X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing two kits.

I'm looking at two different kits and I could use some help.

I'm looking at:
    Ridgid R964 4PC 18v Lion Kit.
    or
    Dewalt DC4PAKA 4PC 18v XRP kit.

And I could use your assistance in trying to figure out which one best suites my needs.

I've recently started doing side work for people, remodeling, renovations, and fixing stuff around the house. In no way are these major jobs but stuff that can easily take a few solid days to complete.

What's everyone's takes on these? I'm not finding a lot of reviews on them.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Re: Comparing two kits.

I realize this is a Ridgid site but I would strongly suggest the DeWalt kit. The tools tend to be a bit lighter and also perform mcuh better. One example is that hammer drill. DeWalt has a 3 speed and Ridgid is only a 2 speed and we have found this to be a big difference especially when driving screws and using the hammer method. The other nice option on the DeWalt is the 4 position that they have on the Recip saw. We have done a lot of demo projects and being able to put a blade in the saw sideways has been a big help when cutting out joist that are fastened to the floor. I also think you will be much happier with the service program that DeWalt offers. Depending on your location you probably have a service center located near your location. The one here in Columbus is very good and much better than dealing with HD when you have to get something serviced.

Comment

My big attraction to the Ridgid set was the LiOn.

I have both a Dewalt and Ridgid service center within a 30 min drive of my house.

I'm glad you answered honestly even though this is a ridged site, this is information I'm looking for, thanks.

What is everyones takes on getting reconditioned tools? That Dewalt XPS kit you can get for $299 and the Ridgid kit you can get for $300. Both sets reconditioned.

Comment

i've seen the 4pc 16v lion @HD for $399. i would go with the ridgid long term. after 3 years, repairs on the dewalt are the owner's problem. once the ridgid are registered for the LSA, repairs are on ridgid. nothing like paying for something once.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Just do a search about warranty problems with Ridgid on this forum. I have been waiting for two weeks on parts.

I like Ridgid's pipe wrenches, threaders, drain cleaning machines and other hand tools but they can keep their cordless tools.

To answer the original question, if it is between those two I would go with the DeWalt.
          Last edited by Tyman; 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM. Reason: I was cranky
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I thought I read that the hand power tools for Ridgid only had a three year warranty, just like the Dewalt.

Comment

New Ridgid tools do come with lifetime warranty -- including the original batteries / charger cane with the kit.

However I do NOT believe Ridgid offers LSA on recon tools.

Originally posted by cornick View Post
              I thought I read that the hand power tools for Ridgid only had a three year warranty, just like the Dewalt.
              Last edited by Wagon Man; 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I would choose the Dewalt kit over the Ridgid. I own the Dewalt XRP 4 piece kit and it performs great. The only downside is that it has nicad and not li-ion batteries. Dewalt sells Nano lithium batteries that fit the majority of their 18 volt tools if you wish to upgrade in the future. From my experience, the XRP batteries provided in the kit have excellent runtime. Dewalt also provides a large assortment of power tools that run off of their 18 volt batteries. Just my two cents.

Comment

If you're looking at reconditioned tools I would say its a toss up but if you're looking for new look at the newer Ridgid LI-Ion set, its pretty nice, a lot nicer I think than either of the sets you're asking about. As for the Lifetime Service Agreement on the new tools you can't beat it. Some people have complained about service but from what you can see when you read the posts as suggested, you'll find that most issues with the service is a lack of following directions i.e. taking the tool to Home Depot rather than a sercive center, not registering the tools etc. I took my recp saw in to get serviced and got it back with in a weeks time.

Comment

The lsa sounds good but I have a 3650 that I registered 9n Dec of 07 and it still isn't on the lsa. I have contacted ridgid and sent in another registration 4 months ago and still isn't on the list. I have a spindle sander that is 4 months old and isn't on the list either. By the time they get to me The three years will have expired.

Comment

Working...
                    X