Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rigid VS ryobi

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Rigid VS ryobi

    Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
    Well really this question is like asking if there is a difference between black and decker and DeWalt. I hate both but I have to admit DeWalt is hands down better quality than B&D. B&D and Ryobi are not ment for heavy use, the tools are great if you're like my dad how won't touch them more than ten times a year. Ridgid and DeWalt are more money because they are worth more, they last longer. Just because they are made by the same company doesn't mean anything, look who owns Lamborghini and Bugatti. There's really no comparison between the VW Bug and the Murciélago other than they both have four tires touching the ground and you know the basics. A Ryobi drill will put a hole in wood but the Ridgid will get it done faster, the Murciélago will get you home sooner , its kind of like that.
    Excellent comparison examples, Ru&Lins. Well done.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Rigid VS ryobi

      Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
      I know it's a little off topic regarding cordless miter saws, but, due to price and market, Makita just ceased making their cordless miter saw. Bosch continues. Don't know about DeWalt. It's a useful tool - especially if it's inexpensive to acquire, but will chew up batteries if used extensively during a day for cuts other than trim. If I've got it out and set up on the miter saw stand, I'll even cut 2x stock with it, but it's not with a "chop" of the blade - a little more finese is required.
      Yeah, that's the unfortunate part - not really a huge market for that item. I, however, would buy one, just for the simple fact that I don't do a lot of mitre cuts per year on the side, outside of on a jobsite (where there's always one or two big 12 inch sliders), but it would be nice and convenient to have. Just something that you could set up and use real quick, don't have to worry about cords, lighter, more convenient to store and transport, etc. Besides, if I really needed to use a mitre saw for some heavy duty use, I could always truck across town and borrow my Dad's.

      I have, at times in the not-so-distant-past, considered the Bosch one. Now, I don't own any other Bosch tools other than the little PS40 pocket impactor (I have used a lot of other Bosch tools fairly extensively, and I'm quite happy with their build and longevity quality). But, this would also give me a reason to buy Bosch's kick butt radio, which I would use as a charger for the battery for the cordless mitre saw. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want a kick butt radio with two nice sounding speakers, a CD player, AUX input for an iPod, GFCI breakers/plugs, a remote control, good quality radio reception, AND charges batteries as well as runs off of it!!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Rigid VS ryobi

        My understanding of the Ryobi cordless miter saw was that it got very little marketing support with no announcement at all. Combine that with the fact that in most Home Depot stores, it was just stuck on the shelf.

        As a homeowner and hobbiest, I have a number of Ryobi tools and therefore watch that and the Ridgid brand pretty closely. I know in the two Home Depot's that I visit, only one of them had the cordless on display and then it was only for a short time. I think it was dropped from the market within the year.

        Ryobi, working with Home Depot exclusively, seems to do this quite a bit, especially if the tool doesn't sell quickly. In the case of the 18v Ryobi CMS, the only complaint that I ever read about was that battery life was much too short. It seems to me that the product didn't get much attention until after it was discontinued. With today's lithium battery, it would probably be a nice addition, especially where portability was needed.

        CWS

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Rigid VS ryobi

          CWS,

          The Ryobi 18v cordless miter saw was under powered. Cutting larger stock was out of the question as the blade would encounter something too large, bind and stop. Now with the lithium you make the cut and with the Freud 8 1/4" diable blade, Irwin laser tool added, and a little operator finesse it makes a great little tool. I have it mounted on the Ryobi miter saw stand and it handles larger 2x stock quite well on miter and straight cuts. Once I remove the miter saw I throw a large piece of 3/4" plywood on the stand and lock in place with the table extensions and a clamp and it makes a great and stable work table out on the job site without having to lug additional saw horses. Fold the legs back up and I'm gone. Pretty handy setup.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Rigid VS ryobi

            I remember seeing that miter saw on closeout at HD. It was going for $39 on its last gasp. Gee, if you were invested in the One+ system how could you pass that up?

            Too bad they didn't fashion the saw to use two batteries in parallel or series. Then you could plug in two batteries and it could have been configured to work as either a 36V saw or a 18V but with greater amperage available than from a single battery.

            That's all it would have taken to make this a great tool. They probably could make an adapter that would plug into the saw's single battery port and accept two batteries. It would have to be in the 18V configuration, but the current would be there for longer run tiome and more power.

            Hello RIDGID!! Are you listening??? How about a RIDGID cordless miter saw using two RIDGID batteries like I suggest?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Rigid VS ryobi

              Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              Hey CPW, they do sell a little thing at Home Depot that might come in useful for you. They have an accessory/storage tray that fits onto the side of mostly all a-frame step ladders (if that's the type ladder you're talking about). It's an orange plastic/nylon composite-type material that it's made of. It fits onto the side of the ladder, snugly onto the two rails, and working with the a-frame's angle. It has a whole bunch of accessory holes, and actually has a molded-in resession into the base of it to snugly secure a 1-gallon paint can. I have one of these (cost around $9, I think), but unfortunately I don't have a SKU or picture for you. They're a very useful little accessory, and seem to be quite common at mostly all HD's in the 'States. I'm sure if you ask any orange apron, they'll be able to look for one for you - they're usually in a little display over by the ladders.
              The Orange Apron's weren't very helpful, but I did find one. In the US they are $7.50. The plastic does actually feel very rugged and well built (in the US even). Here is the website, with picture; but the ones HD carries are orange:
              http://laddermate.com/

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                I remember seeing that miter saw on closeout at HD. It was going for $39 on its last gasp. Gee, if you were invested in the One+ system how could you pass that up?

                Too bad they didn't fashion the saw to use two batteries in parallel or series. Then you could plug in two batteries and it could have been configured to work as either a 36V saw or a 18V but with greater amperage available than from a single battery.

                That's all it would have taken to make this a great tool. They probably could make an adapter that would plug into the saw's single battery port and accept two batteries. It would have to be in the 18V configuration, but the current would be there for longer run tiome and more power.

                Hello RIDGID!! Are you listening??? How about a RIDGID cordless miter saw using two RIDGID batteries like I suggest?
                Come on Ridgid, listen to the man! There are plenty of DIY'ers and Pro's who would welcome such a tool. Keep it under $200.00 and you'll have plenty of eager buyers thinking "Cordless" freedom. Those who need heavy duty will still go for the big gun 12" slider. P.S. I'm still waiting for that 18 volt heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench. Come on before I'm too old to use it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                  Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  I'm sure many would buy it, just for the added convenience (just like that stupid battery-operated caulking-gun!)
                  Canuck......In the spirit of christmas please give that poor old battery caulking gun a break! We rehab old houses and it is fairly common for us to lay a thousand square feet or more of plywood over 2 by flooring joists. We apply glue over the top of the joists and I can't begin to tell you how much easier that is to do with the wonderful battery gun vs the manual. Maybe it has as much to do with reducing strain on my ancient knees because the battery gun is much faster for running those beads especially trying to balance on the 2 by's while bending down or sliding along on hands and knees. Anyway maybe's it's an old guy thing, however I love it for reducing the Tylenol quotient on those jobs.
                  However like many things that seem perfect, many times they provide a nasty little surprise.....(usually women)! On our second job using the Ridgid cordless we decided it would be much faster to take advantage of the BIG tube capability of the gun. About half way through the first tube I discovered a slight product defect Ridgid had overlooked. Glue started squirting past the tube push rod plate which is to small for the larger tubes. The glue had to be removed quickly before it got into the motor box and dried on the track and other mechanism of the gun. I cursed the short sightedness of the Ridgid engineers responsible for this oversight that had me grabbing rags and trying to wipe the glue that was spreading like government bailouts. In the process I was getting as much glue on myself and my clothes and every tool and every square foot of flooring and even some wall. As we know, all is not always fun and games in adult Builder Bob land!
                  I do like that gun though.
                  Please Canuck, under the guise of international relations, please give the Ridgid battery glue gun a pardon. After all we took George Bush and left you with PM Harper!.......Ray

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                    Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    The Orange Apron's weren't very helpful, but I did find one. In the US they are $7.50. The plastic does actually feel very rugged and well built (in the US even). Here is the website, with picture; but the ones HD carries are orange:
                    http://laddermate.com/
                    Yep, CPW, that's it exactly. I also have the orange one, as it was bought in the U.S., as I haven't seen them for sale here. A great little thing, well worth the few bucks - you'll love it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                      Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      Canuck......In the spirit of christmas please give that poor old battery caulking gun a break! We rehab old houses and it is fairly common for us to lay a thousand square feet or more of plywood over 2 by flooring joists. We apply glue over the top of the joists and I can't begin to tell you how much easier that is to do with the wonderful battery gun vs the manual. Maybe it has as much to do with reducing strain on my ancient knees because the battery gun is much faster for running those beads especially trying to balance on the 2 by's while bending down or sliding along on hands and knees. Anyway maybe's it's an old guy thing, however I love it for reducing the Tylenol quotient on those jobs.
                      However like many things that seem perfect, many times they provide a nasty little surprise.....(usually women)! On our second job using the Ridgid cordless we decided it would be much faster to take advantage of the BIG tube capability of the gun. About half way through the first tube I discovered a slight product defect Ridgid had overlooked. Glue started squirting past the tube push rod plate which is to small for the larger tubes. The glue had to be removed quickly before it got into the motor box and dried on the track and other mechanism of the gun. I cursed the short sightedness of the Ridgid engineers responsible for this oversight that had me grabbing rags and trying to wipe the glue that was spreading like government bailouts. In the process I was getting as much glue on myself and my clothes and every tool and every square foot of flooring and even some wall. As we know, all is not always fun and games in adult Builder Bob land!
                      I do like that gun though.
                      Please Canuck, under the guise of international relations, please give the Ridgid battery glue gun a pardon. After all we took George Bush and left you with PM Harper!.......Ray
                      LOL. But I can't!!!! Bah, humbug! Stoopid tool!!!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                        Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                        After all we took George Bush and left you with PM Harper!.......Ray
                        Wait a minute!!!! Hey there, Ray, is that supposed to be a consolation?!!?!?!?!!?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                          Ridgid in my opinion is much better than Ryobi. The cheaper price of the Ryobi tools is a direct match to their quality. I heard from a supervisor in Home Depot that their batteries are made cheaper by using re-cycled battery material in their batteries. He also stated that Ridgid is for professionals and ryobi is for the average weekend home owner (ie. not a woodworker!). It's no wonder the kits only last a couple of months. My Dewalt drill and it's batteries lasted nine years! I bought a Skill less than two years ago and both of it's batteries are now dead. I just bought a new drill with lithium batteries and it's not a Ryobi! I'm hoping that they will last a few years.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                            Originally posted by sdiverdan View Post
                            I heard from a supervisor in Home Depot that their batteries are made cheaper by using re-cycled battery material in their batteries. He also stated that Ridgid is for professionals and ryobi is for the average weekend home owner (ie. not a woodworker!). It's no wonder the kits only last a couple of months.
                            Just be forewarned - take things that are said by certain Home Depot staff, in certain stores/areas, with a grain of salt. Granted, there are some excellent orange aprons out there, and some tool managers that really know their stuff, and there are some great orange aprons on here too. But just don't believe anything that is said.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                              Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              Yep, CPW, that's it exactly. I also have the orange one, as it was bought in the U.S., as I haven't seen them for sale here. A great little thing, well worth the few bucks - you'll love it.
                              Already am loving it. Here is a better picture I took which shows how it clips onto the ladder.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Rigid VS ryobi

                                Originally posted by cpw View Post
                                Already am loving it. Here is a better picture I took which shows how it clips onto the ladder.
                                That's the ticket. It is one heck of a handy little accessory, for under 10 bucks, too! I set mine up the exact same - except that my Husky ladders are of the yellow fiberglass format, with the heavier weight rating, to make up for my fat arse.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X