X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did you start buying RIDGID?

I was tired of collecting tools because the batteries were going bad. The LLSA gave me a reason to try Ridgid. After I used them they felt solid & never had a problem. In fact I dropped my car from a jack on top of my brand new flash light to where it was about 3" smaller before I noticed what I was doing. I jacked up the car the flashlight went back to its normal size, had a gash in it but still worked. Now the only reason I get a different brand is because Ridgid dont make it.

Comment

I look at fit and feel and am a fairly picky buyer. Ridgid has always been at the top of my list. With the lifetime warranty including batterys...who can argue with that. It's a no brainer for me and I will continue to buy Ridgid tools in the future when needed. My father in law "was" a Craftsman nut but has since seen the light and is a Ridgid fan as well. Problem is he has 3 of everything so it'll be a while before he actually buys a Ridgid tool. For Christmas he gave me the 24V Combo set...gotta love him!

Comment

My hobby used to be building street rods, sold my last one and stopped in HD a couple days later to pick up some hardware for a job. Guy was doing a demo on a Ridgid wood lathe, I bought one and took it home. Started playing with the lathe and found I needed other tools to go with it. Bought a Skil benchtop tablesaw and found out it was a piece of pure crap. 6 months and the motor went up in smoke so I pitched it in the junk pile and went back to HD. Found the TS2400 and took one home. went back a couple weeks later and got a BS1400 band saw. found out the only wood available was the crap the borgs sells so I bought the TP1300 planer and started buying rough cut lumber. This was in 2000 when the Ridgid brand first came out as thier own tools. My small shop is still based around those 4 old gray Ridgid tools and i don't want to replace any of them.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

so far, the four Ridgid brand items i have were given to me as gifts. i have always been a craftsman hand tool and dewalt power tool guy. i admit that i never really considered Ridgid for any of my power tool purchases because i have not known anything about them, and more than anything, i've just been set in my ways.

my first Ridgid tool was a wet/dry vac WD1250, which has been a gem from the start. this thing has not let me down sucking and blowing since it was given to me.
          just this Christmas, i was given the Ridgid R4121 12" CMS, the AC9944 miter saw stand, and the R2500 hand sander. i have been very impressed with the build quality, and equally impressed with their warranty; though i have not had to use it.

while i have not had these new tools long enough to build a "love affair" with them, i am certainly intrigued by them and will definitely consider them for future purchases (a table saw being the next one).

Comment

There is NO other , and I mean NOOOOOOOO other company in the world that makes a copper tubing cutter better
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Any product heavily traded years after it was made, treated like antiques/gems in the profession is something only RIDGID retains, given the products they sell and the demand they bring.

There are others, but the name pretty much is going to be the name that has it's own revenue by default.

The people who created ridgid and maintained their designs have a core idea that's buttering the bread for years to come.

Some of the items are expensive, but you can sell it if need be and get a considerable residual value out of that product as well in used condition.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The first one I bought was the TS 3650, that was about 4 years ago, and I was very satisfied with it. Lately it's been in part that I like them and the warranty. My more recent purchases include stapler, shop vac, the CMS table that I got for 99.00 (or I would not have bought it), I have the RS 2930 router kit and am very pleased with that, I also have the occulting belt/spindle sander and it is great I would get the planner and drill press but funds do not allow for that. I have 3 Dewalt cordless drills, and I'll not have anouther unless some one gives it to me, they love their batteries just a little too much.

I guess I will buy them and like them as long as they honor warrenties, they remain affordable and work well. They are not the least expensive but I will pay some extra for the quality I feel I get with them.

Comment

Tired of borrowing friends tools.... or they were tired of lending them to me . Started shoping for a combo set, looked online at the R964 sets, not too happy w reciprocating saw reviews. Saw both the new X3 5pc 18v and Makita 4 pc 18v lit combo set in store. Took'em both home and tried them out. Almost kept the Makita on feel alone but... Rigid drills had more power, smoother gearing and variable speed, nicely placed led's, rec saw was smoother, set came with a work light that the Makita didn't...end of storey. After 3 weeks, glad I made the choice. It's nice to have a nice cordless set.

Comment

My 1st Ridgid is a wet/dry vac purchased back in 2000, I just moved in to a new home and I was in need of a wet/dry vac.. didn't care much about Ridgid brand nor price. At the time I was more of a yellow & black when it comes to power tools....

My 2nd Ridgid was the TS2400 in 2007, originally I was leaning towards the Bosch TS, but from all the info I gathered from various forums (especially here ) I went home with a TS2400. The TS has proven to be a good buy based on price/value/quality/LLSA.

Since then, I bought more of those Ridgid tools which are "comparable" to other brands :
                    * 5" ROS
                    * 18V drill/impact combo
                    * drill press
                    * 16g nailer

By "comparable" I mean that I still went with DeWalt for their router combo (DW618) and their 10" miter, and Bosch for their 10.8V Li ion driver and FineCut (jam saw).

Comment

It was the first dedicated plumbing tool I came into contact with, that was about 27 yrs. ago.

Comment

I didn't. It's just a nice straight-forward forum for discussing tools. I know the brand better and might check out some of their lighter rechargeable stuff as a result though.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                          There is NO other , and I mean NOOOOOOOO other company in the world that makes a copper tubing cutter better
                          Well. I'll 10-4 that!!!
                          Steve...

Comment

I started buying ridgid tools after using an impact driver my buddy had on a job site. After using his i decided to check out the entire line of ridgid tools at HD. I started with the 24v LI-ION 5 Piece set, then i started selling all the other brands I owned except for the Porter Cable and dremel tools. Since then I have purchased the Portable table saw, 10" Miter saw, 12" miter saw W/ MSUV, 5" RO sander, 1/4 sheet sander, router, trim router, finish nailer, Max Select planner, Max Select jig saw, 18v LI-ION campact drill, osilating spindle sander, (2) wet/dry vacums, 1/2 corded drill, drywall gun, and the 9.6v power screw driver. I plan on purchasing several more tolls before I am done. I am currently a U. S, Marine and all the wood working I do is as a hobby. I plan on returning to construction when I retire from the Marine Corps.

Note: I still own my Porter Cable (PC) and Dremel products because I have been using PC for a long time and they have always done me right, and Ridgid does not make a Dremel type tool. I have been working with power tools for the last 20 years and I have learned that there are many outstanding tool companies out there, and when you find one that works for you, you should stick with it.

Comment

i was looking to update my craftsman cordless tools...i liked the ones i had but not enough power, the battery died fast , charge time was an issue.
                              i do nto like the price of dewalt the yellow menace. i saw ridgid at HD, could not afford it, then a sale came and i got the drill 18 volt compact with 2 batteries, charger and bag for 99 bucks plus tax....the neighbours gf and i went and got 3 of them that day , one for me, one for her bf and one for the bf's friend. we all marvelled at the drill, then my gf added the 6 1/2 saw to my collection and i was hooked

now i have to many toys if you ask her
                              2 18 volt compacts
                              1 18 volt hammer drill
                              1 18 volt 6 1/2 saw
                              1 18 volt impact driver
                              1 14.4 drill
                              1 14.4 impact driver. and one large shop vac. which i use to do the entire house..

only thing i do not understand how come it cheaper to buy the whole than it is to buy a spare battery

i got the 14.4 impact gun in a kit, gun, 1 battery, charger and hard case 150 bucks plus tax. could not find a second battery drove me crazy.
                              the gf talked me into to going to HD one aftenoon ( what a gf forced me to go, her idea not mine) and they had sale on, no flyer, in house sale, there was 2 drills left, 18 and 14.4 and there was the guy in front of me, i wanted the 14.4 he was talking tothe sales guy about what drill he should buy and i was thinking the whole time...jsut buy the darn 18 volt drioll set and leave the 14.4 for me so i can have the batteries lol
                              he did buy the 18 volt set and i got the 14.4 drill ( which i find bigger and heavier 18 volt) with 2 batteries, charger and bag for 79.50, i ran to the cashier and checked myself out...very quick, too many bigger guys were eye balling my toy...lol

then i got the second 18 volt compact and impact gun on sale mind you for 170 something, just in time to build a deckat the gf parents house.
                              i was going to buy 2 more 18 volt batteries but 2 of them cost 129 plus tax , so i figured for 40 bucks more i owuld get the charger, the bag, the 2 tools and enjoy it more.
                              the gf uses the bag for her crafts, her mom wants one of my bags for a first aid kit in the car....she is an RN and thinks bigger is better

i perfer the 14.4 impact driver over the 18 volt one.
                              but ridgid brand sold me on price, warranty, and most of all it was not yellow( hate black and decker products in disugises)

Comment

for me i spent four years plumbing ridgid is the best hand tools for that trade about 4 years ago when i started electrical work i needed a new cordless got a ridgid 18v hammer drill every power tool i bought after that (and thats has been a lot of tools) has been ridgid

Comment

Working...
                                X