X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or trash?

I have the 10in Mitre saw which is several years old. It locked up on me and I openned it up, and a whole bunch of ball bearings fell out. Looks like the ball bearing pack around the shaft self-destructed.

As far as I can tell the shaft and the motor are fine, no nicks and afther the clean up rotates smoothly. The problem is that the center portion of the old ball bearing pack (the donut) is still solidly attached to the shaft.

Is there some trick to removing it, or is it twisted into the shaft and the whole thing trash?

I bought a new ball bearing pack thinking I could save it, but now I'm not sure.

Ideas?

Re: Repair or trash?

If it's rusted, hit it with some P.B. Blaster. If not, I'd try heating the piece with a plumber's torch or a butane torch. Might expand it enough to get it off.
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Hmm, I'll give it a try. Not being a plumber I don't have a nifty torch, and I'm a little worried that the plastic motor shield is a little close...
      But on the other hand I don't have much to lose.
      I'll look through my camping gear to adapt a blow torch should be fun to create.

Comment

Could always try something a little less aggressive like a hair dryer first. Sometimes a little heat is all it takes. Just might have to keep the heat on it for a little longer.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I'm not a plumber but I have a turbo torch (acetylene) beats the heck out of a hair dryer and I strongly suggest every DIY'r get one and a couple spare tanks. Great for toasting marshmallows.

Comment

It could be a press fit. Where they cool the shaft to shrink it and heat the bearing to expand it then press it on. Do you have access to a bearing puller? If not you could carefully score the bearing race with a die grinder and knock it off with a cold chisel.

Comment

Well I tried the blow - I mean hairdryer trick. No dice. As for scoring and a cold chisel, the mechanical leverage is just not there. The large fan like structure between the bearing and the rest of the motor windings.
              I'm now voting trash - happy to give it to anyone who has a bearing puller. Must be sweet.

I'm off to go buy a dewalt this time and stop wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
              X