X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for warranty service

Ok i have purchased a 18v ridgid power drill in the spring of 2008. I purchased ridgid as opposed to dewalt as i liked the lifetime battery warranty. I used the drill 2 times then put away for the summer. In november i tried to charge the batteries with no success. I called ridgid they told me to bring it to als lawnmower for repair. I drove 20 miles 10 each way. Dropped drill off on november 28, 2008. Als has no idea when batteries will be available for this unit. Gregory in customer service has no idea when parts will be available. Gregory also says Andrea the only supervisor is not available. So Gregory says he is in charge. This is my situation as of today december 16, 2009

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Re: How long for warranty service

I just had my 24v batteries replaced in november. It took exactly 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
      I just had my 24v batteries replaced in november. It took exactly 2 weeks.
      well i am at 18 days and i wonder if ridgid shuts down for holidays. I think 2 weeks would be reasonable. I am just not sure why a date is not available?

Comment

Originally posted by funbiz99 View Post
        Ok i have purchased a 18v ridgid power drill in the spring of 2008. I purchased ridgid as opposed to dewalt as i liked the lifetime battery warranty. I used the drill 2 times then put away for the summer. In november i tried to charge the batteries with no success. I called ridgid they told me to bring it to als lawnmower for repair. I drove 20 miles 10 each way. Dropped drill off on november 28, 2008. Als has no idea when batteries will be available for this unit. Gregory in customer service has no idea when parts will be available. Gregory also says Andrea the only supervisor is not available. So Gregory says he is in charge. This is my situation as of today december 16, 2009

Welcome to the forum. We try to help each other here. Something doesn't seem right here. You used the drill twice and put it way for several months and the batteries wouldn't charge when you tried to use it again? It's hard to believe both batteries would go bad sitting around during such a short period of time. I would be inclined to think more about the charger than "both" batteries, or possibly a problem with the drill. Did the batteries proceed through a normal charge cycle according to the lights on the charger?
        Al's sounds a little shakey to me.
        1-Wouldn't any service center worth it's title in a major metropolitan area at east carry batteries in inventory? They certainly should.
        2-Did you take in the charger, the drill, and both batteries so Al could could test them and determine which item was defective? Do you know if he tested them? He should have.
        3-It doesn't sound like Al's mgr is being very customer friendly. There have been reports on this forum that all Ridgid service centers are not created equal.
        I did a search of the 33010 zip code and came up with the following list of service centers. I suggest calling one of the others and determining if they would be more helpfull than old Al.

441 Tool Repair
        1975-A South Park Rd.
        Pembroke
        FL,33009
        TEL: (954) 981-8270
        Fax: (954) 981-8270
        Miles From You = 13.7

Al's Lawnmower Sales & Serv
        18131 SW 98th Ave Rd
        Miami
        FL,33157
        TEL: (305) 238-6332
        Fax: (305) 235-0989
        Miles From You = 15.8

City Wide Appliance
        30 East Oakland Park Blvd
        FT. Lauderdale
        FL,33334
        TEL: (954) 567-2522
        Fax: (954) 567-2243
        Miles From You = 26.0

ROGERS ENGINES INC
        1100 N. FL. MANGO BLVD
        WEST PALM BEACH
        FL,33409
        TEL: 5616898300
        No Fax Available
        Miles From You = 62.0

Appliance Doctors
        3166 S.E. Dixie Hwy
        Stuart
        FL,34997
        TEL: (772) 287-6437
        Fax: (772) 287-2028
        Miles From You = 90.6

I hope this is helpful. Keep us informed how you make out. Thats how this forum works.......Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          Welcome to the forum. We try to help each other here. Something doesn't seem right here. You used the drill twice and put it way for several months and the batteries wouldn't charge when you tried to use it again? It's hard to believe both batteries would go bad sitting around during such a short period of time. I would be inclined to think more about the charger than "both" batteries, or possibly a problem with the drill. Did the batteries proceed through a normal charge cycle according to the lights on the charger?
          Al's sounds a little shakey to me.
          1-Wouldn't any service center worth it's title in a major metropolitan area at east carry batteries in inventory? They certainly should.
          2-Did you take in the charger, the drill, and both batteries so Al could could test them and determine which item was defective? Do you know if he tested them? He should have.
          3-It doesn't sound like Al's mgr is being very customer friendly. There have been reports on this forum that all Ridgid service centers are not created equal.
          I did a search of the 33010 zip code and came up with the following list of service centers. I suggest calling one of the others and determining if they would be more helpfull than old Al.

441 Tool Repair
          1975-A South Park Rd.
          Pembroke
          FL,33009
          TEL: (954) 981-8270
          Fax: (954) 981-8270
          Miles From You = 13.7

Al's Lawnmower Sales & Serv
          18131 SW 98th Ave Rd
          Miami
          FL,33157
          TEL: (305) 238-6332
          Fax: (305) 235-0989
          Miles From You = 15.8

City Wide Appliance
          30 East Oakland Park Blvd
          FT. Lauderdale
          FL,33334
          TEL: (954) 567-2522
          Fax: (954) 567-2243
          Miles From You = 26.0

ROGERS ENGINES INC
          1100 N. FL. MANGO BLVD
          WEST PALM BEACH
          FL,33409
          TEL: 5616898300
          No Fax Available
          Miles From You = 62.0

Appliance Doctors
          3166 S.E. Dixie Hwy
          Stuart
          FL,34997
          TEL: (772) 287-6437
          Fax: (772) 287-2028
          Miles From You = 90.6

I hope this is helpful. Keep us informed how you make out. Thats how this forum works.......Ray
          Als required me to bring everything. drill 2 batteries charger. The symptoms were both lights started flashing at the same time. After the batteries were installed in the charger. I have to assume that they no how to diagnose the problem. You would think they keep some kind of inventory but they dont. Yes other shops are in ft lauderdale but the economics of driving and time wasted is what irritates me more then anything.

Comment

I run dewalt 18 volt battery drills, they have been very reliable to me for several years and still on the original batteries. I have noticed one thing about them and another fella told me the same thing, that when charging the batteries be sure you have enough power at the charger. Hooking the charger to several extension cords or overloaded extension cords on the job site will not charge them and will even drain them. I know that sounds crazy but had it happen just two days ago putting a sprinkler system in a house. Left the batteries overnite to charge on an extension cord and there was a halogen light and two chargers plugged up to the cord. One of the batteries was dead and one was weak when I put them on to charge, came back the next morning and both we dead.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by funbiz99 View Post

Just posted in another thread my experience with exchanging 2 of the 1.5ah batteries. The exchange was done on the same day and I drove 60 miles one way (albeit as part of a daily routine anyway) to do it. I'd suggest calling first to see if the service center has the batteries on the premises first and locating and giving them your registration number from your plastic card.

Comment

If they are Li batteries, there is probably a problem with them. If they are NiCd, they probably just ran down from sitting on the shelf. Should recharge them every 3 months or so even when not in use.

If you had tried repeating the charging process a few times they might have taken a charge. When you place the battery on the charger it starts a slow charge while trying to recognize what has been placed on it. If it doesn't recognize it as a battery it stops. It needs a certain voltage level for the charger to say it is good. Repeatedly installing the battery on the charger for 15 minutes at a time will slowly increase the charge. I've done this several times on 2 other makes of batteries, (but not Ridgid), and it works. Do not check the battery in a drill or light between tries as this will run down the small amout of charge you just put in it. I use 15 minutes on the charger and 10 minutes off; this was some directions that were printed in the manual for one of my older chargers.

Last weekend, I accidentally left a flashlight on. Battery on the charger for 15 minutes - flashing lights. Took it off, checked voltage; 10 volts. Back on the charger for 15 minutes - flashing lights, checked voltage; 12+ volts. Back on the charger for the third time and everything OK. This is an old battery that came with a Craftsman drill and flashlight about 15 years ago (1992 mfg date). Generally only use it for the flashlight now, (drill is still good; I just have better), and have run it down like this a couple of times. Still charges up OK, checks 21 volts when it comes off the charger so I know the cells are still good.

I know this is too late for you since you have already taken the parts to the service center, but might be useful for others to try to revive an otherwise good battery and save the inconvienience of going to the service center. If there truly is a problem with the battery you can take it in after this doesn't work.

Comment

BTT

Still waiting for a supervisor to call me back. Its been 3 days!!!!!

Comment

my experience with ridgid CS is the sqeaky wheel approach. no need to get loud or upset, but thoughtful persistence pays off. if you don't keep at it in terms of constant follow up, you will be overlooked and/or ignored.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

TTT

Still waiting

Comment

It sure would be nice if Ridgid was a LITTLE bit faster on their warranty service. I dropped my 18 volt charger off at the service center after it quit working in the middle of September and still have not gotten one back. Called Ridgid and the service center in the middle of November, both said they would ckeck on it and call me back------ one called me back! Called them back, all I got was that the distributer is behind on filling orders. This is the last time I am buying Ridgid. I needed a cordless drill so my wife bought me a 18 volt Porter Cable, I actually like it better than the Ridgid!! Has just as much power, and there was a cordless saw with it.

Comment

may not be al's fault, some of the 18v batteries are back ordered
                          some will be in around 1/15/09 another model is back ordered till march

if al cant look it up for you, post model number of your battery,small print in top left corner of tag on top of battery

a little customer service and al could have checked this when you dropped them off
                          Last edited by smallen; 01-09-2009, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Took ~4 weeks to replace two bearing parts (to raise the blade) on my TL2400. I was told that the joib took no time, just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                            X