Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

    I purchased 1 MaxSelect 3 pc starter kit and had problems with it so I returned it and got another kit and had the same problems. The problem was that I could fully charge a battery then run it in my drill or Sawzall and, after only a few cuts, the unit would make a clicking sound when I press the trigger and the battery registered as empty.

    After the 2nd unit, I went back to HD to figure out what was going on and to, hopefully, get another replacement but found that the entire 24v system is being clearanced. In place, I got the new 18v X3 kit and like it so far (I've only used it a few times).

    Does anyone know why the 24v system is being phased out? Were they having problems, like the one I mentioned above, with the system?

  • #2
    Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

    We haven't had any definite words on that or not from Ridgid. The 24 volt "starter kits" (24 volt XLi battery and charger and bag) were in fact clearanced out a while ago in the U.S., although you can still buy them retail at HD in Canada. Ridgid has this item listed on it's "revisions/archives" pages, also. But with the rest of the MaxSelect system (18/24 volts), it's hard to say. The opposite has happened - they clearanced them out in Canada about a year ago, and you can't get them up here any more, not ordered or anything. But, most of the MaxSelect items are still on store shelves in the U.S., and they're still listed on the Ridgid product webpages.

    No definite word. We've been told that "Ridgid will continue to support the 24 volt / MaxSelect lineup", or something to that effect, but that doesn't tell us a lot - supporting a product (ie - warranty work/replacement of parts), is heavily dependent on stock of said product/parts, and that is related to how well an item is doing on the retail market. And if they aren't selling them anymore....

    Either way, they're great tools to use and add to your set. All work great. You'll find lots of other threads about this if you run a forum "search".

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

      Thanks for the info. Its all a bit disconcerting to me, but I guess I'll jsut have to wait and see what happens. I was just hoping we might know where the MaxSelect system is going as I had high hopes that it would grow into more tools...I'd be game for buying them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

        Originally posted by rileyjd View Post
        I was just hoping we might know where the MaxSelect system is going as I had high hopes that it would grow into more tools...I'd be game for buying them.
        Get in line. There's many of us here on the forum that have had the same thoughts for ages.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

          Great set of cordless tools. I just got the R931 3 pc kit and picked up the impact driver as well. Used them all weekend and love them. Very well balanced and they work very well

          I really wouldn't mind them keeping the line going and adding tools.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

            Originally posted by RHULAND View Post
            Great set of cordless tools. I just got the R931 3 pc kit and picked up the impact driver as well. Used them all weekend and love them. Very well balanced and they work very well

            I really wouldn't mind them keeping the line going and adding tools.
            I wish they would add more tools as well. I love the tools and the power. Somethings about to happen with all the 24volt tools ending up in clearance. Jig saw and circular saw $89 clearance in col oh. Bought both, but taking circular saw back. Seems like a well made, well thought out, easy to use tool, (quiet too!) but I need the left side blade. This will sound crazy but I love my 7 1/4 and 5 1/2 craftsman 19.2 volt circular saws, largely because of the left mounted blade.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

              Originally posted by rileyjd View Post
              I was just hoping we might know where the MaxSelect system is going as I had high hopes that it would grow into more tools...I'd be game for buying them.

              newb here...when i looked at the set of 24V & asked about the MaxSelect tools...i spoke to a mgr (could be wrong), but he said they are coming out with a line of tools, much like the Ryobi + 1 system, but not as many access.


              edit: so much for the information i got...appears after confirming with Ridgid CS via email/msg board, he 24v kit & MaxSelect line is discontinued!!! guess i'll return my kit and possibly upgrade to the X3
              Last edited by sienna owner; 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                I wish they would add more tools as well. I love the tools and the power. Somethings about to happen with all the 24volt tools ending up in clearance. Jig saw and circular saw $89 clearance in col oh. Bought both, but taking circular saw back. Seems like a well made, well thought out, easy to use tool, (quiet too!) but I need the left side blade. This will sound crazy but I love my 7 1/4 and 5 1/2 craftsman 19.2 volt circular saws, largely because of the left mounted blade.
                The circular saw and the jigsaw have not been marked down in Tennessee. The 3 piece 24V combo is still $299.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                  Originally posted by sienna owner View Post
                  newb here...when i looked at the set of 24V & asked about the MaxSelect tools...i spoke to a mgr (could be wrong), but he said they are coming out with a line of tools, much like the Ryobi + 1 system, but not as many access.


                  edit: so much for the information i got...appears after confirming with Ridgid CS via email/msg board, he 24v kit & MaxSelect line is discontinued!!! guess i'll return my kit and possibly upgrade to the X3
                  Someone at ridgid told you that 24 volt is done? The mini site for max select says"Check out the ever expanding catalogue
                  of MaxSelect tools" Hope thats not true.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                    Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                    Someone at ridgid told you that 24 volt is done? The mini site for max select says"Check out the ever expanding catalogue
                    of MaxSelect tools" Hope thats not true.

                    yes...was emailing back/forth with Rigid CSR...

                    my email:

                    I'm curious to see what is happening with the 24v Tools that you had. HD have been clearing them out for the last year or so, and there has been speculation on both sides of the argument; from being discontinued to expand to a similar +1 platform like your Ryobi system.
                    Can you confirmt that there will be a comparable 24v product line coming out, and if so approx. when would be be availalbe.
                    I noticed that there's a new 18v LiOn product line out and was wondering if this is replacing the 24v since it as better specs compared head-to-head with the 24v products.

                    thanks in advance.


                    response:

                    To my knowlede, the 24v kit has been discontinued. There are no replacement kits that will take its place.

                    Best regards,


                    my 2nd email:

                    Tim has confirmed that the 24v kit is discontinued. Does that mean that entire MaxSelect line (individual) is also discontinued? and will not longer be available?

                    response:

                    Yes, the max select line would also be discontinued. We would still have parts and service for customers that have purchased the 24v kit.

                    Best regards,

                    Tim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                      I was just looking at HD web site and saw this http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...1+502106+1600I thought this kit was gone a long time ago

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                        HD is the reason. Their stupid sales/mktg mgmt decisions have made the whole store go down hill. I used to pick them as my first choice to shop. Now I avoid them whenever possible. They are the sole sellers and it is really a private label line with a huge markup. The 24v battery costs no where near the markup over the 18v. What ever they want they get, they control what Ridgid produces or not, decisions made by the numbers by people who know little about tools.
                        Never seen a more chaotic way to sell power tools The price of the 24v tools,set by HD , is not competitive, [have to buy kits to get LSA on the unavailable battery , but then the complain about the sales figures and drop the line. They have all the max select tools set to run with 24v's but do not sell the battery/charger starter kits [were in the stores very briefly but cost $200 for 1 batt, 1chg, 2 LiI cells sell for $10, so why do they sell for so much more over the 18v pack?]so they have to run on 18v's which gives poor performance. So you ask for the max select line to be built, way overprice it , limit it's distribution, complain it does not sell, mark it down , stop selling it because the stores complain about them as not beiing a success. HUH? Does this make any sense? Does this take anyone by supprise that the sales are not good? Why Ridgid allowed themselves to do this, become puppets of HD, a very poorly run CO. is beyond me.
                        I was lucky to buy the 24v Ham/drill kit on cyber Monday for $130 from HD.com. The max select planer,ham/drill and circ saw are now usable for me. The circ saw on 18v's is just terrible.
                        In 1 year a tool line goes obsolete. They still have the huge isle display graphics for the max select line, most of which was not even available in the stores.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                          LOL read the description it messed up http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...91+502106+1600

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                            Originally posted by washbear View Post
                            LOL read the description it messed up http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...91+502106+1600

                            hahaha...funny!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What is happening with the 24v MaxSelect System?

                              Originally posted by washbear View Post
                              LOL read the description it messed up http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...91+502106+1600
                              Surprise, surprise - another HD screw up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X