R86007, new compact drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R86007, new compact drill

So at first I thought it looked like the Ryobi compact drill but after further review I really looks like the 12 volt Ridgid compact just with the new light position as in the x3 series and obviously the regular battery. Then looking further (actually reading the specs) it has 2 speeds, 1/2" chuck and from what I've read else where it's only 7 some inches long, now that's compact! Here's the link
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86007-Drill
    Last edited by Ru&Lins_05; 12-12-2008, 02:47 AM.

Re: R86007, new compact drill

Thats going to work great with the impact driver while putting up backing for crown moulding .I am in love

Comment

Meh. I've already got the 12volt drill/driver (same chuck/gearbox setup as this one, it seems), and then the regular 18 volt compact drill/driver. I'm not a fan of these styles of chucks either - the outer sleeves have a fair bit of play to them.

It is nice to see, however, that Ridgid's product page for this item clearly states, "2 compact lithium-ion battery packs (R840084)". It's nice that this is specified, so there's not the same issues as when the regular 18 volt compact lithium ion drill/driver was released, and people are better able to do their homework as to battery size, Ah rating, etc. A definite improvement, I must say, in the product information department with this Ridgid tool.

Comment

I saw the "Max Compact" drill R86007 at my local Home Depot the other day and it is directly comparable to the "White" Makita compact and the Milwaukee compact 18 volt drills. This drill is larger than the Ridgid 12volt offering and just slightly smaller than the existing Ridgid compact R86006. The integrated chuck is larger than that on the 12v offering and seemed to be a good one. Didn't do any demonstration with it as there was no setup, but it felt pretty neutral in the hand.

Comment

I recently posted (03.29.09) a review in the Reviews Forum of this site regarding the R86006 (4.5 lbs) vrs. R86007 (4.3 lbs) ...I like the long Jacobs 500 Chuck on the R86006 for many reasons. You can get into tighter spaces with the lengthened narrow snout of this chuck and don't have to resort to extended bits as often. Plus the body stands off the work so the whole body does not have to always get in there real tight. I see the work easier with this longer snout. The balance is much better with long snout on the R86006 even thou it is heavier by .2 lbs, it does not feel any heavier. Using a balanced tool always feels better/lighter.

The last positive attribute is the larger tapered protective metal end cap on the Jacobs Chuck, it protects more of the very tip of the fluted graphite chuck. It seems Ridgid was out to mimic the lighter compact Makita (3.5 lbs.) but they still would have a long way go lighten it as much. I really don't like that compact Makita, it does not even have the traditional distinctive Makita colors. That white just shows dirt easier. You can't beat the Ridgid warranty. I had a choice of all three units; the R86006, R86007, and the Makita, The R86006 felt better and looked like it had better engineering, maybe thats why it won a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" Award
          Last edited by Gig; 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Been on Ridgid's website a little while but just showed up in HD stores about a week ago. Looks nice.

Comment

Working...
            X