X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Delta Mortiser repair

I have to replace the light gauge metal piece that covers the gear rack that moves the fence on my Delta 14-651 mortiser. The original one somehow got bound up and broke. This metal piece covers the gear rack and prevents debris from clogging the gear. The original one was bent to match the teeth of the rack and passed between the rack and the gear as the fence moved forward and back. I bought a new one online ($3 and $10 shipping) but it's completely flat. I am supposed to make 30-40 bends in it to match the rack? Impossible! Does this metal piece go somewhere other than between the rack and the gear? I can't find anywhere it'll fit. Please - someone that has one of these, explain how it works. Better yet - take a couple of pictures. Thanks
    Woodworking is my second-most expensive hobby!

Re: Need help with Delta Mortiser repair

Is this the peice you are referring to?

Item #43 p/n 906750 RACK COVER

Click image for larger version

Name:	19d98d72c774136465b91fdaae85d57c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	5306
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It sure is. And the one I bought looks exactly like that - flat. If it doesn't go between the gear and the rack, where does it go?

Comment

Originally posted by waymegelli View Post
        It sure is. And the one I bought looks exactly like that - flat. If it doesn't go between the gear and the rack, where does it go?
        ???

I think it goes where the drawing shows it.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

OK - I'll try again. That metal strip screws to the rack, near the fence. It extends back over the rack all the way to - and beyond - the gear that moves the rack. Since the teeth of the gear must mesh with the rack in order to move it, this piece must either; 1) mirror the teeth of the rack in order to pass beneath the gear, or 2) go somewhere else - but where?

Comment

Maybe RTFM and look at pages 9 and 10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	889a071bb00b5096cf87e9a8729075b3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	5307
            Last edited by Bob D.; 01-11-2009, 04:20 PM.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Thanks! Sort of - that's how my original one looked. The problem is when you move the fence back a little more than where you show it, this metal strip tries to go under the gear and jams up. Try moving your fence as far back as it will go and tell me what happens to this metal strip.

And thanks very much for you help!

Comment

I don't own a Delta mortiser, so that would be difficult for me to do. I just did a little research on the 'net and studied the photos I found along with reading the manual which I found online at Delta's web site.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Oh - again thanks for the help. Using the picture as a guide, imagine turning that handle to move the rack/fence. Where can the metal cover go, if not thru the meshing gears?

Comment

Don't know. But again, study the photos in the manual (I even gave you the page numbers) and compare to your machine. The cover is shown coming out the back behind the column. Somehow it does that w/o being mashed by the pinion gear. Maybe call Tech support on Monday morning.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

I looked at the manual yesterday and didn't see anything that seemed to apply. It's out in the shop and I didn't want to take the time to run out there while we were having this conversation. I'll go look now. Again - you've been very helpful - thanks. Have a nice afternoon.

Comment

Just to close the loop on this - the metal strip DOES go above the rack-driving gear. However, it's impossible to install without removing the main post from the base, and even then, it's quite a chore to push the strip through the very thin gap between the gear and the cast iron body. Put it all back together and it works fine. I hope this thread is helpful to someone in the future.

Comment

I just purchased this same mortise machine. The metal strip goes from the screw just behind the fence into the mechanism and up and over the sprocket and then back down and out the back. The one you replaced that had all the bends in it, was that way because of wear. The new one isn't like that. I had it apart fiddling with the extension which I decided not to install right now. The bends is the old one are probably from having it installed incorrectly with the steel band going under the sprocket and just acting as a top to the actual sprockets. Good Luck, I'm betting y0u have had it fixed already.

Comment

Working...
                          X