X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sander Question in regard to Texture Coat

I recently applied a texture coating using joint compound and tried to match the existing texture on the ceiling. Unfortunately the texture didn't turn out as planned. I would like advice on how to remove the texture with a sander instead of taking out the drywall ceiling. What type of sander would be the best for this job, i.e. sanding down the existing painted texture?

Re: Sander Question in regard to Texture Coat

I would try to scrap off as much as possible first, with a dry wall knife, or may be some other type of scraper, on a long handle so one could work from the floor,

Porter cable has a dry wall sander that hooks in to a vacuum cleaner, I hear works well,
    a good rental store may have one. http://www.tape-finish-texture-drywa...nd-repair.html one could try a pole sander with some coarse sandpaper on it.

on small jobs I jsut use a palm sander, (or sand off the texture for a patch or repair),
    it would be slow but would work, if not painted it will help,

If one would mist it with a squirt bottle one may be able to scrape it clean with out sanding, (if it is still bare mud not painted) or wet sponge it.

sanding to much will sand through the paper, and hurt the drywall, to much water and it will not help the dry wall either,

work carefully, and try not to damage the dry wall under the texture,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I don't know what will work better for sanding, but just make sure you get yourself a good mask for all the dust. I think I would try a pole sander or scraper, so that it wouldn't fall on me.

Comment

Thank you both for the advice. Have a great holiday season.

Comment

What are your plans to finish the ceiling. Are you going to texture again or just paint?

If the texture is painted you are hooped. It will be a job to take it off. The paint will generaly soak into the texture and it gets rock hard. scraping off as much as possible is good advise. IMHO, I would scrape it as smooth as possible and laminate 3/8" board over it, tape it and done. It will take you less time and a lot less aggrivation to put up new board then to prep the existing to paint. If you are going to texture again, scrape it down and then apply liberal amount of texture, make sure that you do it twice once in each direction to minimize banding. Good luck

Comment

Like others have said, I would try to scrape as much of it off first before sanding it. I have never done exactly what you are talking about, but I have taken down wallpaper that had been up for around 20+ years and needless to say it was a mess. After I got most of it off, I used a 1/4 sheet palm sander w/ some 60-80 grit paper and went over everything quickly. That coarse of paper seems like it would destroy the walls, but as long as I didn't stay in one spot too long it came out well. I was able to get the drywall clean and smooth so I could prime it and texture it and make it match the existing walls.

Comment

Working...
            X