Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V lithium 3AH vs 24V lithium Run Time

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    Not stoopid if you've got a couple of cases of caulk to apply. Did some board and batten on an old shed this past summer and when you've got a couple thousand feet to caulk, the battery powered caulking gun is pretty keen.
    I know, I know. There's a use for them somewhere, by someone. But it's like a Yugo to me - some ridiculous contraption, that the vast majority of the purchasing public goes "yuck" to, and that seems to have, as cheap as it is, a way higher selling price than you think it's worth. Nah, I'm an old curmudgeon on this issue - STOOPID TOOL!

Any idea though if the "new" 18 volt tools are different from the "old" 18 volt tools other than the pretty new design and the new lithium batts that come with 'em?
    No, I haven't had a chance to play with them in the real world yet. Haven't had a chance to even look around online and check out the spec differences - the "daddy daycare" thing is keeping me pretty busy right now.

I did have the chance to play with them at a neighbouring Michigan store over the weekend. Something about the new rubberized overmolding, I just don't seem to like. My best example is on the back/bottom side of the handle of the circ saw. The rubberized overmolding has a few distinct "lines" of rubber, to form a bit of a pattern that's different from the 24 volt / MaxSelect versions. Well, this rubberized overmolding seems to be a fair bit more pliable and raised - seems to me like it would be easier to rip off. I know, seems miniscule, but I like my overmolding to stay where it's overmolded - I don't like super-gluing stuff like that back onto my tools, so that I can continue to have a more comfortable grip (something that some of the 12 and 14 volt Makita tools have done and have been a nightmare for me in the past).

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      I still notice a difference with the impact - higher RPMs, equals out to better rates of impacts/beats. What I think you mean here, I agree - the bigger battery doesn't amp up the torque/inch lbs. of the tool, as that is regulated by the anvil. But the higher rates of turning/beats are a big advantage.

But a big torque difference on the other tools.

The only tool I can see a voltage regulator being beneficial with is the small portable radio and the flashlight.
      No doubt about that. Just pointing out that the possibility certainly isn't unfeasable. Just that in some tools like the circular saw the difference would be undeniable even cutting a simple 2X4. On the impact it's something that might be sacrificed for longer runtime and there's a good chance it would not be as noticeable to really affect how it performs in average tasks.

I would however not base anything just on the pitch and noise made by the tool as a sign that voltage is in fact not being stepped down. I'd look for clearly definable differences in how it performs. A slight difference in voltage will make the tool sound very discernably different. If you were to take two identical 18v batteries, one brand new charging up to say 20v and one slightly worn and only doing 19.25v, plug them into the same tool you'll notice the motor sounds quite different. If a 24v battery is stepped down to 18v it would still sound differently because it's highly unlikely it will step down to the identical voltage of any given 18v battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        I would however not base anything just on the pitch and noise made by the tool as a sign that voltage is in fact not being stepped down. I'd look for clearly definable differences in how it performs. A slight difference in voltage will make the tool sound very discernably different. If you were to take two identical 18v batteries, one brand new charging up to say 20v and one slightly worn and only doing 19.25v, plug them into the same tool you'll notice the motor sounds quite different. If a 24v battery is stepped down to 18v it would still sound differently because it's highly unlikely it will step down to the identical voltage of any given 18v battery.
        Granted, but my personal experience with this tool is that I just don't believe it to be so. I've used with varying versions of the 18 volt batteries, in various states of charge, and even compared to a nearly dead 24 volt, there's a huge difference. Just not something that feels like the voltage has been stepped down. Hard to explain, but it just has a better "ooomph" output.

Comment

Any idea though if the "new" 18 volt tools are different from the "old" 18 volt tools other than the pretty new design and the new lithium batts that come with 'em?
          If new you mean X3 as the new and X2 as the old, then yes there is a big difference between the tools themselves. Spec sheet states 4400 rpm on the circ saw for the x3, x2 is only 2500, recip saw for the x3 is 3300 spm with the straight orbital setting option, while the x2 is only 2500. Impact looks to be the same spec wise (x2 was better than the max select to begin with) as well as the drill. The Drill, impact and circ all have LED's, the drill is more compact and lighter.

As I mentioned the redesign of the recip saw earlier in the post, easier blade change, better design to keep debris from clogging the shaft. Also mentioned a noticable difference when cutting pressure treated lumber with the new circ saw. Both the saws and the impact specs are better than that of the max select even with the 24v batteries.

I agree though the design is pretty , thats how I convinced my wife to let me get them for my sweetest day present, "they looks so much nicer though sweetheart!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
            If new you mean X3 as the new and X2 as the old, then yes there is a big difference between the tools themselves. Spec sheet states 4400 rpm on the circ saw for the x3, x2 is only 2500, recip saw for the x3 is 3300 spm with the straight orbital setting option, while the x2 is only 2500. Impact looks to be the same spec wise (x2 was better than the max select to begin with) as well as the drill. The Drill, impact and circ all have LED's, the drill is more compact and lighter.

As I mentioned the redesign of the recip saw earlier in the post, easier blade change, better design to keep debris from clogging the shaft. Also mentioned a noticable difference when cutting pressure treated lumber with the new circ saw. Both the saws and the impact specs are better than that of the max select even with the 24v batteries.

I agree though the design is pretty , thats how I convinced my wife to let me get them for my sweetest day present, "they looks so much nicer though sweetheart!"
            And don't forget, you get that neat new flashlight with the X3 kit. The new flourescent flashlight is MaxSelect. The 24V batteries will work with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
              And don't forget, you get that neat new flashlight with the X3 kit. The new flourescent flashlight is MaxSelect. The 24V batteries will work with it.
              That seems in keeping with the older flashlights which were 18 and 24 volt compatible too.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I don't want to knock the fluorescent light but LED is really the way to go if you want long run times, plenty of light, safety from a drop and never having to change a bulb again ever. Sure hope Ridgid decides to step up and make one.

Comment

That seems in keeping with the older flashlights which were 18 and 24 volt compatible too.
                  I didn't think the flashlight in the autoshift, radio, etc 4 piece kit was 24V compatable. I will have to check mine out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I don't want to knock the fluorescent light but LED is really the way to go if you want long run times, plenty of light, safety from a drop and never having to change a bulb again ever. Sure hope Ridgid decides to step up and make one.
                    I've got a little LED flashlight from Bosch, which works with their 10.8V / 12V lithium ion batteries that come with their 3 small Impactor-type tools (right-angle and drill). It works awesome. It's almost the exact same as the flashlight that was a bonus tool included with certain packages of the 10.8V right-angle impactor here in North America (has a swiveling head to the flashlight, I believe). But the LED version is a fixed head, and I think was/is only available through the European market - found it on eBay. Works awesome.

Comment

I didn't think the flashlight in the autoshift, radio, etc 4 piece kit was 24V compatable. I will have to check mine out.
                      No, it isn't. It's the 18 volt model of the flashlight that's included in the R969 AutoShift kit (I just returned a kit - bench tested it for 2 months, just didn't like it at all, too firm of a trigger on the AutoShift for my liking). Just as Ridgid also has a 14 volt version of their flashlight (I think there's also another smaller voltage version of Ridgid's lantern flashlight, I think 12 or 9.6 volt), and each of those only work with the specified voltage battery (not MaxSelect capable).

I think what Tinmack was referring to was the flashlight that comes with the 24 volt tools. That version of the flashlight (distinguished by it's additional coverage of rubberized overmolding on the handle and base) is basically a MaxSelect tool, even though it doesn't have the MaxSelect logo printed on it. It does say either on the label or in it's instruction manual (can't remember where right now, and not able to go out into my garage to check), that this version of the flashlight will accept either 18 or 24 volt batteries, and is inherently MaxSelect.

Comment

No, it isn't. It's the 18 volt model of the flashlight that's included in the R969 AutoShift kit (I just returned a kit - bench tested it for 2 months, just didn't like it at all, too firm of a trigger on the AutoShift for my liking). Just as Ridgid also has a 14 volt version of their flashlight (I think there's also another smaller voltage version of Ridgid's lantern flashlight, I think 12 or 9.6 volt), and each of those only work with the specified voltage battery (not MaxSelect capable).

I think what Tinmack was referring to was the flashlight that comes with the 24 volt tools. That version of the flashlight (distinguished by it's additional coverage of rubberized overmolding on the handle and base) is basically a MaxSelect tool, even though it doesn't have the MaxSelect logo printed on it. It does say either on the label or in it's instruction manual (can't remember where right now, and not able to go out into my garage to check), that this version of the flashlight will accept either 18 or 24 volt batteries, and is inherently MaxSelect.
                        You're being too kind in explaining my mistake.

Yeah, I kinda(really) got things mixed up. The R849 light is 18 volt and the R859(with the overmold/24 volt version) will take 18 or 24 volt batts. You would think that all lights put out once 24 volt/MaxSelect came on line WOULD have taken both batts automatically. I'm assuming though that there's a warehouse stocked full of the old lights somewhere.....

My mistake, sorry.
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

No, it isn't. It's the 18 volt model of the flashlight that's included in the R969 AutoShift kit (I just returned a kit - bench tested it for 2 months, just didn't like it at all, too firm of a trigger on the AutoShift for my liking).
                          I agree about the AutoShift Drill having too firm a trigger. It is also akwardly placed [too big a grip]. I opened a business account [$100 off first purchase and had a $50 off coupon] so I got this kit for the radio. batteries and charger. After I build my deck I will sell the impact as I have the X3. From the look of ebay prices, the drill isn't worth listing.

Comment

The R849 light is 18 volt and the R859(with the overmold/24 volt version) will take 18 or 24 volt batts. You would think that all lights put out once 24 volt/MaxSelect came on line WOULD have taken both batts automatically. I'm assuming though that there's a warehouse stocked full of the old lights somewhere.....
                            That's more than likely very much the case.

You're being too kind in explaining my mistake.

Yeah, I kinda(really) got things mixed up....

My mistake, sorry.
                            Don't worry. We're not all such the @$$&$ to each other that Wartex makes us out to be.

Besides...we can't all be perfect. There's only one of me, and there can be only one.

Comment

I agree about the AutoShift Drill having too firm a trigger. It is also akwardly placed [too big a grip]. I opened a business account [$100 off first purchase and had a $50 off coupon] so I got this kit for the radio. batteries and charger. After I build my deck I will sell the impact as I have the X3. From the look of ebay prices, the drill isn't worth listing.
                              I looked at doing the same. I really just wanted the radio, so I'll either buy one separately through eBay, or wait until they come out as a solo MaxSelect item.

Yeah, the drill I wasn't a fan of. It's been looked at in other threads, but I didn't feel it was that great. IMO, it doesn't beat out the 18v compact lithium ion drill. Me personally, I like having control of whether my drill is in 1st or 2nd gear. Yes, you can disengage the AutoShift feature, but then it stays solely in 2nd/hi gear - that's no good for me, as I have my drill in 1st gear for 80% of my usage. It's too much of a pain, and I'm sure a longevity/wear & tear issue, to have it consistently be in 2nd gear, then when I use it, it practically instantly downshifts into 1st, and then back up into 2nd when I'm done - but wait, no, I'm not done, and I repeat the cycle again. Too much shifting for no reason, IMO.

And, I more than work my drills hard when I use them. But never before have I used a drill where I got a finger cramp so bad within an hour of usage of this drill. There is way too much resistance there, and it makes it a workout to constantly squeeze the trigger. From an ergonomics perspective, a drill is already hard on your wrist from the torque and/or vibrations. I shouldn't have the additional wrist tendon stress from needing to squeeze my index finger so hard to pull the trigger.

Comment

I'll post my query here too since it relates to the LiOn 18v vs 24v kits

So I received the 24v LiON 3-pc as a xmas gift..haven't yet used it as I like to research stuff..hence finding this forum...

kind of on the same topis as OP, but if you had to choose, which would it be & why??

3-pc 24v LiOn R931 set vs. new X3 5-pc 18v LiOn set?
                                price for 24v was $199.20 from HD's clearance + 20% discount, but as per a lot of post and specs, the X3 may be a better/allround buy?

I'm not looking at price as a factor..more about the quality of the tool.
                                and before DRC chimes in about the warranty/reliability of the Rigids...i've already made up my mind to buy the Rigid brand for my next set.
                                (I currently have a 4-pc 19.2v Crasftman that I feel will be done soon, hence the small upgrade)

tia

Comment

Working...
                                X