Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X3 combo set questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X3 combo set questions

    Hi, I posted some of this in an earlier thread, but haven't received a response...

    1. I'm assuming that the Li batteries are the same as any of the 18v... they look the same anyways, but I'd like to confirm (as I have max select and older 18v tools and am seeking compatibility)

    2. The next question (the repost) is the X3 circular saw. Does it finally have a blade brake?

  • #2
    Re: X3 combo set questions

    I'll toss in my $.02. I've been told that the LI batts will work retroactively with the 18v nicad's for Ryobi. Don't know if it's vice-versa or not, but it did give me the opportunity to buy a cheaper set with the option of buying LI at some later date if I choose. I'll let others chime in on Ridgid and other brands, but I suspect it's the same deal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: X3 combo set questions

      Originally posted by Paladin2025 View Post
      I'm assuming that the Li batteries are the same as any of the 18v... they look the same anyways, but I'd like to confirm (as I have max select and older 18v tools and am seeking compatibility
      The X3 drill kit brings improvements in competitive size, weight and torque but the 3Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Packs look unchanged. ALL current Ridgid 18V batteries have been compatible with ALL 18V NiCad/Li power tools. The 24V battery/power tools are unique and thus MaxSelect

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: X3 combo set questions

        jimtnc & reConx -

        Thanks for the comments. I'm still waiting for someone to chime in on whether or not the X3 circ. saw has a blade brake.

        It's bizarre to me that a pro-level circ. wouldn't have one (the older 18v, 24v, and I believe the max-select as well). I'm hoping they changed that for the x3 circ.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: X3 combo set questions

          Originally posted by Paladin2025 View Post
          jimtnc & reConx -

          Thanks for the comments. I'm still waiting for someone to chime in on whether or not the X3 circ. saw has a blade brake.

          It's bizarre to me that a pro-level circ. wouldn't have one (the older 18v, 24v, and I believe the max-select as well). I'm hoping they changed that for the x3 circ.
          The others have already answered your battery questions (yes, the same 18 volt lithiums as you've been seeing. A very good battery, well rounded, able to use on all other 18 volt Ridgid tools, etc.).

          Regarding the blade brake, no. I've had the chance to play with one of these new X3 circs, and the one that I played with at least didn't have a blade brake. Now, in my opinion, don't let that be a detriment. Obviously it still has the blade guard. And it's funny, but with the movable/bottom portion of the blade guard being made of a transparent/translucent plastic material (which I am personally not a fan of, I like the solid unbreakable magnesium guards), I don't feel that not having a blade brake is an issue. With you better able to see the blade, with the transparency/translucence, for whatever reason you have an uncanny nature to inertly be more cautious around the blade. I think it's maybe due to a subconscious thing, where you're more aware of the blade being there and moving, due to it being more easily viewable, and almost giving a visual look of being unprotected, if you will, so you end up being more cautious. I'm personally not too sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing, but it is a thing that's there when operating this particular saw, at least that I find.

          And I myself have the MaxSelect circular saw, and it is very similar to this saw. It also doesn't have a blade brake, but I myself don't mind. I find my saw, due to the natural motor resistance, ends up slowing/stopping itself very quickly naturally, that I don't really mind it not having a blade brake. If a circ saw with a brake stops in say fractions of a second, 1/4 or so, and a plain jane old standard circular saw will slowly spool down and stop in say 3 or 4 seconds, I find that my MaxSelect circ will stop in about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds maximum. I don't know if it's the resistance of the motor, and whether or not it is an 18/24 volt motor, designed to run off of cordless/battery power, so it maybe has different windings/resistance than the higher amperage and more powerful motors that are on corded models, but it seems to work nicely for me.

          Just an observation of mine, anywho.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: X3 combo set questions

            canucksartech-

            Thanks for answering the x3 circ saw question.

            Although you don't find the blade brake handy, it's something I've decided my next circular saw (cordless or corded) will have. It's my personal belief that it's a good safety feature to have.

            I'll keep plodding along with my current ridgid cordless circ. saws until Ridgid comes out with one that does, or I switch to a different brand.




            Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            The others have already answered your battery questions (yes, the same 18 volt lithiums as you've been seeing. A very good battery, well rounded, able to use on all other 18 volt Ridgid tools, etc.).

            Regarding the blade brake, no. I've had the chance to play with one of these new X3 circs, and the one that I played with at least didn't have a blade brake. Now, in my opinion, don't let that be a detriment. Obviously it still has the blade guard. And it's funny, but with the movable/bottom portion of the blade guard being made of a transparent/translucent plastic material (which I am personally not a fan of, I like the solid unbreakable magnesium guards), I don't feel that not having a blade brake is an issue. With you better able to see the blade, with the transparency/translucence, for whatever reason you have an uncanny nature to inertly be more cautious around the blade. I think it's maybe due to a subconscious thing, where you're more aware of the blade being there and moving, due to it being more easily viewable, and almost giving a visual look of being unprotected, if you will, so you end up being more cautious. I'm personally not too sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing, but it is a thing that's there when operating this particular saw, at least that I find.

            And I myself have the MaxSelect circular saw, and it is very similar to this saw. It also doesn't have a blade brake, but I myself don't mind. I find my saw, due to the natural motor resistance, ends up slowing/stopping itself very quickly naturally, that I don't really mind it not having a blade brake. If a circ saw with a brake stops in say fractions of a second, 1/4 or so, and a plain jane old standard circular saw will slowly spool down and stop in say 3 or 4 seconds, I find that my MaxSelect circ will stop in about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds maximum. I don't know if it's the resistance of the motor, and whether or not it is an 18/24 volt motor, designed to run off of cordless/battery power, so it maybe has different windings/resistance than the higher amperage and more powerful motors that are on corded models, but it seems to work nicely for me.

            Just an observation of mine, anywho.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: X3 combo set questions

              It's not that I don't find a blade brake handy - trust me, it could only be an added benefit if any/all saws had them. It's just that I'm very careful around sharp blades, and whether I'm rushing or not, for me, a 1/4 second blade brake versus a few seconds more for stopping naturally isn't necessarily a huge priority for me. Yes, it would be nice, but I guess just not a major issue for me - kind of like some people like jigsaws/recips with orbital action, and some don't. Meh.

              If I remember right, the newer Bosch ones have them. I've used the worm drive saw and one of the other circ saws that they have - I can't remember of the model numbers, but I definitely remember that they were the newer ones with the removable/detached cord (you plug the extension cord directly into the handle of it). If I were to buy a worm drive saw, that Bosch one would definitely be the one for me to get. It's a real sweet saw - most of the Bosch stuff is very nice, and I'm pretty sure that they have the blade brakes, if that's a must-have for your future saw. Just a thought/suggestion.
              Last edited by canucksartech; 12-19-2008, 05:40 AM.

              Comment

              Working...
              X