Max Select Recip. Saw Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Select Recip. Saw Question

I know this question has probably been asked a million times on this site, but I don't have time to browse the numerous threads.

Here's my question: Will the Max Select Dual Voltage Reciprocating Saw work with an 18 Volt Li-Ion battery? All the info I read, says it will work with 24v Li-ion, or 18v Nicad. It does not indicate if 18v Li-ion will work?

Anyone else out there using this saw with the 18v Li-ion battery? What's your experience? Is it a capable saw with the 18v battery for an occasional user?

Re: Max Select Recip. Saw Question

Originally posted by Marooned View Post
    I know this question has probably been asked a million times on this site, but I don't have time to browse the numerous threads.

Here's my question: Will the Max Select Dual Voltage Reciprocating Saw work with an 18 Volt Li-Ion battery? All the info I read, says it will work with 24v Li-ion, or 18v Nicad. It does not indicate if 18v Li-ion will work?

Anyone else out there using this saw with the 18v Li-ion battery? What's your experience? Is it a capable saw with the 18v battery for an occasional user?
    Yes, the 18V LI batts will work with any MaxSelect tool including the recip saw. We have a couple of the MaxSelect recip saws and they are excellent performers while using 24V batts. While we have 18V LI batts I don't believe we have ever used them on the recip saw. Since a recip saw is not as power hungry as other cordless tools I would expect the recip to be an OK performer with obvious power limitations that would be helped by using a 24V batt. I'll try to take a few minutes and try the saw with an 18V LI batt.
    Hope this is helpfull.........Ray

Comment

Thanks, that would be awesome!
      This saw would be just for occasional use for me. Not everyday, and probably not any real heavy duty work either. Just around the house for different projects & such.

Comment

Read this as Ridgid was dead last in the test. I have 2 Milwaukee 18v and they are very good. Oddly ,TTI make all 3 brands.

"The Ryobi and Ridgid come in last: the slowest cutters by far and low in most of the ratings. And the Ridgid suffers very poor front-grip comfort."

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=778706

That was the 24V the 18vLi on a maxselect could only be worse. I have a non max select Ridgid and do not use it except if I think it is going to get dirt, sap in the saw or damaged because of the great LSA we have , that is if you still have any correct info in your ebox.

Comment

I have the maxselect saw, and I think it works well. I've only used it with 24v batteries though. I also have an 18v dewalt, and they seem comparable to me. Again, I haven't done test or anything to time them, but I do use them alot and for cutting different things, and I like both of them. I have not come across anything yet that I want to cut that I couldn't with either one. The Ridgid could be slower, I don't know, but it has worked great for me. As far as the front grip, it's never bothered me.

If it's just for occasional light work, just about any saw will do fine.

Comment

The blade lock lever is plastic which I feel could break, and the blades unless they are thick are loose and I hate the front end as you can not see anywhere as good as on the Milwaukee and others.. You need a allen key to adj. the shoe, vibration is an issue.. If you use both as I own all 3 brands there is no contest with the Milwaukee, esp. the ant-kick/vibration feature. Bare tool is $65, kit was $99 w. 1 batt at HD. which still may be in the stores. The Ryobi[the worst] and Ridgid are backup as I said for me.
            As you said for non construction use it will work but that is not the "design" of these tools by Ridgid which are supposed to be as good as any. They are not in the recip saws.

Comment

You do not need an allen key to adjust the shoe on the max select version.

Comment

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=778706
                I read that test and could not understand how they got such a poor cut time out of the Ridgid recip with 24V batts. One and a half minutes to cut through a 6x6 seemed waaaaaaaaaay to long. I had planned to time one of ours through a 6x6, but haven't taken the time yet. Yeah, I know they stuck some nails in to give it a little more challenge. Their other complaints about grips, switches etc seemed like non issues to me. Of course my only experiance with recips other than the Ridgid 24V and our corded Milwaukee's was an old 18V Nicad Makita which was very poor so I don't have much to compare it with. Once we learned to keep the blade lock mechanism blown out and lubricated our saws have performed well. Even the mickey mouse shoe lock mechanism that is held by a little rubber nub has continued to function. I had predicted it would fail very quickly and would end up held by a piece of tape.
                The plastic blade lock arm has survived because we warned our crews to keep the mechanism oiled.
                Other than that, no problems mate!
                Last edited by roadrashray; 12-16-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X