X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Ridgid Routers

Does anyone have any feedback on the fixed and plunge based routers. I am looking to buy a new router. I had a Craftsman and it only lasted a little over 20 hours and it quit working. I am a weekend woodworker and that isn't a long time. I am looking for some feedback to see if the Ridgid is going to last longer than the Craftsman. I have alot of other Ridgid tools. I am looking for quality in my Router as I would like to use it much more. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been pleased with all of my other Ridgid tools.

Re: Pros and Cons of Ridgid Routers

Originally posted by angelmanbaby View Post
    Does anyone have any feedback on the fixed and plunge based routers. I am looking to buy a new router. I had a Craftsman and it only lasted a little over 20 hours and it quit working. I am a weekend woodworker and that isn't a long time. I am looking for some feedback to see if the Ridgid is going to last longer than the Craftsman. I have alot of other Ridgid tools. I am looking for quality in my Router as I would like to use it much more. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been pleased with all of my other Ridgid tools.
    Can't give an opinion on the Ridgid router with 2 bases but I think Ridgid missed the mark on this one. After using a D-Handle router I find it so much easier to use the D-Handle than any other base. If and When I buy a new router it will have a fixed base, plunge base and a d-handle base.

Comment

I can't give you an opinion on Ridgid routers. I have a couple of Porter-Cable 690 series that you couldn't pry out of my hands! I have an old Craftsman -- probably 25 years old -- that still works OK as long as I stick with small diameter bits. I keep that one set up for a half-blind dovetail jig.
      John

Comment

Most of the fixed / plunge base combos are similar in price. I own the DeWalt set and can't find a bad thing to say about it. I've also used both the Porter Cable and Bosch sets and was equally impressed by both. My DeWalt set came with the 2 bases (fixed and plunge), and a case with 5 DeWalt router bits. I got it on clearance at a Sears for $90 because someone returned it. The cord was still factory wrapped and all the components were still individually bagged and never used.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I would choose a more standard brand. PC, DeWalt, Bosch probably set the standard. I got a Craftsman on sale, Sears has a much wider array of in stock accessories like subbases with different sized openings for Craftsman than HD does for Ridgid.

Comment

I've read both positive and negative reports from owners on the Ridgid router. I think Ridgid's biggest challenge here is the fact there is so much well proven competition in the same price range. The Ridgid might be fine, but it's doubtful that it's better than the stalwarts from Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Freud, Triton, Porter Cable, Hitachi, or Bosch....all of which are very good tools with a large loyal following. My advice is to pick the one that feels best in your hands.

Comment

It's a good router set but like many of Ridgids products it falls short in support and accessories as well as an apparent lack of interest in updating minor flaws. It's a very good machine with a few drawbacks in the bases. The fine adjustment systems need to be improved a little bit. They are plastic threads with a fair bit of play which makes dialing in very fine adjustments tricky. They lack a D-Handle base. Dust collection is really bad and poorly designed. It requires some fragile clear pieces to be screwed on to the bases. They are not very effective at collecting much dust and the hose hookup is very low on the base so the hose tends to snag on anything like a clamp holding a guide.

Comment

I have Dewalt 621 and love it. http://www.patwarner.com/dw621.html

Comment

I have four Porter Cables, one Ryobi that has never been out of the box that I bought for $10.00 at a HD clearance and a Ridgid trim router. The Ridgid trim router is great. If I need another full sized router I would buy a Ridgid based on how much I like the trim router.

-Tom

Comment

I have the Ridgid router, haven't used it a lot yet and that has mostly been in the router table. I had to buy a replacement router quickly after my PC690's motor went bad.

I've found the Ridgid to be very easy and helpful to use. Setting the bit height is much, much better and easier than the PC. In a table it is very easy to dial in the precise height needed using either the above table or the on router height adjustments. The clear bases and the light can be a handy feature, particularly for freehand work. Setting the plunge depth is also easy and secure. I've also found the soft start a nice to have feature.

I agree with the comments about the dust collection not being handy to use. I can't even install it on my router table. The shaft lock works well for changing bits, but the wrench's opening isn't offset at an angle, so they aren't easy to use. I've gone back to the PC's wrench, which is offset.

It is also true that Ridgid doesn't offer much (any?) extras for it. However, it appears that PC accessories fit it.

I've only had mine for a short while so I can't comment on the durability, but it does have the LSA going for it.

When I bought it I was in a hurry as I needed to finish up a project. I did look at Bosch, PC, Dewalt and maybe a couple of others. The Ridgid won on price, feel (I have small hands), and features – Oh, it was also readily available.
                    Dick

Comment

Bought it when it first came out, after spending a bit of time and effort finding it. In fact, I like it so much that I may buy a second kit since the router motor and fixed base currently reside in my router table. Above-table bit changes, no problem (with the Woodpecker plate). Height adjustments, no problem and very accurate. Dust collection? I solved that with an enclosed cabinet, so I have above and below table collection. And yes, PC accessories work fine. For the money, and with the LSA, you can't go wrong here.

And BTW, I also agree with Tom about the Ridgid trim router. It's a very good router for doing those small jobs. I keep one dedicated to a circle jig, and have another for flush trim operations.

Comment

I'll echo the positive comments. I purchased mine a couple of years ago when it was first introduced. This is a well built unit and the motor is relatively quiet and I like the soft-start feature as well as the electronic motor control.

I use mine almost exclusively in my router table (Rockler) and found it compatile with the Porter-Cable 890 mounting plate. It appears to share other "P-C compatibilities too, like their edge guide.

One of the two-bases (fixed, I believe) takes the P-C type guide bushings also (as does the Ridgid Trim Router) which are available from a number of sources.

For "in-hand" use (not in the table), the Ridgid is a little on the tall side when compared to some of the competition, but it still handles well and the LED lights are a plus in the shop. In the table, it has proven to be more than worthy, where it runs smooth and not nearly as noisey as some of the other routers that I've heard. Likewise, the "above table" adjustment is nice with the included T-handle wrench.

Overall, I think it's a fairly good deal and certainly the LLSA is a big plus, should you ever need service. I should also mention that the variable-speed dial actually has RPM referance numbers which is a bit better than the non-descrip serial indicators like 1-2-3, or A-B-C.

On the negative side, changing bits is not quite as easy as I would like, as the included wrenches seem to take up more room than needed. Also, I find the depth locking lever on the plunge base to be a bit of a reach with my thumb. If you've got large hands, that wouldn't be a problem of course. Last, but not least is the utter lack of after-market accessories or information from Ridgid. TTI seems to be good at designing and producing woodworking power tools, but once introduced there's little follow-up with accessories. I guess making sure this router accepts some of Porter-Cable's accessories was their way of fitting into the market.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I just purchased one today at Home Depot. Based on all the positive comments, I made a good decision. I will tell you after this weekend. I have garage waiting for cabinets....

Comment

Working...
                          X