Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparison of Ridgid R963 5pc & Makita LXT416 4pc 18v Lithium Cordless Combo Sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of Ridgid R963 5pc & Makita LXT416 4pc 18v Lithium Cordless Combo Sets

These are the newer sets that showed up on Home Depots shelves near end of last year. I had them both out for a go.

Impact Driver
    Both seemed to drive and drill into wood w no problem at about the same pace. Ridgid seemed to have more power at end. Ridgid's variable speed is better as it went from a real slow roll on power to high power very smoothly. Makita was not as smooth. Seemed to have about 8 noticeable speed changes as it went from low to high and at no load you can notice the gear changes as there is a split second pause before changing gears. Chucks on both are good except watching it rotate, both seem a tad off center. Ridgid is heavier at 4 3/4lb. Makita is noticebly lighter at 3 1/2lb and has excellent ergonomics, would be able drill for hours on end with this thing. LED's excellent on Ridgid as it sits on base and points up towards target while on Makita it sits on barrel which partially obstructs light to target.

Hammer Drill / Drill / Fastener
    Same relevant comments made above also apply here. Ridgid 6lbs, Makita 4 1/2 lbs. I used masonry as test for hammer drilling. Ridgid drilled about 50-100% faster for same depth. Ridgid is more the hammer drill and Makita more the drill as weights of both tools seemed to point to its usefullness in each category.

Reciprocating Saw
    Ridgid's is smoother, less vibration. Has orbital feature that Makita does not though I can't say right now that I noticed a difference cutting through wood. Makita is a tad heavier and slight bit bulkier.

Circular Saw
    Haven't used and did not use.

Work Light
    Simpy stated, Ridgid has one and Makita does not. Didn't think I'd have much use for the light as I thought it was a waste of battery space, 18 volts of it - "space" I could be using to power another tool. But anyway, re-building my attic hatches, I fell in love with it as much as a man could fall in love with his ..ah ..er..tool...though really its not a tool, its just a light. Easily hung by a retractable handle which was designed to fit snuggly over the stud, the flourescent bulb pivots to provide broad lighting over the desired work area. Reeeeal nice!

Loved the Makita set for the lightness of the drills, power for the size and ergonomics and was this close to choosing it but in the end, I chose Ridgid for those little things it had over the Makita and am so far happy with the choice.
    Attached Files

Re: Comparison of Ridgid R963 5pc & Makita LXT416 4pc 18v Lithium Cordless Combo Sets

I was deciding between the two on Black Friday and I ended up getting the 2pc Makita set at HD. Although I love the LSA offered by Ridgid, the Makita felt so much more comfortable in my hands.

Comment

Re: Comparison of Ridgid R963 5pc & Makita LXT416 4pc 18v Lithium Cordless Combo Sets

avanzi...this may have been a better kit to compare to the makita as it is the same 4 pieces and no light.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R964-Combo-Kit/EN/index.htm

just comparing apples to apples.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hey Finer. I believe I am. They were the same price, both kits are new and in competition with each other. If one doesn't come with a light, it's something to think about before making the purchase.

I believe the R964 is the older X2 combo kit.

Comment

Just thought I'd point out that that Makita set is their blue tool equivalent of the compact sets. The hammerdrill is a compact model and not in the same class as the Ridgid. It will not keep up with a heavy duty drill even if Makita's specs for the compact are roughly the same. For a more proper comparison the BHP451/454 would be a more apples to apples comparison. The recip saw is also a shorter version but I believe it's the same internally. Still not a very good recip saw regardless.

Comment

Yes. It does seem Makita is using the lightness and feel feature to get people to buy their tools and compete with other manufacturers at the "same level" and perhaps decrease features / performance in other areas that aren't readily apparent until you use the tools.

By the way, the Makita mini compact 10.8v drill + driver lithium ion kit (LCT203) is on clearance at $99 at HD. They had that in their holiday flyer for weeks at $199. Also includes drill bit kit not shown below.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Avanzi View Post
              Yes. It does seem Makita is using the lightness and feel feature to get people to buy their tools and compete with other manufacturers at the "same level" and perhaps decrease features / performance in other areas that aren't readily apparent until you use the tools.

By the way, the Makita mini compact 10.8v drill + driver lithium ion kit (LCT203) is on clearance at $99 at HD. They had that in their holiday flyer for weeks at $199. Also includes drill bit kit not shown below.
              Checked home depot today, still 199. Where did you see it on clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by alexkoss View Post
                Local HD has the Makita 10.8 drill + impact set for 179>149

Comment

Originally posted by alexkoss View Post
                  Faster than I could pick one up, they were gone. It was the Mavis / Dundas store in Mississauga only. I thought it was storewide.

Probably good thing in a way. Just saw the Rigid R9002 12v compact combo set on the shelves for the first time yesterday at a few stores. Similiar to the R82007 single/double box set (see attached pic) except they now made an impact driver to go with it. Very nice. Priced at $169 CAN. No pics or mention of it anywhere on the web yet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice little kit. I had a chance to play with the drill and i really liked it, now I have to find a store that carries this.

Comment

Working...
                    X