Opinion on 24V vs 18V drill sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinion on 24V vs 18V drill sets

I see Wartex is making some new friends............

Wartex, why don't you just pack up your crap and go sell your DeWalt tools somewhere else? Stop masquerading as a tool reviewer when you're really a tool seller. All you're doing is annoying people.

Whatever your game is, people are on to it. You post a thread about a Ridgid recip saw coming last in a review, then you dispute the review itself when I mention that Milwaukee beat out DeWalt in that same review.

All of a sudden the review wasn't a good one, yet it was good enough to slag Ridgid?

Some times you might want to remember that Ridgid is the sponsor of this forum, so you might step on some toes with your constant yammering about yellow tools.

Then again, you probably would take a Whopper to McDonalds and tell the staff why it's superior to a Big Mac......how you took the burger out and banged it with your "anvil"....
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
      RRRay,

Just an aside regarding the impact drivers. I have two of the 18v Ridgid impact drivers and have run them on the 1.5 ah Lithiums and the 3.0 ah Lithiums. What I found out is that on larger lags or bolts on hold downs, etc. when I really need to have work performed and quickly, I use one of the 18 volt NiCads as they seem to allow more amperage pull from the batteries than will the Lithium batteries. The Lithium batteries have just too much current monitoring circuitry that just won't allow the amount of power the impacts need. What's your thoughts? Have you run into that situation with the impacts? It gets the job done faster, but the battery runtime is definitely decreased and with some greater weight.
      I too have noticed that a bit. I switch over to my 24 volt XLi batteries with my MaxSelect impact (rather than my 18 volt lithiums), for big heavy-duty driving with the impact, like with lags.

Comment

Drill_Newbie, welcome to the forum. I too second the opinion (or third, or fourth, or whatever the case may be) that you need to use a good corded drill for mixing mud. I have used my 24 volt XLI hammerdrill from the 3-piece 24 volt lithium kit for mixing thinset once before. And while it handled the job fairly well, I wouldn't recommend it. I burnt through the battery much faster than I thought I would (didn't kill it outright, but started with a full battery, and after about 3 minutes of mixing in low gear, I only had 1/2 a battery left, but it did go back up to 3/4 after allowing it to sit for about 5 minutes after use). And no, unlike what Wartex said, I didn't strip my gearbox or damage my drill or cause the universe to implode. I do feel that this drill is sturdy and beefy enough to stand up to this task. However, I'm also only talking about mixing thinset - mixing plaster/mud is something a bit different. While I have no doubts that this drill could handle it, I wouldn't recommend it, or want to do it repeatedly. This usage exerts a lot of stress on a drill. I wouldn't want to use the 24 volt drill consistently for this - once or twice a day might be the most I'd do, as I'm sure the hard use exerts some heavy resistance and fatigue to the drill's motor windings, wires, trigger, etc. The best bet, like others have said also, is a good corded drill. Go with a decent D-handle (or Spade-handle) drill, as this is exactly what they're made for - mixing. They are higher amperage, lower RPM but with more torque, have heavier-duty gauged wiring and other internal components, and quite simply, you don't have to worry about burning through a battery and causing it to have a less-effective operating range and a shorter lifespan. Get a good spade / d-handle, and you won't regret it.
        Last edited by canucksartech; 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM. Reason: Speelling

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          I see Wartex is making some new friends............

Then again, you probably would take a Whopper to McDonalds and tell the staff why it's superior to a Big Mac......how you took the burger out and banged it with your "anvil"....
          Best...slap...upside...the...head...EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
            ...my site is an online community and not a sales portal in any way, shape or form. So your accent on me attacking Ridgid based on brand bias is totally false.
            That's a load of crap. Your "online community" is a giant posting board that you have created for yourself. Of the upteen number of threads and tool reviews and other crap on there, it's all by you. And I remember when you first started on here, and posting a hotlink to your site in your signature line, it's sort of like spamming as far as we're concerned - to come on here and try to sway others to "check out my site", to get your traffic rating up, make some money, etc. It's your own little forum, where you get to act like the ultimate omnipotent being of tool info. All hail WARTEX!!!

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            You HAVE offered to sell tools in posts on this forum so you are funtioning as a competitor regardless of what claims you make about your web site. The web site offers tools for sale and we have no knowledge of what financial relationships you have with those sellers, however I know it isn't out of the kindness of your heart.
            LMFAO

Man you are so full of it it's amazing. I'm not even going to argue about this.
            You mean to tell us that you aren't trying to make money by selling tools? So, did we all misunderstand one of your many earlier posts, "BTW I sell power tools... just saying..."

I never said ridgid tools are all bad.
            Granted. However, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those of us on here, when you come on here like "listen to me, I'm an expert", and try to steer people away from Ridgid on a Ridgid forum, and try to steer them to your own self-serving website/forum, trying to sell them tools. Hey, I'm not 100% innocent either - I also sell tools. But on eBay. At no point have I ever steered anyone to any of my own sales on eBay. I've had people ask me about them, sure, but I don't try to sway them or convince them to buy from me. I don't spout off my sales pitches on the forum.

Ridgid uses Moli Energy cells which are not suitable for power tools and have a very short life span. How would you feel if you knew your car's engine pistons were made of lead instead of steel? That's a stab in consumer's back.
            Funny, they seem to work just fine in all of my tools, and in the tools of all those that I know who own Ridgid tools (or other tools that use Moli's cells). And guess what. If I had a choice to buy a car with lead pistons, and granted, they may only last me 4 years instead of 7, but guess what? I'd be fine with that, if I knew they were going to be covered and replaced free of charge for as long as I owned the car. That's the choice of an informed consumer, which is what this forum helps with. For those of us who have made that choice, it's not a "stab in consumer's back" by the company, nor are those of us "sheep" or "stupid". It's our choice, and there is nothing wrong with that, apparently than that we don't agree with your recommendations.

Metals that are used for gears are low-grade steel (take one off the motor spindle from Bosch and one from a Ridgid drill, and then hammer it on an anvil, see what happens) and gearbox is some kind of soft, large-grain alloy.
            Who does this???

I'm not a fan of ridgid cordless tools
            (plumbing gear is great) because they are of mediocre quality and TTI capitalizes on a fact that their manufacturing costs are half of Dewalt/Makita/Bosch *BUT* their tools cost just a quarter less.
            Really? You sure? Because on your omnipotent-Wartex-forum, you state, "Ryobi is made by the same factory that makes Ridgid tools, which are heavy-duty contractor-grade. So the beauty of Ryobi is being dirt-cheap and much higher quality than "home use" crap you get from H-D, Lowes, Rona etc." But they're not professional enough for you to like, nor to get off the backs of those on here who are professionals/contractors, and who use them and love them?

If somebody happens to live within 5 miles of the service centere and their particular problem was fixed is not an indicator of quality of service. I higly doubt Ridgid will pay for shipping a drill from Nova Scotia to Quebec to process LSA. Yes they might be having backorder problems due to increased demand, etc etc, you must remember that consumer absolutely doesn't care about this. Point is, on a global scale, that Ridgid's warranty service is 3 out of 5 stars compared to any other major brand, and they do nothing to fix it.
            So you're saying, since you presumably live in Nova Scotia, that you don't like them because you'd have to ship them to Quebec for LLSA service? Am I reading that accurately? Because, if so, there's issues here. You have posted some fairly decent posts about ratings and other specifications between tools/brands. And you state that you are "scientific" about it, and that things aren't left up to interpretation or personal bias. But you're saying you'd have to ship to Quebec for service, and therefore the LLSA is bad? Well, I looked up the different service centers for your region. I myself am in Ontario, and we have 50 different centers throughout the province. For you in Nova Scotia, there are 6 different listed service centers (and Nova Scotia isn't that big of a province, in area or population, so I feel that's pretty good). Even Newfoundland has 7, and New Brunswick has 11. The big province of Manitoba has 7, just about the same as Nova Scotia, and it is many times larger in size, so you're doing pretty good there on the East Coast.

Therefore, it's my opinion that I now need to take everything you say with a grain of salt. If you, unwittingly or not, sway the bias/results of your "scientific testing" as you sway the actualities of the LLSA and listed service centers in your area, you cannot be taken as an unbiased, neutral party. And the flip side of that coin, if you did not realize/know that there were said listed service centers in your area, then you did not do your homework, and were not fully informed about something as simple as the LLSA/service centers, and that is inexcusable if you are going to spout off "scientific" and "expert" advice about something. Simple.

I'm in Canada and their service centers are nowhere to be found here, there maybe like 7 in entire country, and we are talking 30 millions and growing.
            In reference to what I just said, a perfect example of your gross over-exaggeration, and not the scientific and neutral-bias that you state you have.

I make recommendations solely on this principle. If the guy is going to mix mud with his drill, Ridgid WILL burn out and he won't be able to claim warranty, thus losing money because they will see damaged commutator, windings, molten impressions in the casing around the motor etc. I'm trying to be realistic when it comes to tools. Making cabinets? Ridgid 18v li-ion drill will do. Drilling concrete? Only 36v Dewalt, Hilti or Bosch. Putting up metal siding or HVAC? Makita 18v li-ion impacts. Demolishing? 28v Milwaukee recip.
            Again, the main reason that your posts are begining to chap people's rear ends, is that you spout this stuff, without any basis. You do bench tests, and ohm readings, and computerized simulations, and gear-smashing-hammer tests, and whatever other crap you do as a "programmer". You don't seem to do (at least not from what I can read into from your posts) any continuous real world tests, or actually use these tools extensively as a contractor/professional. You discredit the opinions/posts of others on here as inaccurate - others who use these tools day-in and day-out, over many months/years. Now, I myself don't use these tools every day right now over the past 4 months (having fun with the newborn baby, which Ray, I must say you were right - little buggers sure get going quick!). But I myself, along with many others on here, have used them day in and day out on many jobsites, in many conditions, in many varying extremes, and for many uses. Granted, those of us could have also got our tools from very good quality runs, just as you could have also got stuck with some potential lemons - it all does sometimes boil down to a roll of the dice on some mass-manufactured stuff these days. But, the thing you don't seem to get is that you shoving your opinions down other people's throats doesn't really enamor you to the crowd, considering the short time you've been on here, and the lack of unbiased, real-world usage that you perform to get your opinions, as a non-contractor apparently. When it comes to power tools, majority opinion rules. And not surprising, on a Ridgid forum, the majority of people love their Ridgid power tools. Don't use technical drivel to talk down people for making the decision they did. And don't claim to spout off non-biased, non-sales-pitch info, when it's blatently clear to all of us that's not the face value of what we're getting.

Okay. Sorry for the rant. I think we've hijacked Drill_Newbie's thread - sorry for that bud. We're not all evil on here! Welcome to the forum, and feel free to ask away. Be sure to use the "search" tool on the top of the forum pages - use it just like Google, and you'll be amazed at the valuable wealth of information that's stored on here.

Sorry for the hijack, Drill_Newbie. Welcome.
            Last edited by canucksartech; 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM. Reason: Spelling and formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              I too have noticed that a bit. I switch over to my 24 volt XLi batteries with my MaxSelect impact (rather than my 18 volt lithiums), for big heavy-duty driving with the impact, like with lags.
              Canuck,

I have the 18v impact driver which I carry around with the compact 1.5 ah battery. But, when it comes to socking something down of any magnitude, I throw on one of the 18v 2.5ah HC batteries because it is not monitored by any BMT circuitry and the tools pulls more current out of those than the lithiums. Just seems to perform faster and stronger on the bigger stuff - trade off is less run time, but usually I'm not using it on a constant basis all day. Noticed it when I had to hang 4 garage doors with all associated hardware and stuff that the NiCads were a stronger move.

Comment

That's an interesting observation with the NiCd vs the Li batteries. You are saying that by using the Li battery in the tool, it's capability is limited when compared to how it operates with a NiCd battery. I knew that you could draw more current from a NiCd battery than a Li battery, but I thought the result would be that the Li battery would shut-down when you reached that limit.

Does this same thing happen with the saws? I don't have any of the saws, but they tend to be the power hogs.

Comment

Calder,

Don't really know with the saws as they have always handled the load that was on them for me. But, it appears that with the impact it'll go through a hammering process without much movement of the socket (am referring to large lag bolts and the like) until I put on the NiCad. Then, you start seeing movement and work getting done. Little more heat given off by the tool because of the greater current draw, but much more work.

RoadRashRay in a previous thread mentioned the 14.4v impact as being more potent than the 18/24 MaxSelect which I agree with that assessment. The 14.4v impact is also running on NiCads. Common power source for the 14.4 and the 18v is the NiCad battery vs. the Lithium powered product. Both are good, but in an extremely high draw situation for the Ridgid impact motor, the NiCad wins out to me. Just my observation though. I go in the job with the 1.5ah's on the tools, but have the NiCads in the truck mounted tool box for the extreme situations.
                  Not every situation is extreme, but when it arises, I still reach for the NiCads over the 3.0ah lithiums even.

Oh, by the way, same process with the drills. Big hole - NiCads as they don't cut out, but keep turning.
                  Last edited by Spinalzo; 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM. Reason: Drill informaiton added

Comment

...my site is an online community and not a sales portal in any way, shape or form. So your accent on me attacking Ridgid based on brand bias is totally false.
                    That's a load of crap. Your "online community" is a giant posting board that you have created for yourself. Of the upteen number of threads and tool reviews and other crap on there, it's all by you. And I remember when you first started on here, and posting a hotlink to your site in your signature line, it's sort of like spamming as far as we're concerned - to come on here and try to sway others to "check out my site", to get your traffic rating up, make some money, etc. It's your own little forum, where you get to act like the ultimate omnipotent being of tool info. All hail WARTEX!!!

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                    You HAVE offered to sell tools in posts on this forum so you are funtioning as a competitor regardless of what claims you make about your web site. The web site offers tools for sale and we have no knowledge of what financial relationships you have with those sellers, however I know it isn't out of the kindness of your heart.
                    LMFAO

Man you are so full of it it's amazing. I'm not even going to argue about this.
                    You mean to tell us that you aren't trying to make money by selling tools? So, did we all misunderstand one of your many earlier posts, "BTW I sell power tools... just saying..."

I never said ridgid tools are all bad.
                    Granted. However, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those of us on here, when you come on here like "listen to me, I'm an expert", and try to steer people away from Ridgid on a Ridgid forum, and try to steer them to your own self-serving website/forum, trying to sell them tools. Hey, I'm not 100% innocent either - I also sell tools. But on eBay. At no point have I ever steered anyone to any of my own sales on eBay. I've had people ask me about them, sure, but I don't try to sway them or convince them to buy from me. I don't spout off my sales pitches on the forum.

Ridgid uses Moli Energy cells which are not suitable for power tools and have a very short life span. How would you feel if you knew your car's engine pistons were made of lead instead of steel? That's a stab in consumer's back.
                    Funny, they seem to work just fine in all of my tools, and in the tools of all those that I know who own Ridgid tools (or other tools that use Moli's cells). And guess what. If I had a choice to buy a car with lead pistons, and granted, they may only last me 4 years instead of 7, but guess what? I'd be fine with that, if I knew they were going to be covered and replaced free of charge for as long as I owned the car. That's the choice of an informed consumer, which is what this forum helps with. For those of us who have made that choice, it's not a "stab in consumer's back" by the company, nor are those of us "sheep" or "stupid". It's our choice, and there is nothing wrong with that, apparently than that we don't agree with your recommendations.

Metals that are used for gears are low-grade steel (take one off the motor spindle from Bosch and one from a Ridgid drill, and then hammer it on an anvil, see what happens) and gearbox is some kind of soft, large-grain alloy.
                    Who does this???

I'm not a fan of ridgid cordless tools
                    (plumbing gear is great) because they are of mediocre quality and TTI capitalizes on a fact that their manufacturing costs are half of Dewalt/Makita/Bosch *BUT* their tools cost just a quarter less.
                    Really? You sure? Because on your omnipotent-Wartex-forum, you state, "Ryobi is made by the same factory that makes Ridgid tools, which are heavy-duty contractor-grade. So the beauty of Ryobi is being dirt-cheap and much higher quality than "home use" crap you get from H-D, Lowes, Rona etc." But they're not professional enough for you to like, nor to get off the backs of those on here who are professionals/contractors, and who use them and love them?

If somebody happens to live within 5 miles of the service centere and their particular problem was fixed is not an indicator of quality of service. I higly doubt Ridgid will pay for shipping a drill from Nova Scotia to Quebec to process LSA. Yes they might be having backorder problems due to increased demand, etc etc, you must remember that consumer absolutely doesn't care about this. Point is, on a global scale, that Ridgid's warranty service is 3 out of 5 stars compared to any other major brand, and they do nothing to fix it.
                    So you're saying, since you presumably live in Nova Scotia, that you don't like them because you'd have to ship them to Quebec for LLSA service? Am I reading that accurately? Because, if so, there's issues here. You have posted some fairly decent posts about ratings and other specifications between tools/brands. And you state that you are "scientific" about it, and that things aren't left up to interpretation or personal bias. But you're saying you'd have to ship to Quebec for service, and therefore the LLSA is bad? Well, I looked up the different service centers for your region. I myself am in Ontario, and we have 50 different centers throughout the province. For you in Nova Scotia, there are 6 different listed service centers (and Nova Scotia isn't that big of a province, in area or population, so I feel that's pretty good). Even Newfoundland has 7, and New Brunswick has 11. The big province of Manitoba has 7, just about the same as Nova Scotia, and it is many times larger in size, so you're doing pretty good there on the East Coast.

Therefore, it's my opinion that I now need to take everything you say with a grain of salt. If you, unwittingly or not, sway the bias/results of your "scientific testing" as you sway the actualities of the LLSA and listed service centers in your area, you cannot be taken as an unbiased, neutral party. And the flip side of that coin, if you did not realize/know that there were said listed service centers in your area, then you did not do your homework, and were not fully informed about something as simple as the LLSA/service centers, and that is inexcusable if you are going to spout off "scientific" and "expert" advice about something. Simple.

I'm in Canada and their service centers are nowhere to be found here, there maybe like 7 in entire country, and we are talking 30 millions and growing.
                    In reference to what I just said, a perfect example of your gross over-exaggeration, and not the scientific and neutral-bias that you state you have.

I make recommendations solely on this principle. If the guy is going to mix mud with his drill, Ridgid WILL burn out and he won't be able to claim warranty, thus losing money because they will see damaged commutator, windings, molten impressions in the casing around the motor etc. I'm trying to be realistic when it comes to tools. Making cabinets? Ridgid 18v li-ion drill will do. Drilling concrete? Only 36v Dewalt, Hilti or Bosch. Putting up metal siding or HVAC? Makita 18v li-ion impacts. Demolishing? 28v Milwaukee recip.
                    Again, the main reason that your posts are begining to chap people's rear ends, is that you spout this stuff, without any basis. You do bench tests, and ohm readings, and computerized simulations, and gear-smashing-hammer tests, and whatever other crap you do as a "programmer". You don't seem to do (at least not from what I can read into from your posts) any continuous real world tests, or actually use these tools extensively as a contractor/professional. You discredit the opinions/posts of others on here as inaccurate - others who use these tools day-in and day-out, over many months/years. Now, I myself don't use these tools every day right now over the past 4 months (having fun with the newborn baby, which Ray, I must say you were right - little buggers sure get going quick!). But I myself, along with many others on here, have used them day in and day out on many jobsites, in many conditions, in many varying extremes, and for many uses. Granted, those of us could have also got our tools from very good quality runs, just as you could have also got stuck with some potential lemons - it all does sometimes boil down to a roll of the dice on some mass-manufactured stuff these days. But, the thing you don't seem to get is that you shoving your opinions down other people's throats doesn't really enamor you to the crowd, considering the short time you've been on here, and the lack of unbiased, real-world usage that you perform to get your opinions, as a non-contractor apparently. When it comes to power tools, majority opinion rules. And not surprising, on a Ridgid forum, the majority of people love their Ridgid power tools. Don't use technical drivel to talk down people for making the decision they did. And don't claim to spout off non-biased, non-sales-pitch info, when it's blatently clear to all of us that's not the face value of what we're getting.

Okay. Sorry for the rant. I think we've hijacked Drill_Newbie's thread - sorry for that bud. We're not all evil on here! Welcome to the forum, and feel free to ask away. Be sure to use the "search" tool on the top of the forum pages - use it just like Google, and you'll be amazed at the valuable wealth of information that's stored on here.

Sorry for the hijack, Drill_Newbie. Welcome.

Comment

To be fair, Milwaukee beating DeWalt in that review is sort of a "yes and no" thing depending on the reader's perspective. The winners I think were chosen by the tool reviewer as far as which tool they personally liked overall regardless of the numbers from the tests. Apples to apples I think the 28V DeWalt actually beat the 28V Milwaukee in cutting speed, IIRC. But correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only going by memory here.

What I really loved about that review is that the lowly 20V Crafstman recip saw gave everyone a run for the money in cut speed including the big 28 and 36V saws. Craftsman always gets the bum end of everyone's tool reviews and they come around with this little monster and smoke the big boys. Awesome!

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                      when I mention that Milwaukee beat out DeWalt in that same review.

Comment

Whoa there big guy, hold your horses. First of all, to prove a point:
                        http://forum.drc.su/groupcp.php?g=288

This is my "DRC" community members (beside other). Please look at their post numbers. There are other people who post a lot. This site has been up for half a decade (check first user registration date). If you play quake 3, esp InstaUnlagged or CPMA mod, you can ask around on busy servers and a lot of people know us (DRC Clan). There are also hidden forums that you don't see unless you join specific usergroups.

I'm the admin on this forum and that's why I'm omnipresent, DUUUUUUUUUH! Go to ANY forums of broad interest and see that admins are in top 10 posters.

Secondly, look at the main page:
                        http://forum.drc.su

My "toolbox" section has hardly 25 posts, and "General" has about 1500. I also want you to point out where exactly I actively sell tools on my forum. I would also like to remind you that I offered maybe once to sell my old Makita BTP140 hybrid impact on this forum, if this makes me a big bad salesman that you've got issues. I bought it for $499+HST and now selling the bare tool for $140. If you call that "making money", I hope I never do business with you.

Google ads are there to pay for my hosting, which generate ENTIRE $92 !!!!!!!!!! over a course of 1 year. My hosting is $97 with dreamhost and my domain is $25 (last year was $120 USD) with www.nic.ru. I only get paid $0.03 - 0.07 per click, and NOBODY ever clicks those beside some poor souls who get to my site via google search results.

Also, if you look at the counters on the bottom of the index page, I get 40-60 UNIQUE visitors a day, every day, so my content, while not the best, is hardly "crap".
                        The reviews I write (which I started doing recently) and videos are made entirely by me. You sir, on the other hand, have nothing to show.

Now about service centers. I admit I was wrong about shipping to Quebec, I take that back. That does not invalidate my tool tests in any way, you are setting up a straw man "if you didn't search for service centres it makes your other research worthless" and it doesn't work that way.

When I speak of service centers I'm talking about a FACTORY service centers, not the "Lawn & Garden" "authorized" type places you found via http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...ServiceCenters

The difference being is that these places almost never have parts, and besides fixing brushes or windings, they always end up either sending your stuff somewhere or ordering parts for it from somewhere and then you wait. There is a Makita and Delta/PorterCable/Dewalt centers here in Halifax which have a huge stock of parts for pretty much anything and I can just walk in there and buy some obscure plastic gizmo for my router or a drill or have them put it in within a day, 4 days MAX. In 2 years of buying parts from either one I never had anything backordered.

I'm going to call these ridgid "centers" tomorrow and ask around what they offer. I alredy know the answer but just to uphold my "scientific" standards, I'll call and ask around. If they offer full service, I will take my words back.

I would also like to say that my "occupation" label on this forum doesn't reflect the fact that I use my tools on a daily basis, because you know, people have more than one job. I thought i'll specify something a little less gay than "Fulfilling the "Honey-do-list"". I'm security/access control/cctv tech at my day job and I do a lot of steel and aluminum cutting for installing door strikes, door contacts, pulling wire and conduit. I also drill concrete. I work in industrial and commercial environment (power plants, refinery, mines) so I have to go thru steel beams, concrete walls, steel dors, metal siding, brick, you name it. I also finish basements which involves a lot of cutting of metal stubs from the concrete walls, concerete grinding, use of nail guns, table saws, miter saws etc.

Let me also educate you on my "bench" tests, which are otherwise called synthetic tests. Power tools application varies greatly from job to job and from person to person, so they cannot be taken into account as the real measure unless you have data on every single parameter such as age of battery, accessories used, frequency of application, battery charge, current consumption. Synthetic tests show either the worst case scenario or the mean depending on what statistic algorithm is applied. My tests reflect the mean with batteries and worst case with tool performance because this is as close as you will get to every day application. Some people have old batteries but they are fully charged when used, some people have new batteries but they are half-dead, some people have new+charged, some have old+half-dead. Tool performance on the other hand doesn't degrade with time as much so you want to see what is the worst performance of a tool, in case it is the best-performing tool in a batch, that will make it closer to the mean value. If you look at my fluorescent light comparison and show me a single person with "real life use" who can squeeze even 5% more of runtime out of either light, I will send you a cheque for $100. Same goes for my grinder tests.

That being said, I own a ridgid shopvac, air filter (af2100), Milwaukee nailgun and bunch of other small stuff. I'm happy with performance I'm getting for the money paid.

I'm also no evil at all, you just make it sound a lot worse than it is. The fact that you get all worked up about my opinion just shows that *I am* unbiased, and you are a hardcore fanboy. I'm just a nobody on the internet. You are fully entitled to disagree with my opinion. Feel free to pick this post to bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                          To be fair, Milwaukee beating DeWalt in that review is sort of a "yes and no" thing depending on the reader's perspective. The winners I think were chosen by the tool reviewer as far as which tool they personally liked overall regardless of the numbers from the tests. Apples to apples I think the 28V DeWalt actually beat the 28V Milwaukee in cutting speed, IIRC. But correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only going by memory here.

What I really loved about that review is that the lowly 20V Crafstman recip saw gave everyone a run for the money in cut speed including the big 28 and 36V saws. Craftsman always gets the bum end of everyone's tool reviews and they come around with this little monster and smoke the big boys. Awesome!
                          Craftsman was an orbital recip, apples and oranges here.

Comment

Craftsman was an orbital recip, apples and oranges here.
                            Oh really?

Here is the page from the review from Tools of The Trade:

http://toolsofthetrade.net/industry-...78706&artnum=2

And here is what they said on that page:

This lower-voltage saw is the fastest cutter and the only tool with orbital cutting action. Even with the orbital setting off, it only added five seconds to its cut time, still beating all but the winner.
                            I believe that's called apples to apples.

Comment

I thought i'll specify something a little less gay than "Fulfilling the "Honey-do-list"".
                              Ummmmmm......do you realize there's guys on this forum that own cases full of guns and would hunt you down for less than what you just said/implied to canucksartech??

Guys have gotten banned for less........especially guys with less than a hundred posts, most of them annoying critiques of tools manufactured by the site sponsor.....
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                                Oh really?

Here is the page from the review from Tools of The Trade:

http://toolsofthetrade.net/industry-...78706&artnum=2

And here is what they said on that page:

I believe that's called apples to apples.

Damn, will have to check it out tomorrow. That's impressive.

Edit: just looked again, has the same spec as ridgid except voltage. There must be more than just magic to get twice the speed. Will have to buy one and test it I bet the initial SPM on full battery charge exceed 2500 or the zero orbit is not really zero.
                                Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X