Ridgid orbital saw blades won't seat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid orbital saw blades won't seat

The innermost slot that the end of the blade should sit in is at an angle to the outer slot. I've only used this saw 2 times successfully and the other 2 times I couldn't get the blade to stay in because the base end of the blade can't go into a slot that's not at the same angle as the blade. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any help you might give me.

Re: Ridgid orbital saw blades won't seat

I don't know if you're referring to a jigsaw or a reciprocating saw but either way sometimes when new these saws blade holding mechanisms need to be broken in a little bit. They usually require a little extra push on the blade to fully seat it in the blade housing. After awhile, they holding mechanism will loosen up a bit and seating the blade will become much easier.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Sometimes if the shank of a blade has paint on it, removing the paint helps. Cleaning out the retaining pin hole helps too. Have you tried any blades of another brand or type?

In addition cleaning the blade chuck/clamp with compressed air (if you have it) or a small brush and then giving it a little squirt of WD-40 or equivalent helps.

Welcome to the forum and please update us on your progress.

Is this a jig saw (left picture) or a reciprocating (right picture) <aka> Sawzall type saw?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Thank you. It is a jigsaw. I will try the wd 40 and compressed air in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by patricia345 View Post
          Thank you. It is a jigsaw. I will try the wd 40 and compressed air in the morning.
          Patricia.....We have a couple of the jigsaws and have learned through experiance.
          1-turn the jigsaw upside down so the base of the shoe is facing so you are looking down into the blade holding mechanism.
          2-Push the blade release mechanism most of the way open observing the pivot and stop when the blade slot is in line with the shoe. If you push the lever all the way it will over rotate the blade holder and the blade won't be allowed to go all the way in and seat.
          3-Firmly push the blade all the way in and release the blade release arm. If you have the blade in correctly it will remain straight. If you don't it will rotate slightly askew and will probably pop out when you start cutting.
          This proceedure sounds laborious, but is fairly simple once you do it a couple of times. The cleaning and lubricating procedure suggested by others is necessary also..........Ray

Comment

Working...
          X