X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum tank compressor problems.

I am on the 3rd one of these and they all failed the same way.The only time the compressor will start is with empty tanks,but when the pressure drops instead of starting the motor just hums then stops.I install cabinets and have only a few hours on this one with a brad nailer,and no extension cord.

The light weight of this compressor appeals to me,but it is not worth the trouble.Now they won't exchange it and want to send it out for repair,est time 2 weeks.Rental for this period at Home depot is nearly $250 with tax so I will buy a new compressor instead of renting.

I really got rooked!

Re: Aluminum tank compressor problems.

From what I am hearing, it sounds like the compressor motor is being starved of the amperage it needs to function. Either the building wiring might be of too small a gauge to handle the compressor's amperage requirements or if you have an extension cord that functions between the power source and the compressor it might be of insufficient size to handle the amperage needed for the compressor. Had the same thing happen to me on a remodel where my compressor wheezed and moaned, but wouldn't run. I thought it was history, but it was only a couple of months old. I broke out my 5000 watt generator and it solved the problem and saved me a trip to the service center. Try a different power source or an approved extension cord of a lower gauge wire equipped to handle the current pull of the compressor.

Comment

As said test the line voltage and amps drawn both in static and run.
      I have a dislike for airless compressors until I bought the "tank" Thomas Air power twin tank ,off CL for $100. They are very heavy but for a reason. Solid, heavy steel construction, continuous duty rated, fast recycle rates. Never read or heard a bad thing about a Thomas compressor. That is rare esp. on an non oil lube. For an airless compressor that is the one to buy, excellent build and made in the USA with a real Emerson USA motor, but the one I have is older, as it was bought used. I also have a oil lubed Hitachi AC12 [older made in Italy]which is good but not as good as the Air Power for delivery and speed, and a DeVilbiss hotdog which is basically the same as the PC red pancake, which has really supprised me in that it has held up in limited use for about 15 years. Makita has some good A/C's too. DW has mixed reviews on their Emglo's line as the have ruined their previous very high reputation by changing for the cheap.
      You should have the Ridgig repaired and buy a backup.

Comment

Our company has gone through quite a few of the twin tank (not the aluminum model) Ridgid compressors, a few oil-lube and a few oil-free, and they've all crapped out within several months of being new. We've since replaced them with other brands and haven't had any problems. I do a lot of kitchen and bath remodels, along with a lot of trim work. My 6 gallon oil-free Bostitch has served me for about 5 years now and still runs as strong as ever (even occasionally running a framing gun or 2 roofing nailers). For the small trim jobs I have a 1 gallon Senco which I love. It's small, light, and VERY quiet. Also, I've uses both the Makita jobsite and trim compressors and they're excellent. Next one I buy will be a Makita. Hopefully, mine will continue to perform like they do though.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I've got the twin-tank Ridgid aluminum oil-free compressor, 2.5 gallon methinks. I've run it through about 150-175 cycles now, in roughly a year, with about 10 times of fully draining, emptying, letting sit empty for a few days/weeks, then refilling and going again. Granted, that might not be a "lot" of usage (I don't do full-time pro work, just occasional part-time odd-jobs around town), but it's still a fair bit for this "little pumper". I definitely use it fairly well for what it was designed to do. I haven't had any running problems with mine, no pressure drop-offs, no noticable/definitively increasing running time for filling itself up, not a single negative change in it's performance from day one. Maybe you got a bad one of a bunch, I'm not sure, or you have a different model than mine. But it seems to work okay, this one anyways - I'm pleased with it's value for my money thus far.

And I agree with Spinalzo - it sounds like a power-starvation issue. Either power draw, or even motor windings maybe.
          Last edited by canucksartech; 12-06-2008, 10:36 PM. Reason: Speelling

Comment

My suggestion, get rid of it and get Makita MAC700. Check it out, very high CFM, low current draw and the quietest of all small compressors. Has very large cylinder.

Comment

Working...
            X