Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V lithium 3AH vs 24V lithium Run Time

Originally posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post

A Ridgid rep did confirm that the MaxSelect tools have a switch to step the 24 volts down to 18 volts. Makes me wonder if there is even a single advantage of any kind to the 24V MaxSelect tools.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Andrew M.
    I find that hard to believe when the rpms and performance are way different now that I have the 24v. The 24v batt. makes them run much better. Ridgig even has different rpm ratings based on batt. used. The 18v max select circ saw was nearly useless on 18v.
    Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
    What do you find hard to believe. Go to their website and read the specs. Are you comparing the 24V lithium to the old 18V nicad or the new 18V 3.0 AH lithium?
    I agree with Andrew on this point. Ridgid specification's http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...r/EN/index.htm and our extensive personal experiance using these tools daily during the last two years has demonstrated that there is a significant performance difference with the MaxSelect tools when using the 24V batts vs 18V batts LI or NiCad. You had previously noted that the circ saw had a tendency to bind easily using the 24V batts. I can assure you that if you tried it using 18V batts it will barely cut a piece of 2 by.
    Last edited by roadrashray; 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Andrew on this point. Ridgid specification's http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...r/EN/index.htm and our extensive personal experiance using these tools daily during the last two years has demonstrated that there is a significant performance difference with the MaxSelect tools when using the 24V batts vs 18V batts LI or NiCad. You had previously noted that the circ saw had a tendency to bind easily using the 24V batts. I can assure you that if you tried it using 18V batts it will barely cut a piece of 2 by.
      I am sure this is true with an 18V battery in the MaxSelect circular saw. I was comparing the specs of the MaxSelect circular saw with 24V battery to the specs of the X3 Circular saw with an 18V battery.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post

You already posted your essay once, and you are obviously hinting at me when talking about "some people", it seems you rather enjoy the sound of your keyboard. All your jobsite experience is fluff.
        OK, Who chit in this guys cheerios? "It only reflects habits of a particular group, and based on your ravings, I can tell that you simply don't use your tools properly if you drive them to a point where they overheat and overdischarge batteries, no matter what your excuse is." Sounds like typical company supplied tools to me, see it everyday and it is a great indicator of the durability of a tool.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
          OK, Who chit in this guys cheerios? "It only reflects habits of a particular group, and based on your ravings, I can tell that you simply don't use your tools properly if you drive them to a point where they overheat and overdischarge batteries, no matter what your excuse is." Sounds like typical company supplied tools to me, see it everyday and it is a great indicator of the durability of a tool.
          People who claim that they can measure tool performance better than a laboratory by using the tool in a completely random pattern with a random load and for a completely random duration of time, and confuse durability and performance.

Comment

Has anyone done a comparison? I charged both batteries and wanted to see how long they would run my cordless vac. Both batteries ran the vac for 16 minutes before it shut down. My 18V 1.5 AH battery ran it only for 11 minutes which can be expected. If the first two batteries lasted the same would Max select power tools and batteries be needed or would there be any advantage to them. The new X3 set actually has better specs than the older Max Select tools. I am thinking of returning the Max Select kit and purchasing the X3 combo. Any thoughts or experiences with these sets are welcome. I just don't want the extra weight and size of the Max Select tools if the X3 tools perform just as well or run as long on 18 volt 3AH batteries.
            I did a review a while back on the MaxSelect vac with both the 1.5 Ah lithium ion batteries and the 24 volt 3.0 Ah XLi batteries, when I first got that vac - check it out if you wish for runtimes, etc.:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16172

DRC-Wartex

A Ridgid rep did confirm that the MaxSelect tools have a switch to step the 24 volts down to 18 volts. Makes me wonder if there is even a single advantage of any kind to the 24V MaxSelect tools.
            Like others have said, this appears to be another piece of bad information that a Ridgid rep has put out. Maybe this is the case with the MaxSelect flashlight, as there is no perceptable brightness difference with either the 24 volt or 18 volt batteries (and it would make sense here, so as not to burn out the 18 volt lightbulb). However, there is a huge difference with most of the MaxSelect tools depending on the battery voltage being used. Take for example the MaxSelect circular saw - the RPMs and cuts of that saw, with 18 volt compared to 24 volts, are drastically different.

Now, with the new X3 lineup, who knows - things may have changed, where the X3 circular saw running with an 18 volt battery could be the same as, or much better to, the MaxSelect circ saw running with a 24 volt XLi battery (thereby negating the benefit, and making the extra weight not worthwhile).

However, with the power hungry MaxSelect tools (circ saw, recip saw, jig saw), and even with the MaxSelect impact, there is a huge difference when running 24 volt batteries compared to 18 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              You had previously noted that the circ saw had a tendency to bind easily using the 24V batts. I can assure you that if you tried it using 18V batts it will barely cut a piece of 2 by.
              Nothing beats a good Freud blade (either the red Freud Diablo, or the gold Ridgid Titanium) to solve that problem...

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                People who claim that they can measure tool performance better than a laboratory by using the tool in a completely random pattern with a random load and for a completely random duration of time, and confuse durability and performance.
                Performance is nothing without durability so you can take your efficient tools and I'll take the ones that last. Tools aren't made to perform better in a lab, they're made to work at a construction site or in a shop or whatever.

Anyway, as far as the x3 series goes, the performance is much better than the x2 when talking about the circ saw. The spec sheet shows a much higher zero load rpm than the older one but having used both, the increased rpms definately do transfer to a cutting through butter sensation with a treated 2 x 4 (didn't use the blade that came with the saw). This seems obvious I know, but I have used my friends B&D firestorm 18V which had better rpm speeds than the old x2 but it seemed to struggle even more with the pressure treated 2x4 than my x2 Ridigd did. I finally had an opportunity to use it pretty heavily this past weekend. I forgot to count how many cuts the batteries lasted though, I was too busy contemplating why I haven't bought a collated screw gun until now.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  I did a review a while back on the MaxSelect vac with both the 1.5 Ah lithium ion batteries and the 24 volt 3.0 Ah XLi batteries, when I first got that vac - check it out if you wish for runtimes, etc.:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16172

Like others have said, this appears to be another piece of bad information that a Ridgid rep has put out. Maybe this is the case with the MaxSelect flashlight, as there is no perceptable brightness difference with either the 24 volt or 18 volt batteries (and it would make sense here, so as not to burn out the 18 volt lightbulb). However, there is a huge difference with most of the MaxSelect tools depending on the battery voltage being used. Take for example the MaxSelect circular saw - the RPMs and cuts of that saw, with 18 volt compared to 24 volts, are drastically different.

Now, with the new X3 lineup, who knows - things may have changed, where the X3 circular saw running with an 18 volt battery could be the same as, or much better to, the MaxSelect circ saw running with a 24 volt XLi battery (thereby negating the benefit, and making the extra weight not worthwhile).

However, with the power hungry MaxSelect tools (circ saw, recip saw, jig saw), and even with the MaxSelect impact, there is a huge difference when running 24 volt batteries compared to 18 volts.
                  I had already searched that review out and read it. Good review and I agree. I have got 21 and 22 minutes respectively of run time with the 18V 3.0AH lithium batteries where my 24V 3.0AH lithium battery will last a few seconds over 15 minutes in the cordless vac. This is a run time test and not a power test, but their is no percievable difference in the pitch or noise of the vac. Who knows what RPM the motor is turning.

Comment

Faster than I can count

Comment

I had already searched that review out and read it. Good review and I agree. I have got 21 and 22 minutes respectively of run time with the 18V 3.0AH lithium batteries where my 24V 3.0AH lithium battery will last a few seconds over 15 minutes in the cordless vac. This is a run time test and not a power test, but their is no percievable difference in the pitch or noise of the vac. Who knows what RPM the motor is turning.
                      I'm wondering then if you got a dud 24 volt battery then. It sounds about right, the run time that you're getting with the 3.0 Ah 18 volt batteries. But you should get a bit better with the 24 volts. Also, with you stating that "their is no perceivable difference in the pitch or noise of the vac", whether with the 18 or 24 volt batteries, sounds iffy to me - there should be a fairly noticable difference. That's what I've experienced, anyways - but I think others have the same results.

Comment

Are the specs on the new 18 volt lithium combos any different than the old 18 volt tools packaged with the nicads? Or did they just jazz up the look and add some overmold to the grips and such?

I'm suspicious........

And regardless, I would still take the 24 volt batts over the 18 volt for the MaxSelect tools. I used the caulking gun with the 18 and the 24 and the pressure buildup at shut-off intervals seemed less with the 24 volt. Could be my imagination... The specs certainly support a difference with the impact driver and the circular saw as well, although I can't say I have experienced it first hand.

Regardless, I tried the 24 volt, grabbed the compact lithium instead when the deal on the compact drill came out, and now I'm gonna grab a set of 24 volt batteries at a discount.

The prices out there now on the 24 volt stuff is too good to pass up, plus the tools in the 24 volt combo kits are MaxSelect compatible, so you'll always be able to use 18 volt nicad or lithium batts in it even if you can't get 24 volt for them.

Just my 2 cents. Although I am curious about the new kits - is it just a battery change, or a tool upgrade as well? Hmmmmm....
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

If this is the case I wonder if this is only with some tools. I can't imagine any good reason why they'd do that for a tool like a circular saw which can take advantage of the higher voltage batteries. With other tools like impact drivers it would actually make sense since battery voltage doesn't really change their power, the anvil does. Bigger batteries just run them longer.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                            Could be my imagination... The specs certainly support a difference with the impact driver and the circular saw as well, although I can't say I have experienced it first hand.
                            From personal ownership experience, very noticable on the following MaxSelect tools - circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, cordless wet/dry vac, router, and even with the impact driver. Higher speeds (no-load and under-load RPMs), better motor torque, more cuts per charge, and therefore longer runtimes.

Nothing noticable with the 24 volt flashlight (apparently also a MaxSelect version) that's included with the 24 volt kit (the one with the hammerdrill and recip). Also, no extended usage experience with the MaxSelect caulking gun (stoopid tool!). And finally, nothing really noticed with the newer little MaxSelect radio (the new one in the AutoShift kit) - but just got this, so unknown if there will be a dramatically longer runtime with the higher voltage batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                              If this is the case I wonder if this is only with some tools. I can't imagine any good reason why they'd do that for a tool like a circular saw which can take advantage of the higher voltage batteries. With other tools like impact drivers it would actually make sense since battery voltage doesn't really change their power, the anvil does. Bigger batteries just run them longer.
                              I still notice a difference with the impact - higher RPMs, equals out to better rates of impacts/beats. What I think you mean here, I agree - the bigger battery doesn't amp up the torque/inch lbs. of the tool, as that is regulated by the anvil. But the higher rates of turning/beats are a big advantage.

But a big torque difference on the other tools.

The only tool I can see a voltage regulator being beneficial with is the small portable radio and the flashlight.

Comment

Also, no extended usage experience with the MaxSelect caulking gun (stoopid tool!).
                                Not stoopid if you've got a couple of cases of caulk to apply. Did some board and batten on an old shed this past summer and when you've got a couple thousand feet to caulk, the battery powered caulking gun is pretty keen.

Any idea though if the "new" 18 volt tools are different from the "old" 18 volt tools other than the pretty new design and the new lithium batts that come with 'em?
                                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                                X