3650 router table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 router table

I am sure this has been asked a number of times....but is there a router table attachment to go on the 3650 ?

Re: 3650 router table

None that are offered by RIDGID. That being said, using the Search feature here will bring up many threads dealing with router tables and what others have done to their 3650's in order to add a table to their saws.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Bench Dog ProMax! Worth every penny (and it's a lot of pennies).

As BadgerDave said, search for "router table extension", you'll have days worth of reading.

Comment

I have a Bench Dog mounted in my 3650. Bolted right up, no muss, no fuss. Everything fit up perfectly the first time around. If you decide to go with the Bench Dog, shop around, check eBay. That’s where I bought mine. Cost including shipping was significantly less than what the shops in my area wanted. IMHO, don't believe you can go wrong with the Bench Dog.

Comment

Affirming what kirch said, look around esp. on eBay. I picked mine up from (I think) ToolKing, and it was about $20 cheaper than elsewhere, and included two Feather-Locs.

Also, Woodpecker's now makes and sells router plates and lifts that fit the Bench Dog router opening (it's slightly smaller than most other router plates). I put a Quicklift in there and it's a dream for a TS router extension.

Comment

Wood Junkie

Curious, did you mount your Bench Dogs on the left or right side of the saw? I mounted mine on the left and was considering trying to mount the removed OEM leaf on the right side to give me a little more surface area to the right of the blade. I thought I would clamp the leaf in place then drill the holes for the bolts. Probably put 4 bolts through it. Also would use t-bolts and support off the rails.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what kind of problems might I incur?

Comment

Originally posted by krich View Post
              Wood Junkie

Curious, did you mount your Bench Dogs on the left or right side of the saw? I mounted mine on the left and was considering trying to mount the removed OEM leaf on the right side to give me a little more surface area to the right of the blade. I thought I would clamp the leaf in place then drill the holes for the bolts. Probably put 4 bolts through it. Also would use t-bolts and support off the rails.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what kind of problems might I incur?
              I mounted an MLCS router table on the right and left the wing in place. The length of the rip fence rails were perfect to give me the support for the router table, and with it set up this way I have about 5 1/2 feet of work surface. I drilled through the end of the wing and ran lag bolts into the router table and also mounted it to the fence rails.
              John

Comment

I got my 2009 grizzly catalog in yesterday. It has a router extension for 199.00 I am going to call and ask if it would fit on my 3650. Before I do,does anyone here know IF it would fit? http://grizzly.com/products/Router-T...xtension/H7507

Comment

The dimensions are correct. You may have to modify or make your own mounting system to attach it to the rip fence rails and drill to match the holes on the extension wings. Neither is a big problem, though.
                  John

Comment

Should fit, the critical dimension is the distance between the rails which I believe is 27" on the 3650.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust'nStitches View Post
                      I mounted an MLCS router table on the right and left the wing in place. The length of the rip fence rails were perfect to give me the support for the router table, and with it set up this way I have about 5 1/2 feet of work surface. I drilled through the end of the wing and ran lag bolts into the router table and also mounted it to the fence rails.
                      John
                      I mounted my ProMax on the left side and removed the left wing. It's just sitting in a corner.

I know a few people have discussed this at length in other threads. The conclusions were:
                      a) Re-attaching the (formerly) left wing to the right side wing is feasible, HOWEVER, you would need to add additional bracing and rigid support underneath (think legs. See that Grizzly link up above).
                      b) using only the butt-joint connection of the wing and the rails would be risky due to the additional weight, and might bend, warp, or crack your other cast iron components; see #1 - add leg supports.
                      c) the additional weight could create a risk of tipping the saw, see #1 - add legs. In tandem with this issue, if you add a cast iron router extension, adding the cast iron wing to the right creates a minor tipping issue. If you add a non-cast iron extension, adding the cast iron wing to the right creates a major tipping issue.

I believe in John's description above, with the MLCS router table, it is probably a non-cast iron material.

I've toyed with creating the undercarriage support and adding legs in order to put the wing back on, on the right side, but frankly my workshop is too small. I use the space underneath the right rails for storage of some things and I often reach right between the rails to get those hoses, jigs, etc.

If I ever get a bigger space (read: new house/garage) then I will definitely reattach it.
                      Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

i just made my own

piece of melamine, some small wood blocks and a couple of screws

Name:  cb3fb2bada399cc4888ce5a79a7384bd.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  3892dda50ffacc3e67d7f5752ee19a01.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  82.6 KB

Comment

mike..any chance for a few pictures of the mounting methodology? also, what thickness melamine did you use? thanks.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                          X