3.5" framing nailer problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5" framing nailer problems

I bought the Ridgid 3.5" round head framing nailer a couple of weeks ago and am having a problem w/ it. Whenever it gets down to about 3 or 4 nails left in the "clip", even when the rest of the magazine is full, it won't fire. It sounds like it did and feels like it did, but no nail comes out. After a few tries when I finally realize that there isn't a nail coming out, I have to slide the slider on the mag down and then let it go back up and then the gun will fire a nail. Anybody else have that problem?

If I didn't explain that well, let me try again. Say you put in 2 full "clips" of nails, 25 nails in each clip. When clip 1 gets down to 3 or 4 left, the gun starts shooting blanks. So you have to pull the slide up and down and kind of re-arrange the nails a little and then it will fire.

So, is it just my gun or are others having that problem as well?

Re: 3.5" framing nailer problems

I don't know anything about the problems but was wondering myself why Home Depot no longer sells the Round Head model. I was looking at getting the Round Head model 3.5" but I don't want a dud. There must be a reason for pulling it from the stores so for now I have stayed away from it.
    I did get the 3300psi pressure washer that was pulled from the stores but it has been great and I got it for $350 plus a 3yr Ridgid and 4yr HD warranty( 7yr total). What I have read though is that the engine turns at a higher rpm then the cat pump is rated for. Mine was refurbished so maybey the rpms were corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by jugger427 View Post
      I don't know anything about the problems but was wondering myself why Home Depot no longer sells the Round Head model. I was looking at getting the Round Head model 3.5" but I don't want a dud. There must be a reason for pulling it from the stores so for now I have stayed away from it.
      I did get the 3300psi pressure washer that was pulled from the stores but it has been great and I got it for $350 plus a 3yr Ridgid and 4yr HD warranty( 7yr total). What I have read though is that the engine turns at a higher rpm then the cat pump is rated for. Mine was refurbished so maybey the rpms were corrected.

I just bought mine at Christmas time and got it at HD. In fact, I was at a different HD than the one I normally go to and they had it as well. So they haven't pulled it in my area at least.

Other than that problem, I like it. It works great as long as you aren't near the end of a strip.

Comment

I think it has the dry fire lockout feature, but that doesnt sound like the problem you describe. It would not shoot or make any noise.

Comment

I have a Porter Cable framing nailer with the same problem. I am not sure but I believe that the problem is caused by the spring tension on the nail follower that forces the nails forward. As the spring expands the pressure on the remaining nails gets less. I have several other nail guns that have the same problem. I have also noticed the problem in staplers.
          I don't have a fix except keep your eye on the number of nails "left" in the gun and add more when it's about to run out of nails.

Comment

Working...
          X