Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18V lithium 3AH vs 24V lithium Run Time

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
    Granted, but my personal experience with this tool is that I just don't believe it to be so. I've used with varying versions of the 18 volt batteries, in various states of charge, and even compared to a nearly dead 24 volt, there's a huge difference. Just not something that feels like the voltage has been stepped down. Hard to explain, but it just has a better "ooomph" output.
    The R883 MaxSelect Ridgid Jigsaw is currently $119>$89. Has anyone used this jigsaw with 18V Lithium batteries? Information from this thread have stated reduced performance with the MaxSelect circular saw+18V batteries. I do not own any 24V batteries. Any opinions on the jigsaw?

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
      The R883 MaxSelect Ridgid Jigsaw is currently $119>$89. Has anyone used this jigsaw with 18V Lithium batteries? Information from this thread have stated reduced performance with the MaxSelect circular saw+18V batteries. I do not own any 24V batteries. Any opinions on the jigsaw?
      We have a couple of these jig saws and have used them extensively mostly with 24V batts, however we have some experiance using them with 18V LI batts. Jig saws are not very power intensive and this one seems to perform very well using 18V LI batts.........Ray

Comment

Originally posted by sienna owner View Post
        I'll post my query here too since it relates to the LiOn 18v vs 24v kits

So I received the 24v LiON 3-pc as a xmas gift..haven't yet used it as I like to research stuff..hence finding this forum...

kind of on the same topis as OP, but if you had to choose, which would it be & why??

3-pc 24v LiOn R931 set vs. new X3 5-pc 18v LiOn set?
        price for 24v was $199.20 from HD's clearance + 20% discount, but as per a lot of post and specs, the X3 may be a better/allround buy?

I'm not looking at price as a factor..more about the quality of the tool.
        and before DRC chimes in about the warranty/reliability of the Rigids...i've already made up my mind to buy the Rigid brand for my next set.
        (I currently have a 4-pc 19.2v Crasftman that I feel will be done soon, hence the small upgrade)

tia

have confirm from Ridgid CS that the 24v kit & MaxSelects are discontinued and no product line is in the works to replace them.
        (probably cause the X3 outperforms it)

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          We have a couple of these jig saws and have used them extensively mostly with 24V batts, however we have some experiance using them with 18V LI batts. Jig saws are not very power intensive and this one seems to perform very well using 18V LI batts.........Ray
          I second that. While, yes, they (MaxSelect tools) work and perform better with 24 volt batteries, the jigsaw does quite well with the 18 volt lithiums also. You do get slightly reduced SPMs/RPMs, but it still performs quite well. I personally mainly use the 18v lithiums with this tool exclusively, due to there not being too bad of a power difference, and save my 24 volt batteries for using with the 24 volt hammerdrill, MaxSelect circ saw, and MaxSelect recip saw (all of those are power intensive hogs).

Comment

Thanks for the update on the MaxSelect jigsaw. Cordless jigsaw means no more near-misses on the cord and I might even cut straighter.

Comment

Cordless jigsaw means no more near-misses on the cord and I might even cut straighter.
              Therein lies the greatest benefit with this tool.

Comment

After using the and testing the batteries in the vacuum more, I have discovered there is a different pitch with the 24V vs the 18V batteries. The motor is turning faster with the 24V batteries. I have come to the conclusion I have a bad 24V [or weaker] 24V battery as it is now only lasting 13 minutes in the vacuum and I have 3 18V 3.0AH lithiums consistantly running for 20 to 21 minutes in the vacuum. I have 1 18V 3.0AH lithium that dies after 16 minutes consistantly. I thought the 24V batteries were designed to cut off when the voltage gets low but this on just limps along and skips a beat then runs some more. I would imagine this is slowly destroying the battery. The 18V 1.5AH batteries consistantly last 9 minutes in the vac. All of these were tested with a hose attached but just laying on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
                  After using the and testing the batteries in the vacuum more, I have discovered there is a different pitch with the 24V vs the 18V batteries. The motor is turning faster with the 24V batteries. I have come to the conclusion I have a bad 24V [or weaker] 24V battery as it is now only lasting 13 minutes in the vacuum and I have 3 18V 3.0AH lithiums consistantly running for 20 to 21 minutes in the vacuum. I have 1 18V 3.0AH lithium that dies after 16 minutes consistantly. I thought the 24V batteries were designed to cut off when the voltage gets low but this on just limps along and skips a beat then runs some more. I would imagine this is slowly destroying the battery. The 18V 1.5AH batteries consistantly last 9 minutes in the vac. All of these were tested with a hose attached but just laying on the floor.

Leave the weak battery on the charger for a few days. It looks like you have a bad cell and a long trickle charge *might* fix it. Battery shuts down when at least one cell reaches the critical voltage, so you don't get a chance to drain the rest of the cells, that's why you get low runtime.

If you are still under warranty, replace them ASAP.

Comment

Tennessee, how did you make out with this?

Comment

Tennessee, how did you make out with this?
                      I let the 24V battery charge for 54 hours continously. It only ran the vac for 13 minutes before shutting down.

Comment

Sounds like it's time for a 90-day satisfaction exchange if available (I can't remember when you said you had bought it), or a trip to a service center for warranty work. It could almost be a bad circuit in the battery, which doesn't allow it to either charge past a certain level, or discharge past a certain level - the regulating circuit could be faultly.

Comment

Sounds like it's time for a 90-day satisfaction exchange if available (I can't remember when you said you had bought it), or a trip to a service center for warranty work. It could almost be a bad circuit in the battery, which doesn't allow it to either charge past a certain level, or discharge past a certain level - the regulating circuit could be faultly.
                          I made the swap last night was looking forward to a longer lasting batteries. One of the 24V batteries lasted 12 minutes and the other lasted 13 minutes in the cordless vac. My vac must be pulling more current than normal or the Ridgid run times were overly optimistic. Guess I will return the set or just have to live with the shorter run time. The 18V 3AH lithium batteries will still power the vac for 20 minutes before dying.

Comment

I made the swap last night was looking forward to a longer lasting batteries. One of the 24V batteries lasted 12 minutes and the other lasted 13 minutes in the cordless vac. My vac must be pulling more current than normal or the Ridgid run times were overly optimistic. Guess I will return the set or just have to live with the shorter run time. The 18V 3AH lithium batteries will still power the vac for 20 minutes before dying.
                            DC-DC converter will use extra current for it's own operation and heat loss, so yes, the current draw will be higher. Because the converter is transformerless solid state, you don't beneft from voltage difference.

I ran a 18v Dewalt fluorescent light from 18v battery as 680 mA, and then tried a 36-to-18 converter to run it off 36v and current at the battery was 1.1 A.

Only tools that have no DC-DC conversion will benefit from 24v batteries. Also, 24v batteries are 2.8 Ah (2.9 Max), and the 18v are 2.9 Ah (3.0 Max)

Given all this data, I think your runtime is accurate. Apparently they didn't take advantage of higher voltage.

Also found this: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11030

Comment

Just a thought: the 24V provided a shorter run time for you but it should have provided increased performance (suction) based on other MaxSelect tools, i.e.: MaxSelect planer runs at higher rpm with 24V, MaxSelect impact runs different rpm with 24V etc.

Comment

Just a thought: the 24V provided a shorter run time for you but it should have provided increased performance (suction) based on other MaxSelect tools, i.e.: MaxSelect planer runs at higher rpm with 24V, MaxSelect impact runs different rpm with 24V etc.
                                No it wouldn't. Runtime is proportional to energy, and torque is proportional to voltage. If the vac has a DC-DC converter, voltage will be dropped to 18 - same performance. Capacity is lower in 24v batteries and current consumption is higher due to DC-DC conversion, thus lower runtime and same suction.

Only tools that don't use DC-DC converter will benefit from 24v tools, like drills or impacts. According to numerous posts, it looks like the vacuum is an exception.

Comment

Working...
                                X