Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you start buying RIDGID?

When and why did your love affair with RIDGID begin? Here's my story:

Years ago I needed a new heavy duty cordless drill, and the industrial look of the RIDGID models caught my eye. It charged fast, powered through jobs for days, just 'felt' stronger than anything else I'd used. That wasn't my "RIDGID for life" moment, however. Next I was re-doing some wood flooring and baseboards with a generic compound mitre saw. I looked for a blade high in teeth count and it happened to be RIDGID's blade, but also the most expensive ($100) on the rack. Took blade home and it made laser-like cuts - *clean*. Then someone helping me with the job forgot to switch to a coarser blade and began cutting floor planks with it - ouch. It dulled in no time, and off to the store I went to buy another blade since I was so happy with the baseboard cuts.

As I'm taking blade #2 off the shelf and sighing a bit at the $100 price, Home Depot guy tells me "you know RIDGID guarantees those for life - if it ever dulls you bring it back and get a new one". I thought "wow, really?". He said "same goes for their drillbits, batteries, etc., just bring it back here and swap, no hassles mailing it or anything." I was floored - that, my friends, was "the moment" that the love affair began. I brought my dull blade back and swapped it, and put the saved money toward a RIDGID 12" compound miter saw instead.

Fast forward to now, and at last count I have about 25 Ridgid tools across multiple locations, including drills, saws, nail guns, wet/dry vacs, countless chargers and batteries etc. Admittedly, the RIDGID model in a tool lineup has tended to be the higher end tool anyway, making each buying decision that much easier. Guess how many times I've had to swap or replace anything since that first blade incident? Zero, but only because I haven't had to. In retrospect, that measly $100 saved on a blade was such a relief that I went on to invest 5 figures in additional RIDGID tools.
    Last edited by odditory; 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM.

Re: Why did you start buying RIDGID?

My story

It was there when I needed a tool, so I bought it, used it, like it. Then because of that, I bought another tool and the story never ends.

What more can I say...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

When I became a homeowner one of the first things I wanted was a table saw. I did a lot of research and ended up with the 3650, seemed to be the best bang for the buck of all the typical saws found at Lowes, HD, and Sears (wanted to buy locally and not deal with shipping something so big and heavy). Then as I got more in woodworking I wanted to expand my tool collection and started researching jointers and planers. Again, Ridgid seemed to have the most bang for the buck and I could get all locally.

In the year plus I have had the Ridgid tools I have been very happy and would recommend without reservation.

Comment

I use ridgid pipe tools because they are the best there is, no dought in my mind.

2-300 threaders complete
        1-535, in the process of rebuilding
        1-700 complete with 1/2" to 2" drop head dies
        1-141 with short and long drive shaft
        1-915 roll groover
        50+ pipe wrenches from 6" to compounds and chain tongs
        hinged cutters
        nipple chucks
        chain vises
        25+ 811A die heads
        more than likely more that I can not even think of.

G3

Comment

From a plumber's perspective, they are highly regarded tools and they are the type of tools that are most likely to be stolen amoungst plumbers, given their value.

It seems that they offer so much, reliability and hold a core value over time.

Lots of tools can't say or own that, and the name itself has branded millions that it's a good product.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well I got my first Ridgid (and only, so far...) power tool about a year ago. I was looking for a drill that will hopefully last many years. I was, and still am, on a poor college student budget. I had about $100 to spend. It was either the 18v compact li-ion for $99 (only one battery) or the Ryobi One 18v drill with flashlight (not the li-ion).

I joined this forum for some advice and it was really helpful. I went with the Ridgid drill and I couldn't be happier a year later. I still try to find every excuse to use it. Luckily, I haven't gotten an opportunity to test the LSA, but that was one of the big selling points, too

As I slowly build my tool collection, I'll definitely consider Ridgid products.

Comment

Grabbed a bunch of MaxSelect tools when they cleared them out in Canada last year. Ended up buying one of the compact drills after that. I use them to fill the gaps in the cordless collection that the Milwaukee can't fill and vice versa. Used every tool countless times, no problem.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I bought the TS3650 because it is such a good value. I've since added two MSUVs and a compressor that I got on closeout. I at least look at the RIDGID tools before buying anything else because of the forum; but at this point a lot of my tool purchases are very opportunistic rather than planned (e.g., router or pinner was on sale so I got a Craftsman and Bostitch). For cordless, I'm into One+ instead; because of the variety and cost.

Comment

Never did develop much of an emotional tie. They're tools....when they suit my needs at a reasonable price, I buy them. Sometimes it's Ridgid, sometimes not...it's been Ridgid twice so far. It's been Craftsman 5 times, Grizzly 4x, HF 4x, Delta 3x, Ryobi 3x, Hitachi 3x, PC 3x, Milwaukee 2x, Bosch 2x, Freud 2x, DW, GI, Shop Fox, Makita....did I leave anyone out?

Comment

I knew from personal use that Ridgid plumbing tools are second to none, so when I was looking for a table saw I chose ridgid because I liked what i saw at HD and I trusted the Ridgid name. So far the 3660 has been a great saw.

Comment

The Ridgid brand and Emerson Electric have been around for a long time. My first power tools were purchased back in the late 60's and early 70's, all having the Craftsman name on them (my father-in-law was the manager of the hardware dept... how could I shop anywhere else?). All the hand-held power tools were made by Ryobi and my 10-inch RAS was made by Emerson (Ridgid's parent).

These tools did a lot of work through the end of century and they never failed me. Today, the RAS is still my favorite cutting tool, so logic has it that Emerson-owned Ridgid had to be a good direction to go, even if it was being contracted out. Also, industrial plant that I spent 30 years in, used Ridgid pipe fitting tools almost exclusively.

So when I retired in 2003, I decided to start making some new purchases with an eye toward setting up my first real shop. At the time, our new Home Depot store had one heckuva sale (20% off all power tools) and at the same time, Home Depot introduced the new "orange line" from Ridgid.

Earlier that year I had purchased a Ryobi ROS and was using it extensibly, so when the Christmas season sale hit, I decided to pick-up the Ridgid version, because of the LLSA. I also purchased the Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander and the 1550 drill press. With the latter, it was a close-out on the gray-colored model. Absolutely no difference from the present unit, except for the color scheme and some trim pieces. I should mention that I also bought a bunch of Ryobi tools also. All told, I think I spent about $500 for the lot.

So, as things progressed I just naturally leaned toward the Ridgid brand. More powerful and superior build quality over the Ryobi brand and of course the LLSA offering. With only a couple of exceptions, most of my Ridgid purchases have been after the holidays, when close-outs come into effect, especially on seasonal-offered combos. I've save a small fortune that way.

Except for my drill-press, and my Ridgid 10" CMS, all the rest of my orange tools are hand-helds. My RAS is still in great shape and it handles all the crosscut operations in my little shop. My table saw is a Ryobi BT3100-1 which I picked up NIB for only $135. Though it doesn't compare to the power or the 3650/60 series, this little saw cuts precise and very clean. It can also cut a 4 x 4 in one pass. I am going to take a close look at the new Ridgid hybrid whenever it comes out. It will be a nice addition when I move the shop to the new garage addition, this coming summer.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with my Ridgid tools. I haven't found the need to exercise the LLSA yet. Here's a list of my Ridgid brand tools:

5" ROS
                      1/4 Sheet Finish Sander
                      1550 Drill Press
                      14.4 V 3/8" Drill/Driver
                      14.4 V Impact Driver
                      R3000 corded Recip Saw
                      9.6 V Pivot ScrewDriver
                      18 V Circular Saw
                      18 V 1/2" X2 Hammer Drill
                      10" CMS
                      Straight Finish Nailer (2)
                      Brad Nailer
                      Corded Laminate Trimmer
                      Dual Base Router Combo
                      12 V Lithium Compact Driver
                      12 gallon Shop Vac (2)
                      2 gallon "Stinger" Shop Vac (2)

Oops, almost forgot (still in the box): 1330 Thickness Planer

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 12-17-2008, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                        ...Then because of that, I bought another tool and the story never ends. What more can I say...
                        ...Then, before you know it, you're spending too much on new tools as far as the Wife-Unit is concerned, and it's all "you-have-tools-for-work-so-why-do-you-need-more-tools-for-home", and you get banned to the garage, where you play with your, um, tools some more, and think "man, I could really use that other tool, too", so you get more tools, and then the Wife-Unit goes into overload, so you're back out in the garage...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmyname View Post
                          Well I got my first Ridgid (and only, so far...) power tool about a year ago. I was looking for a drill that will hopefully last many years. I was, and still am, on a poor college student budget. I had about $100 to spend. It was either the 18v compact li-ion for $99 (only one battery) or the Ryobi One 18v drill with flashlight (not the li-ion).

I joined this forum for some advice and it was really helpful. I went with the Ridgid drill and I couldn't be happier a year later. I still try to find every excuse to use it. Luckily, I haven't gotten an opportunity to test the LSA, but that was one of the big selling points, too

As I slowly build my tool collection, I'll definitely consider Ridgid products.
                          James, I completely remember that thread, and your questions, and the path you were looking at in deciding on your tools. Haven't heard from you in a bit - glad to see this post, and that you're enjoying your man-toys, er, tools, and that you're happy with your decision. It's nice to hear the good stuff from people also, especially fellow tool owners.

Comment

Sad to say but because I am a huge Tony Stewart fan.

Comment

Originally posted by PMLawnCare View Post
                              Sad to say but because I am a huge Tony Stewart fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X