Why did retailers clear out their V28 inventories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did retailers clear out their V28 inventories

None of my local dealers carry this stuff. They'll order it for you but it seems like Amazon is the best place to get it anyway. I don't think they're getting more power out of their new 18 volt batteries than they do the older 28s so what gives?

Edit: Uh.. sorry, Milwaukee V28. Anybody know if there's any rumors of a new higher power line coming soon? I want a cordless circ saw that doesn't suck but if they're on the verge of a new 36 volt lith ion line or something, I'd rather wait.
    Last edited by ErikReppen; 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM.

Re: Why did retailers clear out their V28 inventories

From what I heard Milwaukee had some major issues with the V28 battery which is why you don't see it any longer except for on line retailers who still have inventory left. I think their is a reason why the 18 Volt is M18 instead of V18 because they realized that they had used very poor battery chemistry in the 28 Volt line.
    If you're looking for larger voltage circ saws I would strongly suggest the DeWalt 36V. This one actually has a full 7 1/4" blade instead of the usual 6 1/2" blade. I haven't seen on in a Depot in a while but we got a couple of them through Grainger.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
      From what I heard Milwaukee had some major issues with the V28 battery which is why you don't see it any longer except for on line retailers who still have inventory left. I think their is a reason why the 18 Volt is M18 instead of V18 because they realized that they had used very poor battery chemistry in the 28 Volt line.
      If you're looking for larger voltage circ saws I would strongly suggest the DeWalt 36V. This one actually has a full 7 1/4" blade instead of the usual 6 1/2" blade. I haven't seen on in a Depot in a while but we got a couple of them through Grainger.
      Ahhh....NO.

You are unfortunately incorrect on this point.

My local Home Depot got the V28 line in around for Fall/Christmas 2006. The line was new and there was a free tool promo on at that time. It was never meant to be a regular stock item, unlike the 18 volt tools which were cheaper and weren't geared towards heavy duty users like the V28.

As far as battery issues - the same was said about the DeWalt 36 volt line. Those DeWalt things weigh a ton - they are probably the heaviest cordless tool out there right now. Then again, there are yellow supporters out there.......

Milwaukee within the last year also added some tools to the V28 line, notably the angle grinder and portable shop vac. It's a great line of tools, and if you can get a clear out deal at store level, I'd grab it. Since the line hasn't actively been stocked for a couple of years at Home Depot(at least my local one anyways) that might be hard to do.

Depending on what your needs are/tool preferences, the 24 volt Ridgid set being cleared out now at HD is a smokin' deal, especially if you can find a MaxSelect circular saw, planer, jigsaw, caulking gun, radio, etc. to go along with it.

But as far as Milwaukee V28 being cleared out and the M18 having just as much power, the short answer is NO and NO to both questions/statements.

The V28 is beastly with power.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
        As far as battery issues - the same was said about the DeWalt 36 volt line. Those DeWalt things weigh a ton - they are probably the heaviest cordless tool out there right now. Then again, there are yellow supporters out there.......
        I won't deny it, I like DeWalt, but this whole "36v tools weight a ton" is total load of BS spread on the internet by people who never even touched these tools.

Here's actual battery weight, I personally measured on a scale:

18v NiCd XRP = 1075 g = 2.37 lbs
        18v LiFePO4 NANO = 680 g
        36v LiFePO4 NANO = 1130 g = 2.49 lbs

36v battery is 1.9 Oz heavier than 18v NiCad pack. 18v Max NiCd or 24v ridgid pack is 2.4 lbs, or 1.44 Oz lighter than 36v DeWalt.

As for tools, they are about 5-10% heavier than 18v versions because of extra plastic, extra electronics inside and larger motors. They are big but they are not heavy. Go to HD and try a Milwaukee recip saw or 18v X2 ridgid drills, they weigh more than a grand piano.

Battery "problems" (both V28 and 28/36v dewalt) is also a myth and was spread by idiots who used the batteries right out of the box, overdischarged them and then complained in online forums, Amazon etc when their chargers showed "defective battery". There was a small number of kits where one of the batteries was DOA because it was stuck in a tool and sat on the shelf for a over year, with very little charge, and eventually overdischarged due to self-discharge and quiescent current in the battery management system. It was retailers' fault.

Manuals for both Dewalt and Milwaukee state that you need to charge the batteries before first use. Milwaukee is more prone to overdischarge so there was a little higher number of incidents. Also a lot of V18/V28 users suddenly realized that cycle performance is very limited (500-800 cycles despite promised 2000) and stopped buying V28/V18 stuff, and in general contractors are cautious of buying anything above 18v because they don't want to migrate to a new system.

Also the market for high voltage tools was initially ruined by greedy suppliers. I've seen 36v batteries sold for $250 a piece (and $500 in europe). V28 drill kit was like $650.

There are still local suppliers who sell Makita 3Ah batteries for $170 when the price is $620 for 10-pack, or $62 a piece.

Comment

Ahhh....NO.

Those DeWalt things weigh a ton - they are probably the heaviest cordless tool out there right now. Then again, there are yellow supporters out there.......

The 36v tools share the same casing as the 18v/28v groups which makes them identical in size shape and weight. The battery accounts for most of the weight difference and it's rougly the same footprint and weight as the old 18v nicad packs. Only difference is the different battery base on the tools. Take a look at the huge 36v reciprocating saw next to makita's compact 18v saw. They both weigh exactly 8.9 pounds with battery.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Velosapien; 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikReppen View Post
            None of my local dealers carry this stuff. They'll order it for you but it seems like Amazon is the best place to get it anyway. I don't think they're getting more power out of their new 18 volt batteries than they do the older 28s so what gives?

Edit: Uh.. sorry, Milwaukee V28. Anybody know if there's any rumors of a new higher power line coming soon? I want a cordless circ saw that doesn't suck but if they're on the verge of a new 36 volt lith ion line or something, I'd rather wait.
            Since they just redesigned and refined the 18v line and introduced the 12v I wouldn't doubt that a reworked 28v group is due at some point soon. I also think that many places don't carry this because the high voltage groups just haven't moved as well as the 18v. Notice the popularity now for compact groups.

Comment

[quote=tinmack;200999]
              Depending on what your needs are/tool preferences, the 24 volt Ridgid set being cleared out now at HD is a smokin' deal, especially if you can find a MaxSelect circular saw, planer, jigsaw, caulking gun, radio, etc. to go along with it. Hope you get the LSA, because you will need it at some point.

But as far as Milwaukee V28 being cleared out and the M18 having just as much power, the short answer is NO and NO to both questions/statements. I never stated that they had the same power. Anyone with a brain should be able to determine one would have more than the other.
              quote]
              Not going to get in a a big fight over this but I have to say that I do know what I am talking about regardless of the BS that you want to believe. DeWalt is the ONLY manufacturer that has not had to change their lithium formula and they have the exact same formula in all 3 lithium platforms they have on the market. If you take time to understand the actual facts such as weight and size like pointed out above you might actually learn something. But I understand it is easier to read stuff online that is posted by people who like to use blogs and forums to complain and *****. An extra ounce in weight is a great trade off when you have to have the extra power that is produced by a 36V tool. I don't think an ounce is a TON!!!

Comment

lurch, Dewalt also has 14.4 Nano tools but they are not available in USA/Canada because they are running a trial in Europe, but they will be here soon.

Also B&D VPX line uses same cells as 14.4/18v Nano.

Comment

[quote=lurch;201185]
                  Depending on what your needs are/tool preferences, the 24 volt Ridgid set being cleared out now at HD is a smokin' deal, especially if you can find a MaxSelect circular saw, planer, jigsaw, caulking gun, radio, etc. to go along with it. Hope you get the LSA, because you will need it at some point.

But as far as Milwaukee V28 being cleared out and the M18 having just as much power, the short answer is NO and NO to both questions/statements. I never stated that they had the same power. Anyone with a brain should be able to determine one would have more than the other.
                  quote]
                  Not going to get in a a big fight over this but I have to say that I do know what I am talking about regardless of the BS that you want to believe. DeWalt is the ONLY manufacturer that has not had to change their lithium formula and they have the exact same formula in all 3 lithium platforms they have on the market. If you take time to understand the actual facts such as weight and size like pointed out above you might actually learn something. But I understand it is easier to read stuff online that is posted by people who like to use blogs and forums to complain and *****. An extra ounce in weight is a great trade off when you have to have the extra power that is produced by a 36V tool. I don't think an ounce is a TON!!!
                  No need to get nasty - although it seems all you do is hang around a Ridgid sponsored forum and talk trash about tools manufactured by the sponsor. Kinda like having Thanksgiving dinner with a relative you hate.

Regardless, you were incorrect about the line being removed due to battery composition/whatever. The V28 was never regular stock Home Depot - I'm sure the 18 volt line is more palatable to the customer.

As far as the 18 volt having as much power, the original thread poster implied that, and I was responding to him indirectly towards the end of my post, and was not directing the response to you.

Why don't you and your fellow yellow-bleeder Wartex find a room some place so you can do some "testing" on your beloved Nano batteries.

'Cause I don't think anybody else really gives a sh!t otherwise.

Comment

[quote=tinmack;201200]
                    Originally posted by lurch View Post

No need to get nasty - although it seems all you do is hang around a Ridgid sponsored forum and talk trash about tools manufactured by the sponsor. Kinda like having Thanksgiving dinner with a relative you hate.

Regardless, you were incorrect about the line being removed due to battery composition/whatever. The V28 was never regular stock Home Depot - I'm sure the 18 volt line is more palatable to the customer.

As far as the 18 volt having as much power, the original thread poster implied that, and I was responding to him indirectly towards the end of my post, and was not directing the response to you.

Why don't you and your fellow yellow-bleeder Wartex find a room some place so you can do some "testing" on your beloved Nano batteries.

'Cause I don't think anybody else really gives a sh!t otherwise.
                    I will just take the advice you post on the bottom of each post and will follow that.

Comment

Tinmack,

first of all, "sponsored forum" is such a ridiculous concept it's appalling. I can register a domain name and set up hosting and throw a Vbulletin or phpBB on it for $20, in about 30 minutes. So stating I owe something to ridgid for having me here is just absolute absurd. Ridgid benefits from me posting here because it increases their page rank on search engines and creates a higher awareness of this brand. So if anything, Ridgid owes ME.

Secondly, I own Ridgid and milwaukee tools. You on the other hand are just a fanboy, obnoxious like Britney Spears fans.

Thirdly, I own and use more brands of power tools than you can count on your fingers, from Makita grinders all the way to inner workings of Hilti laser range meters, and know more about them than you can probably learn in a decade.

Now that I got that out of my system, I'm gonna go ahead and follow the advice in your signature.
                      Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21925

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=21285&page=3

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17473244

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...d.php?p=197603

Yeah......whatever. Nobody cares/likes what you say or think here or in any of the other forums you lurk about in.

Now go back to your Quake game or whatever you do when you're not annoying people.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                          I won't deny it, I like DeWalt, but this whole "36v tools weight a ton" is total load of BS spread on the internet by people who never even touched these tools.

Here's actual battery weight, I personally measured on a scale:

18v NiCd XRP = 1075 g = 2.37 lbs
                          18v LiFePO4 NANO = 680 g
                          36v LiFePO4 NANO = 1130 g = 2.49 lbs

36v battery is 1.9 Oz heavier than 18v NiCad pack. 18v Max NiCd or 24v ridgid pack is 2.4 lbs, or 1.44 Oz lighter than 36v DeWalt.

As for tools, they are about 5-10% heavier than 18v versions because of extra plastic, extra electronics inside and larger motors. They are big but they are not heavy. Go to HD and try a Milwaukee recip saw or 18v X2 ridgid drills, they weigh more than a grand piano.

Battery "problems" (both V28 and 28/36v dewalt) is also a myth and was spread by idiots who used the batteries right out of the box, overdischarged them and then complained in online forums, Amazon etc when their chargers showed "defective battery". There was a small number of kits where one of the batteries was DOA because it was stuck in a tool and sat on the shelf for a over year, with very little charge, and eventually overdischarged due to self-discharge and quiescent current in the battery management system. It was retailers' fault.

Manuals for both Dewalt and Milwaukee state that you need to charge the batteries before first use. Milwaukee is more prone to overdischarge so there was a little higher number of incidents. Also a lot of V18/V28 users suddenly realized that cycle performance is very limited (500-800 cycles despite promised 2000) and stopped buying V28/V18 stuff, and in general contractors are cautious of buying anything above 18v because they don't want to migrate to a new system.

Also the market for high voltage tools was initially ruined by greedy suppliers. I've seen 36v batteries sold for $250 a piece (and $500 in europe). V28 drill kit was like $650.

There are still local suppliers who sell Makita 3Ah batteries for $170 when the price is $620 for 10-pack, or $62 a piece.
                          Wartex - Instructions in the manual on use of batteries and charger state you don't have to charge the batteries out of the box. So I don't know that the "overdischarged" battery should be an issue and show defective battery.

Comment

My V28 is great. No problems, and with a 2000 charge/5 year warranty I'm not really worried about it.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Well, they do show their characteristic laziness in the writing of their manuals from what I'm seeing and they mislabel the battery type as NiCad but they DO say to charge the battery before use, which is kind of a no-brainer for anyone who's ever used any kind of rechargeable. Anyone who knew they were using a new battery type should of got their facts straight before making assumptions about the new technology regardless, especially after paying that much for it.

The one negative thing I do believe about these tools is that the batteries react to moisture like the Wicked Witch of the West. You can't use these tools in the rain or in particularly moist conditions without taking precautions to further waterproof them. That, I believe, may be why they're redoing their 18-volt set and they made such a big point of talking about how well their 12-volt stuff fares against water.

Oh, and I'm just not impressed with Dewalt by and large. I've heard their miter saws are worth looking at but I've researched every other tool purchase I've made or am considering and the general consensus seems to be too much for too little since B&D took over. They rarely break from the middle of the pack in review-roundups that frequently include tools I would consider consumer grade. Also, I don't see how they expect me to take them seriously with a 1-year warranty. I'm not buying a hair dryer or a toaster here. I'm buying a really expensive cordless tool that damn well better last if I have to pay that much to replace a battery every 2 years or so. When they do make a solid performer it always seems to have one big flaw which is characteristically craptastic ergonomics or enough bulk/weight to make the tool awkward to use. I do lean towards Milwaukee, but make no mistake. When I get that jigsaw, it's going to be the Bosch or a Festool if I've picked up enough work to afford one. When I get the belt sander, I'm going with Makita, maybe Bosch. Router? Milwaukee. Porter Cable? 'Meh. Nice after-market accessories but again, quality appears to have slipped below the standards that earned them the brand-loyalty that's sustaining them now. The drills? Aside from the vintage Crafsman, Milwaukee, every last one of 'em. I've also considered porter cable, Freud and even looked at Craftsman and Hitachi.

When I can afford it, I'd just much rather buy the right tool the first time than take the disposable route. I've heard one too many Dewalt fans proudly proclaim how "hard" they are on their tools. First of all, that's not really something to be proud of. You use the right tool for the right job in the right way or you don't know what you're doing. Second, isn't that part of Dewalt's marketing campaign? Third, are you sure you're actually being hard on your tools or do they just suck so bad that they crap out every year or two? As someone with an interest in vintage tools, who sees beat-to-hell stuff from 50 years ago that still works quite regularly, I'm just not that impressed with that.

And yeah, I'm ashamed to admit it factors in even the slightest way but they are butt-ugly as freaking sin. I feel like I'm handling a Tonka toy when I pick up a Dewalt tool and that just doesn't inspire confidence.
                              Last edited by ErikReppen; 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X