X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what kinds colors seem to proffesional for powertools

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
    It will not matter what color you make them,

In my line of work, they always end up doo-doo brown.
    So I presume you like a tool with less vent-holes, and less absorbant foam padding then?!!?!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      As dumb as it is to debate tool colors: the Blue and Yellow tools look OK with the silverish battery. The new green tools look terrible with the black/yellow battery.
      I agree 100%! My blue Ryobi tools look great with the new silver 2.4 Ah Li batteries. FYI: ONE Local HD reduced the P813 18V Li Ryobi drill+Light+2 Li batteries+charger+bag $199>99. Not sure what to do with the awful looking lime-green drill+bag+light.

Comment

I know this is going to sound goofy but some of the guys I used to work with thought that because some of Ridgids tools were the same color as Home Depot, that the two of them were married in some way. They also felt that because Home Depot sold so many plumbing items that had been built to a lesser specification that the same was true for the orange painted tools. I can't tell you how many times I explained to my guys that this was not so. I was amazed that when the guys I worked with would go out and get their own personal tools, they picked red using the color as a basis for quality.

Comment

Bottom line for me is that the color doesn't particularly matter as long as it is a good tool. But I do admit that certain colors or designs are a real negative. Color is usually a personal choice and probably any number of us won't agree on which is best.

For example, I like some Craftsman-brand tools, but the "black and red" color scheme looks so "dated" and quite dull. Hitachi's tools look like some absurd joke originating from a frustrated athletic shoe designer. Likewise I think that some of Skil's power tools orignate with the same guy! I want my tools to look like tools, not something else.

Personally, I want a tool that has good funtionality in it's design. I think Ryobi and Ridgid (both TTI) have just that. Non-mar pads, that keep the tool from sliding off or marring a surface; clips or magnets to hold a spare bit in place; useable LED's that properly illuminate, etc.

I do like Ryobi's color scheme (blue, yellow, and platinum-silver) and have come to like Ridgid's orange and grey. But in that regard, a designer needs to be careful to not infringe on color combinations that are "trademarked" like Ryobi's combination... so be careful with that.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 01-31-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Just don't do what Hitachi is doing. Their tools look like the battery powered squirtguns I used to play with in the mid-eighties. It seems like they're trying to compete with the heavier hitters at a performance level but I find it hard to take them seriously when their tools look like toys.

And you don't have to pick a color if you use polished steel or aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Start making them here again & I'll buy them no matter the color.

J.C.
              Because even if it's outright sh*t, it supports the economy!
              Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                Bottom line for me is that the color doesn't particularly matter as long as it is a good tool. But I do admit that certain colors or designs are a real negative. Color is usually a personal choice and probably any number of us won't agree on which is best.

For example, I like some Craftsman-brand tools, but the "black and red" color scheme looks so "dated" and quite dull. Hitachi's tools look like some absurd joke originating from a frustrated athletic shoe designer. Likewise I think that some of Skil's power tools orignate with the same guy! I want my tools to look like tools, not something else.

Personally, I want a tool that has good funtionality in it's design. I think Ryobi and Ridgid (both TTI) have just that. Non-mar pads, that keep the tool from sliding off or marring a surface; clips or magnets to hold a spare bit in place; useable LED's that properly illuminate, etc.

I do like Ryobi's color scheme (blue, yellow, and platinum-silver) and have come to like Ridgid's orange and grey. But in that regard, a designer needs to be careful to not infringe on color combinations that are "trademarked" like Ryobi's combination... so be careful with that.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                yes it is really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Start making them here again & I'll buy them no matter the color.

J.C.

There you go:
                  http://toolmonger.com/2009/02/10/a-n...n-power-tools/

http://www.maglithion.com/maglithion/Home.html

http://jinpantools.com/html/newproduct.asp

Available in 2nd tier big box stores.

Comment

Working...
                  X