X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for 14.4 batteries!

We had a 3 day camping trip to cut our Christmas tree this weekend and my wife insisted on having all her Christmas CD's along! Problem is her player takes EIGHT "D" batteries and they don't last that long. Got to thinking that my 14.4 Dewalt batteries would do the trick!! Charged up two of them and did a quick re-wire with two sticks to replace the batteries and we were good to go! Had enough wire to make the trip to the truck battery if the Dewalts crapped out too fast but they did fine, and saved about 20 bucks in batteries too!

Mark

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: New use for 14.4 batteries!

Nice mod! Make the sticks out of plastic, put it in a bubble pack with a silly name and you can sell it at the big box stores!
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I give you a hats off for coming up with this money saving idea. The only thing I would advise you do is lose the wood and use something that cannot conduct current or catch fire. I'm concerned if you have the radio in a tent or truck bed it could catch fire. Many, many years ago when I first started swapping car radios I used a 2x4 to prop a radio and it started smoking. Please be safe.

Comment

Dude,

I sooo NOT only love how you made this happen, BUT you took pictures through all the steps.

Nice, that's fookin awesome
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Thanks everyone. The sticks are out now and it's back on A/C. But it served it's purpose until next year! LOL Thinking of sending it off to DeWalt and see what they say, maybe a new drill????? LOL

Mark
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Hey nice job, that's very creative!

Comment

TWM

Nice going and I've done something kind of along that line but used round wood dowels rather than square pieces.

I wonder if you don't have a bit too high Voltage however. 8) D cells in series would give you around 8 x 1.6 = 12.8 Volts under no load when brand new and more like 8 x 1.2 = 9.6 to 8 x 1.4 = 11.2 under load. I think maybe a 12 Volt Ni-Cad or Ni-MH power tool battery would make a better match. Most likely the device was designed for automotive lighter input and then 14 Volts or so would be OK. Some devices have Voltage regulators set lower than normal battery Voltage so they don't mess up as the battery is being used.

Could it be that the device holds 10) D cells? or that the tool battery is closer to 12 Volts?

What matters is that it seemed to work for your needs.

Comment

I figured it was a tad over powered but also seem to recall that rechargables aren't really 1.5v per cell. But it worked fine for 2 days so it was a win.

I also sent some pics to DeWalt and got a reply today. They said thanks for sending them in. Oh well, no freebee this time! LOL

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                  I figured it was a tad over powered but also seem to recall that rechargables aren't really 1.5v per cell. But it worked fine for 2 days so it was a win.

I also sent some pics to DeWalt and got a reply today. They said thanks for sending them in. Oh well, no freebee this time! LOL

Mark

Always include your address in the email
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                  X