X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 12v Lithium problem

Hello, I bought a 12v mini lithium about 4 hours ago. The 2 drills, 2 battery one for $129 and the first drill I used for a while and then the keyless chuck now just pulls right off and it exposes the gears and such and I cannot figure out if it is broken or what. Great drill but I hope it is not broke. Can I fix this?

Re: New 12v Lithium problem

Originally posted by jdwilliams1 View Post
    Hello, I bought a 12v mini lithium about 4 hours ago. The 2 drills, 2 battery one for $129 and the first drill I used for a while and then the keyless chuck now just pulls right off and it exposes the gears and such and I cannot figure out if it is broken or what. Great drill but I hope it is not broke. Can I fix this?
    The Ridgid 12V Li drill is a nice drill but it seems you picked up a defective one. I recommend returning the drill to HD for another set. In addition to the LLSA there is the 90- DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE POLICY

During the first 90 days after the date of purchase, if you are dissatisfied with the performance of this RIDGID tool for any reason you may return the tool to the dealer from which it was purchased for a full refund or exchange. To receive a replacement tool you must present proof of purchase and return all original equipment packaged with the original product. The replacement tool will be covered by the limited warranty for the balance of the three year warranty period.

Comment

Yes, this is a simple problem to solve. Simply take it back and exchange it for another set.

Comment

Quick question, RE:the 12V LI-ion drill sets, yes they are cute and ideal to work with in small places but!! the batteries are failing fast. I am an authorized service center in Tampa FL. this week alone I have had 6 sets that will not charge or go dead fast and you can hold the chuck still while it happens. Have you heard of this being across the nation?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Technut2 View Post
          Quick question, RE:the 12V LI-ion drill sets, yes they are cute and ideal to work with in small places but!! the batteries are failing fast. I am an authorized service center in Tampa FL. this week alone I have had 6 sets that will not charge or go dead fast and you can hold the chuck still while it happens. Have you heard of this being across the nation?
          Thanks
          Makita had a similar problem and it has to do with cell balancing. The first 2 cells were spotwelded with only 2 dots and the rest had 3 dots. That created a higher resistance joint and first 2 cells were always imbalanced compared to the rest of the pack. Ridgid also uses cells that are very sensitive to discharge patterns so say, if somebody bought a tool and drained it right out of the box and left it for a period of time, the cells will get damaged by overdischarge. Bosch went out of their way to implement a circuit that protects the battery from overdischarge, and the circuit is in the tool. I suppose that Ridgid uses a less accurate cheaper circuit and it might be possible to continuously overdischarge the battery. Also those tools use very high currents, and when you have 3 cells in series, they are drained very hard which also reduces their life. I guess it will be helpful to ask the users what they did with those tools. If somebody stuck a 1" spade bit in there then you have your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Technut2 View Post
            Thanks
            The milwaukee 12v are coming back to Fergusons by the buckets full.Been going on for some time now.

This is great news being that I just bought the Makita kit this weekend,I was hoping for the better from them.Guessed wrong now didn't I

Comment

I have both the Milwaukee driver and the Makita driver and impact. Use the Makita often and the Milwaukee around the house and had no problems. Friend has the Bosch and had problems.

Comment

Hey guys...I run a small low voltage shop (audio/video/voice/data/surveillance)..I picked up a Milwaukee set with impactor, driver, hacksaw, and light and 2 Bosch sets with impactor, driver, drill and light. The small footprint of the tools is great for our line of work and the power is fine for most of our day-to-day tasks. We do use 18v gear and corded hammers for tasks when we need more power/torque. We have not had ANY problems with any of the tools - performance or battery life and they are pretty tuff.... (I did break one of the lights when it took a dive off the 10ft ladder.) I purchased from HD, Fastenal, and ToolUp. I am very satisfied with the tools so far....bought the first Bosch set in July08. My buddy also bought the small Ryobi 12v kit and has had good luck with it although it is mostly DIY stuff. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  The milwaukee 12v are coming back to Fergusons by the buckets full.Been going on for some time now.

This is great news being that I just bought the Makita kit this weekend,I was hoping for the better from them.Guessed wrong now didn't I
                  Makita fixed the problem, only first year batches (2006-2007) were bad and new stuff doesn't have this problem. Word of advice: Makita uses Sony cells which are very temperature sensitive, when you hit +42 C (108 F) they start to lose capacity (permanently). Never leave makita batteries in the trunk in summer time, inside the car or in direct sunlight - you will lose a big chunk of capacity. Also don't overload your tools until batteries get warm, that has the same effect.

Bosch 12v/10.8 uses Sony cells as well, but they are much better than the ones in Makita. Despite lower capacity of 1.1 Ah (makita LXT uses 1.5 Ah cells), they have higher discharge current (=more power), less sensitive to imbalance (when some cells in pack have higher voltage, they start charging neighbouring cells with lower voltage, this is bad) and have longer cycle life compared to Milwaukee/Ridgid. New Porter-Cable 18v drills also use exact same cells as Bosch 12v/10.8.

For compact stuff I'd pick bosch before anything. When they make a recip saw I'm definitely buying it. I like Milwaukee's M-spector and the hackzall, but batteries is a big turnoff for me. Also Bosch makes an awesome flashlight (2 kinds, LED and incand).
                  Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X