X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw R4511

saw this saw on web site - is this saw with granite top any better than cast iron top? and it is worth the extra $50.00?

Re: Table saw R4511

Well, it does eliminate the rust situation. Other than that I can't see much difference between the two materials as far as a table saw in concerned.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The design is also a hybrid, so the dust collection should be better and theoretically it should be easier to align the blade (I've never aligned a blade, so I don't know how hard or easy it is in practice). It also weighs more, which can be a good thing.

The fence is different between the 3660 and new granite saw, it is unclear which is better till people get their hands on it.

Comment

For $50 you get the following "theoretical" upgrades:

rust free top
        enclosed base
        internal motor
        shorter drive belt
        lower vibration
        more mass
        easier alignment
        better dust collection
        steel t-square fence
        riving knife
        larger handwheels

If those new features pan out to "actual" upgrades, it'd be $50 well spent. The hybrid design in general is an evolution of the older contractor saw design and has several things in it's favor. Time will tell if this model is well executed, but if Steel City was involved as alleged, it should be excellent. The added mass alone should prove to be worth the extra money, and moving the motor inside the enclosure is huge.
        Last edited by hewood; 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          For $50 you get the following "theoretical" upgrades:

rust free top
          enclosed base
          internal motor
          shorter drive belt
          lower vibration
          more mass
          easier alignment
          better dust collection
          steel t-square fence
          riving knife
          larger handwheels
          SOLD!!!

(Also, I've tried to tell Mrs. Canucksartech that it would match quite nicely, and not look too out of place, with the countertops in the kitchen. But, for whatever reason, she's not having any of it! I don't understand why? )

Comment

Perhaps she's concerned that your next "logical" step will be to move the saw into the kitchen!! I don't quite know why, but women seem to be quite "territorial".

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              Perhaps she's concerned that your next "logical" step will be to move the saw into the kitchen!! I don't quite know why, but women seem to be quite "territorial".

CWS
              They're also really picky about what color saw dust they'll allow into the house!

Comment

That's like me saying to her that I don't agree with the colour choice of the new purse/shoes/chocolate that she bought. If I take a chance with that...

Comment

I forsee lots of problems with the granite top. Granite is known to chip,scratch,and break. The miter slots on this saw aren't reinforced with anything so eventually they will wear and become sloppy.Steel city saws are already having problems with their granite tops.

Comment

Originally posted by zfrme66 View Post
                    I forsee lots of problems with the granite top. Granite is known to chip,scratch,and break. The miter slots on this saw aren't reinforced with anything so eventually they will wear and become sloppy.Steel city saws are already having problems with their granite tops.
                    Can u give us more info on the problems Steel City is having?

Comment

I happened to speak to a Steel City rep the other day and he told me that the chipping in the miter slots was being corrected by a plastic insert inside the "T" slot.They've had several owners crack the slot by tipping the miter gauge up, then pushing down on it. Don't know why anyone would do that but??????? Anyway, the rep assured me that the granite tops, if chipped, could easily be repaired ,and there's a ten year warranty on the granite, so not to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by zfrme66 View Post
                        I happened to speak to a Steel City rep the other day and he told me that the chipping in the miter slots was being corrected by a plastic insert inside the "T" slot.They've had several owners crack the slot by tipping the miter gauge up, then pushing down on it. Don't know why anyone would do that but??????? Anyway, the rep assured me that the granite tops, if chipped, could easily be repaired ,and there's a ten year warranty on the granite, so not to worry.
                        Good to hear and know. Thanks for that info. It definitely helps any future decisions.

Comment

Well gents I got my 4511 last week. After a 3 hr setup of the 500lb monster so far so good. It's really quiet the the dust extrication is great.
                          Last edited by Cheif2; 03-14-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Just bought this saw at HD 2/18. Complained to store because I wanted one with the cast iron top which they no longer carry. Told me they would discount the R4511 by 15% so I bought it for $510 . 4 hours of assembly later and I am in heaven. This saw works great. Will keep you posted if any problems arise.

Comment

I picked on up two weeks ago at Home Depot and love it. It's quiet and stable. Assembly was a bit of a chore, definately need two people, the granite weighs a ton. Assembly instructions could be better so take your time if you get one.

Comment

Working...
                              X