X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinion on 24V vs 18V drill sets

So I received the 24v LiON 3-pc as a xmas gift..haven't yet used it as I like to research stuff..hence finding this forum...

kind of on the same topis as OP, but if you had to choose, which would it be & why??

3-pc 24v LiOn R931 set vs. new X3 5-pc 18v LiOn set?
    price for 24v was $199.20 from HD's clearance + 20% discount, but as per a lot of post and specs, the X3 may be a better/allround buy?

I'm not looking at price as a factor..more about the quality of the tool.
    and before DRC chimes in about the warranty/reliability of the Rigids...i've already made up my mind to buy the Rigid brand for my next set.
    (I currently have a 4-pc 19.2v Crasftman that I feel will be done soon, hence the small upgrade)

tia

Comment

Originally posted by sienna owner View Post
      3-pc 24v LiOn R931 set vs. new X3 5-pc 18v LiOn set?
      price for 24v was $199.20 from HD's clearance + 20% discount, but as per a lot of post and specs, the X3 may be a better/allround buy?
      (I currently have a 4-pc 19.2v Crasftman that I feel will be done soon, hence the small upgrade)
      IMO the 24V is a big upgrade (torque,lithium,hammer,LSA) over your 19.2V especially at the price you paid. The X3 has significant improvements to make Ridgid competitive (torque,lithium,hammer,LSA) to the other brands. I would add the 24V to my mix of 18V and MaxSelect accessories tools when the price is right in my area. The X3 looks very interesting: lighter hammer drill, orbital recip, versatile light and speedy circ.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
        IMO the 24V is a big upgrade (torque,lithium,hammer,LSA) over your 19.2V especially at the price you paid. The X3 has significant improvements to make Ridgid competitive (torque,lithium,hammer,LSA) to the other brands. I would add the 24V to my mix of 18V and MaxSelect accessories tools when the price is right in my area. The X3 looks very interesting: lighter hammer drill, orbital recip, versatile light and speedy circ.

definitely agree it's an upgrade..hence my desire to stick with the Ridgid line...agree that the X3 is interesting with the difference you stated...hence my spinning head on which kit to get???
        i think i'm leaning towards to X3..if i add the circ & impact to the 24v combo, assuming $100 for each, it would bring the combo up to $400....which i may be able to get the X3 combo for....maybe wait for the 20% sale on top of that too??

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          Welcome to the forum. Sorry I jumped into your thread with a rant. Now on to your questions.........
          1- Mixing mud.....We have a lot of cordless tools however due to the power required we always use an old Milwaukee CORDED drill when mixing mud. I have no experiance with the 36V tools, however many posts I have seen would indicate others with experiance continue to recommend corded drills for this application.
          2-Drywall fastening.....If you are doing alot the recommendation is a corded drywall screwgun which is simply a far superior performer to any cordless tool. We use cordless impact tools occaisionaly for short jobs. If I were choosing a tool for DIY work I would probably would purchase a impact tool for this purpose unless I was doing most of a house.
          3-Cordless reciprocating saws are very handy for demo work,tree trimming, and any cut which requires a reach or where nails, screws, concrete of other metal might be involved. They are very handy. Reciprocating saws are indespensable for professional contractors and the current crop of cordless saws are so efficient that we seldom pull the old corded milwaukee out of the case any more.
          Sooooooooo for the tool recommendations based on your stated purposes.....
          1-corded drill for mixing mud.
          2-18V cordless drill and impact tool combo for all around general purpose drilling and screwing. I couldn't recommend the Ridgid set for this as the auto shift is so new that it might have problems that haven't been exposed yet and I question the utility of auto shift. We use the ridgid 18V impact and Ridgid MaxSelect impact at work and the 18V impact is a sub standard performer and the 24V MaxSelect is only adaquate. Personal use and test results at Tools on Line indicate the Makita is a superior performer and you might try the Makita 18V drill/impact combo set. I have mixed emotions with this recommendation because we have several of the Ridgid 18V compact drills which I feel are excellant tools and of course the LLSA is important, however the Ridgid 18V impact and the MaxSelect impact are such poor performers I can't recommend them. The Makita 18V recip and circ saws are adaquate performers also.
          3-24V tools.....For the uses you describe I wouldn't recommend them. The 24V hammer drill which we have a couple of is very powerfull, however it is so heavy that it's general utility is low. It also doesn't have a light which is a great feature as it is very common to find ourselves working in dark areas where the feature is very usable. I believe the Makita has a light which can be switched before the trigger which would be a nice feature because many times the light is handy for finding the drill point in the dark.
          Good luck and let us know what you decide on and how they work out regardless of brand. Thats how this forum works.......Ray
          Older Milwaukee, tools are great. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. They were bought out by TTI ( Tectronics Industries ). TTI owns Ryobi also and builds the Ridgid brand tools also for Emerson Electric. You never know who owns who any more. As far as I know they even make some Craftsman power tools. Craftsman's version of the Skill Worm Drive circular saw is made by Skill. Skill is actually owned by Bosch. I think they call it S.B. Power tool Company now. Dewalt & Porter Cable are owned by Black & Decker.
          You never who makes any product any more.
          Go with the company that has the best warranty with no small print in the manual.

Comment

Working...
          X