X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting 12" Sliding Miter Saw to MSUV

According to the assembly instructions on miter saw utility vehicle AC9944, the four carriage bolts with lock washers and lock nuts should be used to secure the miter saw to the stand PLUS the four extra 1-1/2" carriage bolts if mounting a sliding miter saw (These extra bolts have no washers, lock washers or lock nuts to secure them down). I'm trying to secure a brand new MS1290LZA to the stand. I may be overlooking something, but it appears that only four bolts can be used because the other carriage bolts won't fit into the additional holes on the miter saw. The miter saw does have 8 bolt holes for securing, but I was hoping that I could get a little clarification. Just don't want the miter saw to ever fall off while storing or transporting.

Re: Mounting 12" Sliding Miter Saw to MSUV

I don't know what the "real" answer to your question is but it would seem to me that if your saw is secured with 4 bolts, lock washers, and nuts that its chances of falling off the stand is zero.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by elittleton73 View Post
      I may be overlooking something, but it appears that only four bolts can be used because the other carriage bolts won't fit into the additional holes on the miter saw. The miter saw does have 8 bolt holes for securing, but I was hoping that I could get a little clarification. Just don't want the miter saw to ever fall off while storing or transporting.
      The 8 holes on the miter saw provide optional mounting choices for different situations. Use the 4 holes on the miter saw that best match the mounting brackets on the MSUV. Lock nuts should not be overtightened, just make sure its secure. There is no need for more than 4 bolts. The extra bolts can be saved for mounting different bench power tools in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll use the four bolts that work the best. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking the obvious.

Comment

mine is not a sliding CMS, but it is a big 12 double bevel Ridgid CMS. i have it mounted to the same MSUV with the 4 bolts, lock washers, and nuts and it is as solid as it is ever going to be. the saw does not budge at all during storage, use, or transportation.

Comment

I just bought this saw and stand last week and put it together.

I was confused at first too as it says that there are 4 additional 1.5" bolts to use if mounting the sliding saw.

I assumed it is saying to use the 2" bolts if not sliding, or use the 1.5" bolts if sliding. Dont know about the non sliding, but the 1.5" with washers and nut fit perfectly without much of the nut sticking out on the sliding saw. Maybe the non sliding has a thicker base hence the 2" are needed there?

Comment

That is exactly the reason for the longer bolts. The bases on the non sliders are thicker.

Comment

My operator's manual shows that a sliding miter saws should be mounted to a board and the board is to be mounted to the MSUV. The 4 extra bolts is for mounting the board which is called a mounting surface in the manual. It shows this on page 10 fig. 12.

My questions are why does it need to mounted to a board? Why can't a sliding miter saw be mounted in the same way that that a miter saw can be mounted? Why does a mounting surface need to be added? Does anyone know the answers to my questions?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wydo View Post
                  My operator's manual shows that a sliding miter saws should be mounted to a board and the board is to be mounted to the MSUV. The 4 extra bolts is for mounting the board which is called a mounting surface in the manual. It shows this on page 10 fig. 12.

My questions are why does it need to mounted to a board? Why can't a sliding miter saw be mounted in the same way that that a miter saw can be mounted? Why does a mounting surface need to be added? Does anyone know the answers to my questions?

Thanks
                  The MSUV manual says you need to mount it to a board, if the bolt holes on the saw dont match up to the sliding slot holes on the mounting brackets. If you have a ridgid saw it will match up. Not sure about other brands. The bolts, washers and nuts you see in that figure to mount to a board if necessary arent included with the MSUV.
                  Last edited by scoop333; 02-18-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I get it now. It has nothing to do with the saw being a sliding miter saw but the bolt pattern. The manual must be refering to the Ridgid sliding miter saw that has an offset bolt pattern. So my sliding miter saw does not need to be bolted to a board just because it is a sliding miter saw.

Comment

Working...
                    X