Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tool - 18 volt Lithium-Ion Collated Screwdriver (R8660)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tool - 18 volt Lithium-Ion Collated Screwdriver (R8660)

Here's a sweet new tool:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8660-Co...r/EN/index.htm

These types of screw guns are awesome, especially when doing decks, and the homeowner prefers/wants screws versus using nails/nailgun. I love using these.

Re: New Tool - 18 volt Lithium-Ion Collated Screwdriver (R8660)

I have been dying for Ridgid to make this. I have the Senco ones but i feel like im cheating when I stray away from Ridgid. This tool is a must for me.

Comment

I hope it works better than the Senco gun I had. I brought it back and went back to my old drill/driver......one screw at a time.
      I wonder if they make collated square drive screws to feed in one of these? anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        I wonder if they make collated square drive screws to feed in one of these? anyone know?
        Well, they definitely do make collated square drive screws. That's what we have all over the place up here north of 49. Now, down where you're at, I'm not sure if you can get them quite so easily, or whether or not they would be a special order item. I've found that square drive (Robertson) screws seem to be hard to find in the U.S. They are a typically Canadian invention/item. But this screwdriver does mention that it comes with a "square bit". (Our standard/normal up here is a #2 Robertson [a "red Robbie"], but I'm not sure if that's what size that bit is, or whether or not you can easily buy those bits/screws down in your area).
        Last edited by canucksartech; 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

This is the exact same tool as the Senco DS275-18V or the TyRex D550-18 except Ridgid has made it with a Lithium-Ion battery and only one battery. TTI has been making the Senco/TyRex models for years. I noticed on HD's website Ridgid has a corded model as well which is the same as the Senco DS200-AC. Yes they do make square head screws. Senco and TyRex both, mainly for decking or subfloor.
          Last edited by blcstg; 12-18-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

This seems like it would have been the perfect application for Max Select. Why would Ridgid not support that product line...instead we got things like the Caulking gun and Planer??

I agree, this is a tool I've wanted for a few years now and would still like to know pricing and if it's available in stores yet (either in Canada or the U.S.)

Comment

Originally posted by dingmarw View Post
              This seems like it would have been the perfect application for Max Select. Why would Ridgid not support that product line...instead we got things like the Caulking gun and Planer??

(Well, I actually have and like the MaxSelect planer...)

Comment

I know this might sound crazy, But please bear in mind that I am a plumber...

What is this tool for?

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                  I know this might sound crazy, But please bear in mind that I am a plumber...

What is this tool for?
                  To use to fasten the doors closed on Plumber Rick's van/truck/mode-of-transportation, so that he can't get out and sweep away all of the trophies from the '09 Round-Up!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    To use to fasten the doors closed on Plumber Rick's van/truck/mode-of-transportation, so that he can't get out and sweep away all of the trophies from the '09 Round-Up!
                    ahhh That's why he won't be arm wrestling me

TY

Comment

In reality, just think of using a drill to drive screws. You've gotta put the screw on the drill using two hands (one holding the drill, one holding the screw); before you can use the drill. With the collated gun the screws are already there and you only need one hand to just put the gun where you want it and pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        In reality, just think of using a drill to drive screws. You've gotta put the screw on the drill using two hands (one holding the drill, one holding the screw); before you can use the drill. With the collated gun the screws are already there and you only need one hand to just put the gun where you want it and pull the trigger.
                        oH COOL.

So its like a "bradly screwdriver" if that makes sense?

Comment

home depot ins the states lists them at 179 i think.
                          i want one, HD Canada better carry them soon
                          Last edited by stuart_canada; 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

It's very useful for hanging sheets of drywall as you can just pull and hold the trigger open and wherever you touch the beak it snugs a drywall screw for you. Hangs ceilings and walls in far less time than using a screwgun of any sort. Screws are on a plastic band that slides through the banana clip and fed into the beak - holds about 50 at a time and those go pretty fast once you get the hang of it and really get to rolling. Will do the same for snugging down floor sheathing and the like and can be adjusted to accomodate differing screw sizes that are sold by Senco. The gun will only work with the plastic collated screws sold presently by Senco. My Senco came with several different bits - #2 Phillips, #3 Phillips, and the Square bits for differing applications. Mine is an earlier model with the 14.4v batteries. Darn good tool and versatile. Never thought of sealing someones' work truck door shut with it though, but it'd probably work - Ha!

Comment

Don't bother with this tool. I picked one up last week at Home Depot. Through my own carelessness, I wound up stripping the head of the philips bit very quickly.

It turns out you cannot get replacement bits. Anywhere. They are slightly longer than the standard 6" Senco bits. Home Depot does not carry them. Amazon does not carry them. In fact, I called up RIGID tech support, and, after three tries, found the part number (670800093 for anyone interested) and was told the only place you can get them is RIGID's part department. Well according to RIGID's part department, they are backordered for six months!

Not ready for prime time.

Comment

Working...
                              X