X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what price level you prefer for professional tools

At recent market so many different power tools in the market, and the price level positioned different as well in order to get more competitable and win more market shares. like bocsh blue, RIDGID, d-walt, Black&decker, metabo, makita,hitachi, ryobi,etc.
    as you a customer want to buy a proffessional power tool, what price level you prefer and get competitable enough for good compare to tools metion above!
    leave your thoughts at this thread, let's find out what price level is valuable and reasonable for final buyer!

Re: what price level you prefer for professional tools

Well I think everyone realizes that you get what you pay for when buying power tools. We are willing to pay top price to get the latest technology but it also can't be a new gimmick such as the new Auto Shift drill which is offered in both Ryobi and Ridgid which doesn't make sense. The features have to be worth it to us for us to make a new purchase. We only typically find those features in DeWalt and Bosch. Milwaukee seems to be copying a lot of things from Ridgid so their quality which not what it was a few years ago and Ridgid gets somethings from Ryobi such as the Auto Shift. So we are willing to pay a little more to get the better tools which we know will last longer, perform better and are eaiser to get serviced when needed.

Comment

To me it is not so much price as the tool need to work when it is called upon, and last for many years.

The way I see it, if you are putting out a tool and saying it is the best on the market, back it up with a life time warrenty but don't go out of business in two years either.

I have some corded tools that will last forever if taken care of, some were my Dad's.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by shawnlin View Post
        At recent market so many different power tools in the market, and the price level positioned different as well in order to get more competitable and win more market shares. like bocsh blue, RIDGID, d-walt, Black&decker, metabo, makita,hitachi, ryobi,etc.
        as you a customer want to buy a proffessional power tool, what price level you prefer and get competitable enough for good compare to tools metion above!
        leave your thoughts at this thread, let's find out what price level is valuable and reasonable for final buyer!
        Well, your translations suck but I get the drift of your question. Professional tools are not selected by price range, they are selected by quality and reputation as being pro. tools. You listed Black and Decker in the same sentence as Bosch and Dewalt, when there is no comparison between them. B&D and ryobi are homeowners tools, not professional in any way. We, as professionals, choose our tools based on experience and reputation. I don't believe it makes a lot of difference between Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, or any of the other professional tool brands. It becomes a matter of personal choice and who has the best deal at the time the tool is needed. My last cordless drill was a Ridgid, I got almost 5 years of heavy usage out of it and it still works pretty good. I decided it was time for a new drill because of my work demands and this time I chose a makita, just happened to get a better deal. The deal wasn't even on the drill, but on a couple extra batteries for it. 4-5 years down the road from now, who knows what my next drill will be! Pricepoint for a professional tool, $99 - $500, it can't be determined!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
          Well, your translations suck but I get the drift of your question. Professional tools are not selected by price range, they are selected by quality and reputation as being pro. tools. You listed Black and Decker in the same sentence as Bosch and Dewalt, when there is no comparison between them. B&D and ryobi are homeowners tools, not professional in any way. We, as professionals, choose our tools based on experience and reputation. I don't believe it makes a lot of difference between Ridgid, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, or any of the other professional tool brands. It becomes a matter of personal choice and who has the best deal at the time the tool is needed. My last cordless drill was a Ridgid, I got almost 5 years of heavy usage out of it and it still works pretty good. I decided it was time for a new drill because of my work demands and this time I chose a makita, just happened to get a better deal. The deal wasn't even on the drill, but on a couple extra batteries for it. 4-5 years down the road from now, who knows what my next drill will be! Pricepoint for a professional tool, $99 - $500, it can't be determined!
          thanks for your comment. it is meaningfull.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
            The way I see it, if you are putting out a tool and saying it is the best on the market, back it up with a life time warrenty but don't go out of business in two years either.
            G3
            Last time I checked no company offers a lifetime "warranty" and if a company offers something similar it is probably because they have too.
            Again huge difference between the LSA and a lifetime warranty.

Comment

Ever bought any hand tools from oh lets say Sears, Snap-On, Mac, etc.

What I'm saying is............if the product is as good as the maker says it is, then they should stand behind it, and if it is truly as good as they advertise there will not be very many claims for the product in the first place!!

day-yam

G3

Comment

a professional tool is a professional tool do to it quality and by the reputation of the company, and how the company backs there tools.

IN my opinion the quality of tools in general has slipped over the years in the price game,

There are a few companies that make the extreme quality tools but you really pay for them,
                but they also have the reputation of being the best there is for that purpose,

you may start a new line of tools and they may be of extreme quality, but with out a superb marketing system they will probably hardly catch on, as there is more than likely no name to sell them by, with a history.

there are some excellent small tool companies out there and either they have a nitch market or they have very little share, of the market, not that the tools are not good as some are very good, but there is not a name that is recognized for it history of quality,

you noticed that the mention of Black and Decker was not considered a pro tool, at one time they had a very good reputation, and then they jumped into the homeowners market and produced junk tools, and it got so no one in line of wanting professional tools would buy black and Decker because the name was considered something of sub quality, they still made a quality tools in there industrial lines but people did not trust the company, in a stroke of marketing Genius they bought back the "Dewalt" name, and renamed there professional line "Dewalt" which still held high esteem in the professional's mind, and the rest is history. (but it appears to me there cheapening the line ever time a new tool is released),

yes there are many tools made in the far east, that are quality, but more than likely unless they are backed by a known company they will not sell well to professionals,

there have been a lot of junk imports, and unless a known company of quality backs the tool I personally think few professionals will be interested in even trying it,

If the price is to low it speaks of low quality and with out a name I think a tool of a higher price will be a turn off, if it does not have a reconized name and compay to back it,

It some what bugs me to have to buy a imported tool for an (what I call), an American made price, it is easly to see many of the import copies sell for fraction of the American company's price, (but normally the quality is not there), but one knows there still getting it manufactured for pennies over seas, (yes I know there is more than likely better metals and higher quality control), but some times I think there ripping the American consumer.
                OTC did this to me, I ordered the OTC tool that I needed and paid a made in America price for it, and it comes and the box said made in China, no hint it was an import. and I ordered it because it (I thought was still an American made product).

but there is another item on professional buying,
                one buys to get the job done, and to keep productivity going,
                if the tool fails and I have number guys standing look stupid, and can't work until a replacement is found, the cost of the replacement may not be that critical as long as I can get my employees working and the project back going, in many instances the cost of lost labor will be more than the tool.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                  Last time I checked no company offers a lifetime "warranty" and if a company offers something similar it is probably because they have too.
                  Again huge difference between the LSA and a lifetime warranty.
                  I've heard that argument before, what new tool doesn't need service at some point (seeing as you are talking strictly about power tools and maybe even RIDGID, just a guess). Every company that makes cordless tools are going to become nothing more than trophies of good times seeing as no batteries, as of yet, last forever. Is it because they "have to" or because they can without the fear of going out of business due too many sercive claims?

Comment

I pay based on the value of the tool to me. Reliability and ergonomics play a big role.

I would pay more for tools that say made in the USA on them. If a manufacture produced American made tools I would put my China tools in the next garage sale and buy all new. I dont have a problem with China, I just know we can build out own damn tools.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I go where the value is, which is greatly influenced by sale prices and opportunity. I try to avoid low end B&D, Skil, cheaper HF and Craftsman, Tradesman, etc, and prefer Milwaukee, Bosch, Ridgid, PC, DW, Makita, etc.

If I can get top shelf performance within my price range with a great sale or buying a refurb I'll do it. But if middle of the road item will do the job, is a sound design, and I need it now, I'll buy that. The best deals come along when you least expect them.

Comment

I agree Hewood, I have a whole lot of the Ryobi 1+ tools and really like them. they are my home shop tools that i use for woodworking and remodelling jobs around here. They are good tools, but I know they are not up to the riggors of my day job. I have a few of the old B&D Professional tools, 1/2" drill,Sawsall, and Portaband saw. They were bought in the late 70s and still work great everyday, too bad they don't still make their tools like they used too.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                        X