X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a miter saw: 10" or 12"?

I'm in the process of doing some home renovations and have determined that a miter saw is going to make my life a lot easier, and help achieve a better finished product. I'm installing baseboards in my basement and I expect to have a lot of window trim to replace as I remove the existing trim to insulate.

I've done a lot of homework trying to decide on necessary features, nice to haves, etc. I'm not much for gadgets on tools. I'm more concerned with functionality and durability. Having said that, and having reviewed all that I can find on this forum, I'm still at a loss as to whether to get a 10" single bevel or 12" single bevel CMS. Can anyone provide any insight into CMS selection that would be of help to me? I don't anticipate, at this time, using the CMS to cut 4x4's or 2x8's. The 10" Dewalt 713 is rated to crosscut up to a 6" piece, so that would at least handle 2x6's (or am I missing something? ) 10" blades appear to be less expensive and have many more options than the 12" offerings.

Budget is a concern. A slidder is pretty much out of the question due to $$$$.

Thanks in advance.

- TBC

Re: Shopping for a miter saw: 10" or 12"?

I'm in the market for a miter saw for my home shop as well. I was looking at the Ridgid's yesterday, and I'll tell ya, the slider looks pretty damn good (and useful). Even though, like you, I don't want to spend the money on that feature, after testing some of them out, I've been reconsidering it.

Comment

The answer is, whats the widest/thickest board/post, you will be cutting????? In which the numbers will tell you what you'll need to buy. Will you be cutting any 6"x6"s, 2"x10"s, or will it be mainly 2"x4"s and trim?
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I'll be cutting mostly trim and baseboard to start, then likely moving onto 2x4, 2x2, and boards. 4x4 and large trim/crown moulding is not out of the question in the future (especially if you ask my wife).

Comment

I would recommend the 12" if it fits your budget. The extra dollars spent now will make it much easier later when you get the saw out to cut a board and realize your blade just doesn't quite cut the whole width of the crown, 2x8, etc. While there seems to be more selection of 10" blades at your local Hardware store, any blade you would likely need is available in the 12" size. I've seen some people put 10" blades on a 12" saw, however, I'm not sure about the safety ramifications of that.

I've been a reader here for a few years, finally decided to answer something.

Matt

Comment

For cutting the materials you mention, I'd get the 10". Especially if you want accurate cuts on mouldings. The saw costs less and so do good blades. If you only occasionally cut the big stuff, it's not that big a deal to flip it and cut twice. Or just use a circular saw. I never wanted a slider because they're heavy and bulkier as well as more expensive. I have to carry my saw around with me everywhere, so size may not matter as much to you.

Comment

Depending on your definition of "large crown molding", you might want to veer toward a 12". I debated 10 or 12 inch miter in the past, bought the 10, and time and time again regretted it after finding something else that I was unable to cut. I still have my 10". It's great for basic trim work and is easier to lug around. But I also have a dual bevel 12" now as well which handles anything that I've needed it to. The dual bevel is also nice since the motor is located near the pivot point so it doesn't get in the way when making certain cuts. If you're plans are to only get one saw and have it for a while, go 12". Always better to have a tool with a little more capacity than you "think" you'll need.
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Last week I seen the 12" on sale from $350 down to $250.

Comment

HD has been selling the R4121 dual-bevel CMS for $249 if you can still find one. A decent all-around saw for trim work and even the occasional heavier piece. Might be pushing it a bit at 4x4, but a good after market blade might help if you end up doing a lot of that type of sawing.
                  Happy hunting.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. After much research, review, and talking with co-workers that have woodshops and garages equiped for serious renovation and construction, I opted for the 12" single bevel Dewalt 715 CMS. For a blade I've picked up an 80 tooth Freud Diablo. After speaking with the customer service rep at Freud this seemed the best blade for me at this time for cutting trim given my budget, saw, etc.

Thank you for all the info and assistance. Once I've got some time in with the tool I'll post some feedback.

- Tim

Comment

I have the Dewalt 708 CMS slider, bought 6 years ago and I use the Freud Doable blade. It sits on the Ridgid base, I do not know what the number is all I know is it is really nice. I picked it up when our local HD was selling them for 99.00 reg 189.00. That is nice for moving it around the garage so as to keep it out of the way. That newer Dewalt has a massive blade guard, the one I have is much narrower, almost seemed that the new one would get in the way. Enjoy your saw and building stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X