Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet-Dry Vac Works For A Moment When Banged On The Floor

Good Day and thank you for your time,
    I was very pleased after purchasing your wet-dry vacuum, model style WD12450. After using it a couple of times, I ran into a situation, maybe someone could assist me with.
    The unit is still pretty brand new, but now will not turn on unless I bang it on the floor just the right way, then turns off again.
    Since it shows wear, and has no box, I am unable to return it to the retailer.
    The housing to the motor is sealed, so it seems I am incapable of obtaining access to that end.
    Being the technician that I am, I’ve been able to dismantle the housing and free the switch slightly. If the problem lies with the wiring contacts at the motor end, where the problem may be, I need to get at them,
    however I am unable to completely remove it. There does not seem to be any slack at the switch with the wiring for me to make the repair. The fault is with the contacts, that seems to be obvious. I just need to be able to get at them.
    If I am suggested to break the housing of the motor, repair the wiring, where the problem may lie, then seal it up real well again, I am capable of that.
    The disassembling and reassembling the switch and the vacuum is no problem to me as I have been in the electronics industry for all of my life. If I am suggested the only way to repair this thing is to smash the switch, replace it, and seal it up real well, I can do that. It just seem foolish to go out and purchase another when this unit is still so brand new.
    Would someone please assist me with my situation as there is no shop around to do the repair? Should I dare ask for a replacement? I do not have the receipt any longer, but the wear and tear with the unit clearly shows that it is still pretty new.
    I anticipate a reply from one of your technicians or whomever is able to assist me.
    Printed below is the model number with serial number for verification.
    Again, thank you for your time, and, have a nice day. Bill
    Model WD12450
    120v 100a 60hz
    Serial # 07073 R 5148

Re: Wet-Dry Vac Works For A Moment When Banged On The Floor

Hopefully, you still have your receipt so you can prove when you bought it. If you do, take the vac to a RIDGID Service Center and have them check it over. I assume that you purchased this vac within the last year or so which would mean that it's still under warranty. Go to the ridgid.com website and look up the closest Service Center to you.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthpig View Post
      The unit is still pretty brand new, but now will not turn on unless I bang it on the floor just the right way, then turns off again. Since it shows wear, and has no box, I am unable to return it to the retailer
      Check out the link for the warranty before making any repairs:
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-W...y/EN/index.htm

Comment

"Those who stretch the truth usually find that it snaps back" was not
        necessary when I'm looking for help. The unit sat in its unopened box for better than a year, so Home Depot cares not about the unit. We all know what the word 'assume' stands for. The closest Service Center does not exist.
        Thank you much reConx for the link. It took a phone call to receive an email and instructions as to how to handle this situation.
        Y'all have a nice day now.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthpig View Post
          "Those who stretch the truth usually find that it snaps back" was not
          necessary when I'm looking for help. The unit sat in its unopened box for better than a year, so Home Depot cares not about the unit. We all know what the word 'assume' stands for. The closest Service Center does not exist.
          Thank you much reConx for the link. It took a phone call to receive an email and instructions as to how to handle this situation.
          Y'all have a nice day now.
          Earth Pig, Badger dave was not insinuating anything at all by that statement, that is his "signature line" just a quote on all of his posts that appears, please do not think it was directed toward you!

Comment

FIGHTER READY! LETS GET IT ON!

Put the gloves down Earth Pig.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Earthpig,

There is an authorized service center in Schenectady. The Ridgid rep told me it is one of the best in the Northeast. Unfortunately I have forgotten the business name. There are other authorized Ridgid service centers in the area but it seems they experience long delays in getting parts.

Tom

Comment

Before you get violent with the vacuum check the operator's manual!

I am looking at the parts diagram and I see the 1. cap trim, 2. toggle switch, 3. motor cover, power cord etc.

If they "put it together" you can "take it apart"!

Look under 7. the lid. I bet you find 3 or 4 screws holding the motor assembly together.

This is difficult to write and jump to the manual etc. So, read the manual and study the parts break down assembly. As a technician you should be able to troubleshoot the problem
                without needing to go to anger management classes [ha ha] I'm rooting for you!

Have you verified the power cord and plug are OK? It's not uncommon to have bad molded plug known as an intermittent connection, and when you bang the thing well you know! Also look at the strain relief where the power cord goes into the 7. lid.

for the record..if you had a "short" known as "an electrical short" the vacuum would have smoked by now or you would have popped a circuit breaker!

The layout seems quite simple a power cord, an on/off switch, and an induction motor.
                Perhaps they are fine and there is a problem elsewhere...look at the 15. blower wheel and 10. collector assembly. They may be hanging up some debris or burr or something and
                it causes the vacuum to stall.

Another possibility is indeed a bad motor...but that would just be too easy!

Happy hunting, good luck and please report back after you solve your problem..There may be others waiting for the answer to the same problem

Cactus Man

Comment

ME?!?! Putting Up My Dukes?!?! Why I Can Hardly See!! I'm really pleased with all the responses dealing with my situation. Well, the children brought it downstairs before the holiday and before I had a chance to continue with the investigating.
                  I've 12 screws 'tho, so the rest ought to be cake.
                  Thank you much for the info reConx!

Comment

Working...
                  X