Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

    Why did Bosch change from 10.8 to 12V for the PS Series tools?

    Can the older tools that were supplied with 10.8V batteries use the newer 12V batteries without doing damage to the tool?

    I had the 10.8V i-Driver (PS10) a while back but didn't like the the way torque clutch worked so I returned it.

    Now I see they have a whole new line of 12V tools and
    I don't see any info on the older 10.8V models on their site.

    I'm not against the change in voltage but I wonder why they did not start with 12V in the first place. In the beginning they only had two tools, the PS-10 and the PS-20.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

  • #2
    Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

    It's exactly the same tool and voltage with perhaps some minor updates. The jump to 12v was a marketing move. Since lithium ion cells peak at about 4 volts per cell when fully charged and level out to about 3.6v soon after use. While it is really a 10.8v tool they are 12v at peak charge. They only changed it after Milwaukee and Ridgid came out with their own 3 cell lithium tools sold as 12v. I'm actually surprised Makitas new 10.8v tools are still correctly sold as 10.8v tools even if that might put them at a disadvantage against the competition.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

      OK thanks for that. I though they might have done some marketing slight of hand.

      So there should be no problem using the older tool marketed as a 10.8v tool with the newer 12v batteries if I understand you correctly, either battery can be charged in either charger too I guess?

      I know of an older 10.8v PS-10 like I had that is for sale but the battery broke when it was dropped (the battery alone, not the tool). Even though I returned the one I bought because I did not care for the clutch if the price is right I might get this one and pick up a 12v battery for it, providing the 10.8v charger is OK to use with the 12v battery.

      And I think originally they had three not two models in the 10.8v line as I had stated earlier.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

        The batteries are fully compatible since they are the same. Only the change in name. The tools themselves have small improvements.

        http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...x_pocket_d.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

          Just to add to that the PS20 Pocket Driver is really the only tool that even got a significant upgrade with more power and new bit holder. Your PS10 & the PS40 really didn't even change at all except for the new labels.

          After Milwaukee came out with the M12 line; Bosch had to change to keep up. Milwaukee M12 tools are just a 10.8v as well when you are looking at nominal power rates.
          Jay
          Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
          Coptool - Power Tool Blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

            Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Even though I returned the one I bought because I did not care for the clutch if the price is right I might get this one and pick up a 12v battery for it, providing the 10.8v charger is OK to use with the 12v battery.

            And I think originally they had three not two models in the 10.8v line as I had stated earlier
            .
            Check your local Lowe's for leftover 10.8 batteries closed out ~$24 in the past few weeks. 12v replacements are in the $48 range. I'm very happy with my 10.8s but I do have 18v Bosch tools for the big jobs!

            On the other hand Onetooladay.com has a two-fer today on the 12v PS. Good deal if you need both and two chargers and four batteries! Whew!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

              Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
              Just to add to that the PS20 Pocket Driver is really the only tool that even got a significant upgrade with more power and new bit holder. Your PS10 & the PS40 really didn't even change at all except for the new labels.

              After Milwaukee came out with the M12 line; Bosch had to change to keep up. Milwaukee M12 tools are just a 10.8v as well when you are looking at nominal power rates.

              This is correct, Milwaukee was the only reason Bosch changed to labels 12vMax.

              Another lame attempt by TTI to 1up somebody.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                This is correct, Milwaukee was the only reason Bosch changed to labels 12vMax.

                Another lame attempt by TTI to 1up somebody.
                Hmm, Sounds like a completely unbiased comment, sort of.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                  Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                  Hmm, Sounds like a completely unbiased comment, sort of.
                  I mean come on, what they did with Milwaukee 2000 charge warranty, it's a blatant lie. This is the battery spec sheet:
                  http://www.molienergy.bc.ca/pdf/IMR26700.pdf

                  Look at cycling characteristics. 300 cycles - 25% capacity loss (drills use around 30A with medium load), and graph is linear. So project that to 1000 cycles - 83% capacity loss (2 years of everyday use). What good is a 490 mAh battery? Also, the battery capacity is 2.9 Ah and not 3.

                  Same with their 12v batteries. Cells are 4.2v in the first 24 hours of charge or first 15 SECONDS of using them, then they drop to 3.7 and then hang out around 3.5v for the most of the discharge cycle.

                  Same with the nailgun (I own 7110-20). I absolutely love it, but "lightest in it's class" is a lie.

                  What's up with shady marketing slogans?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                    What company doesn't do this? Best gas mileage in its class, best warranty, etc. There is always something but I'm sure DeWalt never has done anything even a little shady right? I know this argument has been made before but I know plenty of guys that use Milwaukee li-ion batteries and are more than just satisfied with them. i don't want to say much more you might think its with in your rights to shoot me, lets not steal this guys thread too huh?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                      Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                      I mean come on, what they did with Milwaukee 2000 charge warranty, it's a blatant lie. This is the battery spec sheet:
                      http://www.molienergy.bc.ca/pdf/IMR26700.pdf

                      Look at cycling characteristics. 300 cycles - 25% capacity loss (drills use around 30A with medium load), and graph is linear. So project that to 1000 cycles - 83% capacity loss (2 years of everyday use). What good is a 490 mAh battery? Also, the battery capacity is 2.9 Ah and not 3.

                      Same with their 12v batteries. Cells are 4.2v in the first 24 hours of charge or first 15 SECONDS of using them, then they drop to 3.7 and then hang out around 3.5v for the most of the discharge cycle.

                      Same with the nailgun (I own 7110-20). I absolutely love it, but "lightest in it's class" is a lie.

                      What's up with shady marketing slogans?
                      Dude, no offense, but you are annoying. I can tell a reply is yours without looking at the name.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                        [quote=Bob D.;202453]Can the older tools that were supplied with 10.8V batteries use the newer 12V batteries without doing damage to the tool [quote]

                        FYI: If you still got the Bosch 10.8V power tools the Local Lowes has reduced the price of the "older" 10.8V batteries to 11.25 YMMV. 100% compatible with any Bosch 10.8-12V power tool. If you have to have the "sticker" 12V they are 43

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bosch PS Series 10.8 & 12V batteries

                          [quote=reConx;203588][quote=Bob D.;202453]Can the older tools that were supplied with 10.8V batteries use the newer 12V batteries without doing damage to the tool

                          FYI: If you still got the Bosch 10.8V power tools the Local Lowes has reduced the price of the "older" 10.8V batteries to 11.25 YMMV. 100% compatible with any Bosch 10.8-12V power tool. If you have to have the "sticker" 12V they are 43
                          Yep. Just checked that out this weekend. And as Velo said, they are the same - they have the exact same part numbers (BT410, I think, or something like that), but the newer 12 volt versions just have an "A" added onto the end. Tried one of the new ones in my 10.8V Impactor - same thing, different pile. Either way, works great.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X