Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP0610 Cutter Guard Assembly

Hello all,

Finally broke down and got the JP0610. Love it so far but had one question. When face planing anything under about 3/4 thickness, the workpeice essentially slides under the opening in the cutter guard assembly and doesn't move it to the side at all. That's obviously dangerous. Not real good having a workpiece stuck between the cutter guard and knives.

I spoke to Ridgid and they suggested that for anything under 3/4 inch thickness I should move the guard out of the way or remove it temporarily.

Any of you run a cross this? How did you solve it?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: JP0610 Cutter Guard Assembly

Yep, that's been my experience too. It's one of the frustrating things about starting with S4S lumber. I usually put the leading push block just slightly over the front and to the left of the lumber so that the push block hits the guard first and pushes it out of the way. It gets a little dicey when your lumber is full width though. Event then, on longer pieces, I've had the guard swing back over the lumber in the middle of a cut. If I'm going to do lot of thinner pieces, I'll swing the guard completely out of the way and clip a spring clamp to keep it out of the way. Obviously, this defeats the intended purpose, but is much better than getting it jammed under the guard.

I've often thought of machining down the landing of the guard where it pivots. It seems like it's just plain too high. It looks like you could lower it by about an 1/8" before anything else would hit.

Jim

Comment

Hey Jim,

Yeah, you got it exactly. I thought about that little landing too. Looks like you could probably gain an 1/8 of an inch or so but when you start getting down near a 1/2 inch you'd probably have the same problem again. I think I am just going to remove it for anything under 3/4 and see how it goes. I think I'd rest easier and could focus on what I was doing better if I didn't have to worry about that cutter guard snapping back in the middle of the peice and possible jamming the workpiece up.

Thanks
      Tom

Comment

The RIDGID machine is not the only one with this problem, I have noticed it on others too and my Delta 6" jointer is the same but the gap is about 3/8".

I don't understand why this problem exists. For all of the various makes the guard mounting point is fixed, it's distance from the blades does not change with adjustments to the infeed or outfeed tables, so why can't the clearance between the guard and the cutters be held at say 1/8" or 3/16"?

And TS telling you to remove the guard? Wow, that could be a problem if someone follows their advice and then gets injured.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          The RIDGID machine is not the only one with this problem, I have noticed it on others too and my Delta 6" jointer is the same but the gap is about 3/8".

I don't understand why this problem exists. For all of the various makes the guard mounting point is fixed, it's distance from the blades does not change with adjustments to the infeed or outfeed tables, so why can't the clearance between the guard and the cutters be held at say 1/8" or 3/16"?

And TS telling you to remove the guard? Wow, that could be a problem if someone follows their advice and then gets injured.
          Hey Bob,

Great question. I don't understand it either. I mean you have to know when you design a machine that a good number of people are going to use it to face plane stock under 3/4 inch thickness. I am not sure if it's an oversight by every maker or if they just assume you will know to take the guard off.

I am planning to move the fence in so that only the amount of knife equal to the width of my stock is exposed plus maybe an 1/8 or so. That should be pretty safe but it doesnt make sense to have to do that.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X