so play with your tool often.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                    MILWAUKEE MILWAUKEE MILWAUKEE MILWAUKEE

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                      Originally posted by King Dork View Post
                      No doubt about it. The "older" P.Cables were built like tanks. One of our foreman still uses a OLD silver die-cast body Milwaukee. Don't know how old that thing is, but I know it is really old. Only has a few amps of power, is about 1/2 the size of a modern recip saw, but the sucker still purrs like a kitten. I'd personally like to sucker him into selling it to me so I can buff it and display it on a shelf.
                      Try hard to get it and fix it up. If you call Milwaukee tech support with the catalog/model number and serial number they (in most cases) can tell you the year and month it was made. 1-800-729-3878

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                        Milwaukee's recips are the best "Sawzall" is a trade name for a reason.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                          Originally posted by VTPLUMBER View Post
                          Milwaukee's recips are the best "Sawzall" is a trade name for a reason.

                          Latest 15 amp makita with antivibration technology JR3070CT rapes any 15 amp Milwaukee in terms of cutting speed and vibration. Tools Of The Trade conveniently left it out of the test but I tested both and while Milwaukee feels "solid", Makita feels lighter but a lot more precise and pretty much doesn't vibrate at all. A lot of people like to compare orbital Milwaukees to non-orbital other brands and go "OMFGBBQ MILWAUKEE IS DA BEST RECIP EVAR!!!11!1!1!". That's like comparing bandsaw to a hacksaw.

                          I'd go for Makita any time of the day. If I were to buy milwaukee, I'd buy something really old. Latest recips are just a fad that runs on fame of ole days.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                            Here's another recip saw test of the major manufacturers products. It's hard to understand how some of the saws could have done so poorly in the cut tests, but that's what is being reported. Some of the criteria is subjective at best, but cut speeds? Milwaukee and Makita head the pack in most tool categories and it carries out here also.

                            http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...e9886d4672&p=1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Reciprocating saw opinion

                              Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                              Latest 15 amp makita with antivibration technology JR3070CT rapes any 15 amp Milwaukee in terms of cutting speed and vibration. Tools Of The Trade conveniently left it out of the test but I tested both and while Milwaukee feels "solid", Makita feels lighter but a lot more precise and pretty much doesn't vibrate at all. A lot of people like to compare orbital Milwaukees to non-orbital other brands and go "OMFGBBQ MILWAUKEE IS DA BEST RECIP EVAR!!!11!1!1!". That's like comparing bandsaw to a hacksaw.

                              I'd go for Makita any time of the day. If I were to buy milwaukee, I'd buy something really old. Latest recips are just a fad that runs on fame of ole days.
                              You're right, I too would buy a really old Mil. over anything else. It's sure to last longer. Seriously, nothing against Makita, I've had the same Mak. weed eater for 15 yrs. it's awesome. I'm not in the business of testing saws either,other than running 5 2man crews in a maintenance shop in the largest university in the state of VA. NOTHING holds up under heavy use better than a Mil., We've been through them all, it's just the way it is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X