Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA Question

Newbie here...

I purchased my 18v set from Home Depot. I filled out and received my lifetime service agreement number. After one and a half year of everyday usage, one of my batteries finally bit the dust.

My question is what should I do?I know I can just take it back to Home Depot and tell them it is no good and they will give me a new one, but what about the serial numbers on the battery?

I had a problem with my charger in the past, where the cord was shorted, and Home Depot was nice enough to give me a new charger and let me keep my old one after I explained to them about the serial numbers and the LSA.

I see from this website that there are service centers I can go to and I do have a back up drill and battery to use while I wait. I just don't know how that will work. Do they open up my battery and just replace the cells? Or give me a new battery with a new serial, like Home Depot would, and my LSA is still valid?

I am worried if I take it to Home Depot and get a new battery, with a new serial number, that if I am to have a problem in the future, that my LSA warranty will not be honored due to not having the correct serial number.

Can anyone shed some light on my troubles? Share your experiences?

Thanks,
    NoPans

Re: LSA Question

You need to take the battery to an approved service center. Once you've past 90 days after purchase Home Depot shouldn't be involved any longer. By giving you a different battery, HD may have inadvertently caused you to have some difficulty with LSA coverage down the road because of the different serieal #. I'm not sure how the different serial # situation is handled after a battery has been replaced under the LSA Program. A call to Ridgid Customer Service would probably clear that up though. Let us all know what they say will you?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Take your original charger with you too sine you still have it. They should replace that under warranty too.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
        Take your original charger with you too sine you still have it. They should replace that under warranty too.

I just last week took two of the compact 1.5ah batteries to my service center here in San Diego. The service guy there, Jim, is good and knowledgeable. I had one tool with me so that he could verify the serial number of the tool, charger and the two batteries needing replacement. He checked to see if he had the batteries on hand, but couldn't locate them at that time. Ten minutes after leaving the service center he called me and said he'd found them. I returned to the service center and picked up 2 compact batteries that day. Signed, sealed and delivered. I spoke with the customer service later that day regarding just that thing - swapping batteries and getting those under the LSA in place of the originals. She was to check and call me back. So when I hear about how they exchange or show the exchanged batteries, I'll post. Try calling ahead to the service center to see if they have batteries at the one you are choosing. If not, call another. I got lucky in that the one I always go to to have parts in stock. Good Luck.

Comment

The compact batteries have not been out that long, have they. When did you get them, and how hard did you work them. Are they NiCd or Li? What was wrong with them?

The more I read the postings in the Ridgid forum, the more concerned I am about the quality of the batteries. There seem to be a lot of battery problems. I have 12 NiCd tool batteries. 2 of them are the Ridgid compact and seem to doing OK. The oldest of my batteries are 15 years old (Craftsman 18 volt) and still seem to be going OK; they charge up OK, and come off the charger at 21 volts. They don't get hard use, but I use them weekly. They do lose charge a little quicker than others while on the shelf, it may be age, but I suspect it also has something to do with them having the lowest capacity of all the batteries at 1.3 AH. When I compare the others, the Ridgid batteries that are my newest lose charge second quickest, but they are the second smallest at 1.5 AH.

So are the Ridgid batteries poor quality, or is the decay rate that I see a function of the capacity.

When I get the chance I check the decay rate of the battery voltage by measuring the no-load voltage daily for a week after charging and keep a record. This will tell me if the battery is noticeably deteriorating due to a bad cell.

To Ridgid's credit, whenever I have checked the decay rate of their batteries, it is virtually unchanged each time. The variation between checks and the variation between the two batteries is virtually none. All my other batteries have a lot more variation.

I am also still amazed at how quick the Ridgid batteries charge. All my others batteries charge in about 1 hour regardless of the state of charge they go on the charger with. The Ridgid batteries take between 10 and 20 minutes, and it seems to be quickest when they have not been completely run down.

Comment

The quick chg has its costs in terms of lifespan decrease. I always use a small fan near the charge to keep them cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
              The compact batteries have not been out that long, have they. When did you get them, and how hard did you work them. Are they NiCd or Li? What was wrong with them?

The more I read the postings in the Ridgid forum, the more concerned I am about the quality of the batteries. There seem to be a lot of battery problems.
              Calder,

I purchased the compact drill when they came out last year about mid-2007. I had used one of the batteries in the set pretty much in the 18 volt impact driver and it was a good match. However, I had noticed that the impact driver had lost some of its umph and didn't drive or fasten as quickly as it once did. In placing the batteries in the compact drill and turning the clutch to the drill indicator, I could hold the chuck and it would shut the battery down as if it suffered from a lack of torque. I'd put another 18 volt battery in the drill and it would almost tear my hand off. I talked with a tech rep and he said for me to take them to a service center to have them replaced as that was unusual for the compact batteries. I don't know how the situation came about, but they replaced them with no problem. Now all is well.

Comment

Working...
              X