No announcement yet.

correct compressor for framing gun

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct compressor for framing gun

Hi, y'all... looking for a little help and expertise.
    I have a Ridgid Clipped Head Framing Nailer, but no compressor.
    Wondering what size, type, psi, etc., etc. I should look into.
    Only using gun for re-building porch & patio destroyed in hurricane,
    so not looking to frame whole house or anything quite that large.
    Sears has a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon on sale for less than $200.00,
    but not sure if they would / could do the job. Trying to go as cheap
    as possible as the unit probably won't get used much after I finish
    rebuilding porch & patio.
    Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: correct compressor for framing gun

I would not go with a 3 gallon. Look at both the Porter Cable and Bostich 6 gallon pancake compressors. You could get your hands on either one for less than $200 and either one would be acceptable for what you need. I have a Bostich and it has no problem running a framing gun.
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

I have a 6 gal., pancake, Porter-Cable and it runs a framing gun with ease. I agree with King Dork that the three gal. is not as desirable if there is an option.
      Once you have your project completed* bet you could sell it and recover most of your money.* I suspect there is still a lot of building going on down there.

I'd probably go for the 3-gal, because you're using a larger nailer than I have; but I have to tell you that I bought the little Craftsman 2-gal, this past summer, for use with my Ridgid Straight Finish Nailer and Brad Nailer. For the $119 price, this little thing is just great. I believe the Craftsman 3-gal portable uses the same compressor.

This unit is oil lubricated, cast iron head, and rated for 50% duty cycle which is more than enough for any single nailer use, I would think. Best of all, it's fairly light weight and small enough to lug upstairs. It's also much quieter than any of the pancake-type compressors that I've seen/used. With a lubricated cast iron cylinder, this thing should last quite a long time.

At the time of my purchase, we had a carpenter here helping me with soome of my renovation projects. He was using a Porter-Cable oil-less pancake unit to drive his framing nailer (building a new set of steps into my basement). We hooked it up to my new compressor and it had no problems. He really like it as it was much quieter than his P-C and it took up less room in his truck.