X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pneumatic floor nailer recommendation

I'm planning on installing about 1800 sq. ft. of 3/4" hardwood and going to purchase a nailer. If anyone has a recommendation for a nailer it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: pneumatic floor nailer recommendation

Unless you plan on doing a lot more flooring you might consider renting one for a couple of days. In my neck of the woods they go for about $35/day. You can rent either a stapler or a nailer. I like the crown stapler better. I never split a tongue with the stapler and boy do the staples hold well. Around here, they rent Bostitch nailers and staplers. The reason I bring up renting is the stapler/nailer sells for around $500.

Comment

I have a bostitch "manual" cleat nailer I bought and used on about 1000 sq foot of 3/4 unfinished oak, (I bought a reconditioned one for about $100),
      YOU do have have a good arm but it drives the wood up tight, I know on the flooring discusion boards that the use of cleats and staples is more one of personal opinion.

I have read for single job use many get by with the Chinese import ones HF and similar, but I think I would look in to name brand units if I was going to buy a pneumatic unit.
      in my location rental is not available, If you have the option of rental that may be the way to go, but if you have narrow strips, and this is your first time. and working by your self it may take you some days to lay that much floor, so you may need the unit for a few days or maybe a week or longer, so that may weigh on your decision,

I my self considered the Bostitch and the Porter Cable units, but for cost I went with the manual unit, and am satisfied with my decision,
      If you do go manual, I found the ratchet feature help full on some occasions, (that lets one hit the driver twice to drive a cleat), some situations it is difficult to get a solid hit on the driver,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I decided that I'm going to buy the Bostitch nailer @ Amazon.com. They are selling it for $399 with free shipping. Lowes and HD in my area sell the Bostitch stapler only and they want $479. Amazon offers many Import models that get good reviews for half the price but you pay $50 shipping. I own other Bostitch nailers and they never let me down and besides I'm saving about $6300 in labor. It will feel good to know that I'm installing American grown oak(Bruce) using an American made tool and nails! I don't always get that oppotunity.

Comment

The HFT version is $129 and is an exact copy of the Bostich and I think staples are better as stated. I have an older unit . The newer version can use cleats too. I have never read or heard any problems with the HFT unit. This topic was discussed at woodnetforums too. No bad reviews. I have had no issues and I think it is not worth the 3 x's cost for the Bostich. It is an overpriced tool considering what you could buy for $400 otherwise.

Comment

what about this one:

http://www.everyaircompressor.com/as...d=FR79-CHP1831
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X