Grinders and discs/wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinders and discs/wheels

OK - so I picked up a 5" angle grinder during Black Friday for a pretty good price. Probably one of my least needed tool purchases in quite some time and I'm aware they can be pretty dangerous tools but I do have a few jobs for it around the house - grind off a little concrete burr, round off some wood sleepers, cut a little metal weed/garden edging etc.

One thing I'm grappling with is the wide array of grinding wheels, wire wheels and cut-off wheels available from a bazillion different manufacturers. Anyone have a resource that explains the options and uses succinctly - maybe a decision tree type of thing - for this task use this wheel etc.
    Cheers

Re: Grinders and discs/wheels

I've never seen such a resource, but I never considered the subject this complicated. Wheels for cutting are a little thinner, ones for grinding are a little thicker. A diamond wheel will cut metal and masonry, but I think it does a better job with masonry. They make wheels for tuck pointing, but they're pricey. I wouldn't recommend cutting wood with an angle grinder. Get one of those oscillating tools now that they make affordable ones. I've never heard of using one for gardening.

Comment

Hi. My name is Gary. I am a distributor for diamond blades. You can visit my website at www.diamondbladesunlimited.com. We do offer a variety of cup wheels for grinding concrete as well as diamond blades for most applications. We do offer a Rescue / Demolition Blade that is designed to cut pretty muc all materialls. Also, for cutting wood and metal flange Diablo and Oldham are top notch blades.

Comment

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
        I've never seen such a resource, but I never considered the subject this complicated. Wheels for cutting are a little thinner, ones for grinding are a little thicker. A diamond wheel will cut metal and masonry, but I think it does a better job with masonry. They make wheels for tuck pointing, but they're pricey. I wouldn't recommend cutting wood with an angle grinder. Get one of those oscillating tools now that they make affordable ones.
        Thanks for input.
        Maybe I'm making it harder than it is but what the heck is a type 28 vs a type 27 vs a type 27A vs a type 29 vs type 11 vs type 1A (all listed on one page of for Angle Grinder Wheels on Bosch website with very little explanation ). Then you've got different different grits, some for masonry, some for metal, some flexible discs, some flap discs. Dont even get me started on wire brushes. I'm sure there's a lot of crossover and any given wheel can do a variety of tasks at least passably but if there given such variety surely getting the right tool for the job is a good idea.

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
        I've never heard of using one for gardening.
        Well not gardening exactly - cutting the metal edging that stops lawn grass and weeds from spreading into my garden.

Comment

Glossary of Terms
          http://www.nortonconsumer.com/data/a...Us.asp?seq=300

general information
          http://www.nortonabrasives.com/

there site focus on the consumer
          http://www.nortonconsumer.com/

a lot of information at these or this site,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Most grinding/cut off wheels say what they are for right on them. I buy most of mine at HD who carries Norton or Lowe's who carries DeWalt I think. Both companies put what the wheels are for on them. It will say Masonry Cut off or Metal Grinding or whatever it is for on it, you just have to loo carefully. Also, Norton uses green on their masonry wheels and blue on the metal wheels.

As for what they are for, the thinner wheels are for cutting and the thicker ones are for grinding. You can also get diamond blades for cutting (usually masonry), although they are more expensive they do cut better and last longer. The flap wheels are more for things like removing rust from metal and other tasks similar to that. The wire brushes also remove metal, paint, etc. You can also get sandpaper discs for your grinder, but you need to use them w/ a rubber backing wheel.

That is pretty much all I can think of right now. Basically, if you look carefully at the wheel it will tell you what it is for. Each wheel has a specific purpose and a specific type of material it should be used for. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. As for the different "types" like "type 28" or whatever, I don't know what they mean or really evern pay attention. Pretty much all of the wheels now state specifically what they are for so you don't need to pay attention to that "type" stuff.
            Last edited by bulldog8b; 12-18-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X