X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly Tools! Price Hike Yikes!

I got the 2009 Grizzly catalog this year and was suprised to see that several prices on power tool were up 100 dollars in some cases. I delayed the purchase of a new jointer becasue I thought that prices would go down in 09. With the the way the economy is and gas prices down I least thought shipping may go down 20 dollars. O'well I guess i should of bought that 8" jointer G0586 when it was 595 on sale plus 139 shipping. (eventhough it will be discontinued. I am now considering the Ridgid jointer at HD for $429.

Does anyone here think prices will go down or sales will occur near Spring 09 when I plan to buy?

Re: Grizzly Tools! Price Hike Yikes!

Hello Tnblues30
    Glad to see another TN on the forum. Just down the road from you in Rogersvile. Hard to say about price reductions. I have done the same, waited to see if prices dropped and darned if they didn't take a price hike. Best advice, if you see something you like and want (and can afford) best to get it then. Take care, Ron
    Last edited by Ronald; 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

In this economy that is a unwise business plan as the costs of copper, iron and oil all have dropped. I think most of grizz. products are overpriced

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
        In this economy that is a unwise business plan as the costs of copper, iron and oil all have dropped. I think most of grizz. products are overpriced
        Yes, but the value of the dollar to foreign currency has dropped, and that is a major factor in the cost of imported goods. As the Dollar grows weaker in the global economy US made goods will be more attractive from a cost standpoint spurring purchases of US made products.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Look for some "super sales" out of Grizzly this year. In all likelihood, the 2009 catalog was put together and prices set before the chit hit the fan with the economy in the 4th quarter last year. Just a guess but you'll probably see some sales where they roll back the prices to the 2008 level or maybe even a tad lower.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I hope you are right. I really miss the made in USA products but the labor cost are the problem as foreign workers work for so cheap, no govnt. regs. EPA OSHA....you know the story.

Comment

We have to realize too that there are companies whose sales are down that will raise their prices in order to make the same money on less items sold. It's a vicious circle, yet some companies figure their products are that good they can justify it.

A friend of mine who sells office equipment told me that Panasonic raised prices by 15 percent at the start of the new year.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Everyone has brought out some interesting points. A person at grizzly CS told me that steel prices was in part due to prices being up. I was puzzled with that, but as BadgerDave pointed out maybe when the catalog was being printed prices were project based on the prices of metals and fuel, not to mention the weak dollar at that time.

I have the G0555 bandsaw and was very happy with the quality of grizzly tools. I also own TS3560, very please with its preformance. I try to find the best tool for the money that I can afford.

Jointer and Planer are what I need next.

I hope BadgerDave is right about the Super Sales. If not maybe congress will pass the workshop stimlus plan .

Comment

Originally posted by Tnblues30 View Post
                  Does anyone here think prices will go down or sales will occur near Spring 09 when I plan to buy?
                  On other forums the president of Grizzly said that prices were going up, because they kept them constant throughout 2008 even though they were getting squeezed on raw materials and the dollar.

I think lots of of other companies raised prices too; we'll see if there are sales to compensate for it. I think that Grizzly is still a good buy compared to a lot of manufacturers; and unlike RIDGID they have a very complete lineup of tools [7 different 6" jointers to choose from, and 5 8" ones]. If I get a jointer, I it will probably be the RIDGID (one big advantage is no shipping charge) or a Grizzly.

Comment

Having fixed catalog pricing can be an obstacle for Grizzly because prices can bite both ways....charge too much and they lose business, charge too little and they lose money....neither are attractive to a company. Those catalog prices were likely submitted months in advance, and needed to include inflation that occurs throughout the year....who new where'd the economy would be 4 months or longer ago? It's possible for them to offer sales and shipping incentives but they're not as easy for them to share with the public as brands with a dealer network.

FWIW, the best Grizzly prices I saw last year were on Ebay using the now dead Microsoft Cashback incentives of up to $200 per transaction (they reached a max of $250 off in July). At times it was even possible to stack that discount with the elusive 10% Ebay coupon for up to $100 off, meaning you could save upwards of $350 on a single tool. If you see any chatter about the MS Cashback deal coming to life again on Ebay, check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Tnblues30 View Post
                      I got the 2009 Grizzly catalog this year and was suprised to see that several prices on power tool were up 100 dollars in some cases.
                      I hear you on this. I was surprised. With this economy I don't know who is going to pay more for something unless they really need it. I know I'm not. Red
                      Red

Comment

Working...
                      X