New 12V Compact Drill & Impact Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 12V Compact Drill & Impact Driver

I wonder if Ridgid is going to sell a set soon with the compact impact and the new 2 speed compact driver?
    I saw that they had a 2 pack of the old compact drivers at HD for $129

Comment

I bought the twin pack of drivers back in Nov 08 for $119 at HD. I knew it was a deal. 2 guns, 2 batts, a charger and a bag. They are plenty powerful and the size is nice. Weight still has it feeling like a driver, not a toy. I just need to convince a buddy to buy the combo kit, and piece me out the impact. (and maybe Ill just take the holster it comes with too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        Same here. They went on sale for 129 for a while but are now back to $149. Looks like HD just mass purchased them so they can sell them for pretty cheap. Around here they had multiple pallets in each store of the combo's and they look like they've been quite the hot seller.
        I was at HomoDepot yesterday, and I saw that the tag for the makita set said $179>>$129. Rang up as $179 at the register, but the they agreed to gave it to me for $129! They changed the tag on the shelf after that.
        The silver metal case is cheesy, but I didn't buy it for the case! They sell just the 10.8 impact for $149.

Comment

Picked this set up yesterday at HD for $129. Quality appears to be top notch for the driver and the drill. However, the holster may be a bit of a problem as it activates the trigger when you insert either the drill or driver - could really mess up a pair of Levis if you happen to have a spade it mounted (or your leg ); may loosen up a bit after it gets broke in. I also have the Bosch PS20 which fits perfectly in the Ridgid holster!

The set comes with a separate manual for each piece; drill, driver, charger, and battery plus a parts repair sheet for the drill and driver (nice touch!), although, like most user manuals, they are poorly written. Someone else mentioned that one of the batteries was tough to get in and out of the tool - I had the same problem but after a few mounts, dismounts, it loosened up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Avanzi View Post
            Took the set home to have a go and keep if I liked. Wasn't too impressed. Drills and fastens quite nicely however very top heavy and unbalanced for its light weight 2.5lb frame, verrry large grip. For the price I am better off buying an 18v "compact" drill & impact duo which costs a little more but has more power and feels the same.

Batteries didn't fit well. I couldn't get one battery back out without an extraordinary effort (4 hands), the other didn't snap into place. Tak'n er back.
            I have the Milwaukee set and I also have the Makita 18V set and love it. Has the power of the 18V but is light like the 12V.

Comment

I think it's neat seeing some older threads re-awoken, and looking back on what was said and noticed about some of these tools, with us now having a few months (or a year or more) of real-life usage with these to compare it to.

I still laugh at the first page mention of the "$70 off" sticker on the pack of the impact and drill/driver. A complete marketing crock of crap, considering that number was dreamed up based on what it would cost to buy the two tools separately, outside of a paired-up kit - when in reality these tools were never available as separate purchases. While the drill is available solo (it was the first rollout), this little impact was/is only available in this kit.

I too, still, would love to see this battery line-up develop further, similarly to what TTI has done with the Milwaukee 12 volt lithium-ion lineup. I'd love to see Ridgid release an updated right-angle impact driver to work with this battery technology. A little micro mouse-sander would be kinda cool, too. Maybe even a powered standard stapler, something to work with T25/T50 sheathing staples.

Just not another caulking gun.

Oh well. We'll just all have to cross our fingers for Christmastime rollouts.

Josh, ProBrand - any crumbs you can throw our way, fellas???!!!! Purdy please!

Comment

Working...
              X