X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R963 5 pcs combo set problems

has anyone who bought this set had problems with the batteries being defective or charger?

recently i went out and picked up this set to try out for our install crew (trying to find a new set because the sets we have been using just aren't holding up motors triggers tranny's going up every 3 to 6 months) anyway get the get home of course have to play with it go to charge up batteries and get the defective light after about 10 min on the charger so i put the other battery on get the same thing try the both again as soon as they go on get it flashes defective so i got to home depot and get a new set. different store this time im at work first battery charges fine use it great put the other battery to charge 10 min and it flashes defective. well the good battery dies i put it back on the charger if flashes defective. so i go back to the home depot they say they think its the charger so just swap chargers but same thing both defective. go back 2 new batteries of the shelf not in the kits same. both defective so 2 set 3 chargers and six batts and 3 differant home depots 2 in york pa 1 in md. they test the batts there and got same results. just wondering if anyone else this problem or just realy bad luck.

Re: R963 5 pcs combo set problems

I have the set and the only problem I had was one of the batteris was missing from the first set I bought (always wondered how batteries ended up on eBay for so cheap). Took it back and got a new one that had both batteries but no problems charging or anything.

Comment

Yes. Same problem with one battery. On the first charge - after charging near complete - defective battery light comes. After I put it back in and the charger goes through its thing, the defective battery light goes away. I've done this about 4 times now and same thing each time. Obviously I use the battery and it seems to hold a charge though hard to say if it's a full charge. Don't want to be stuck with a dud within the first 90 days of purchase so I will bring it back and hopefully they will exchange only the battery and not the whole set.

On a similiar note, does the LED brightness on anyone's impact driver vary with the variable speed - that is, low power, low light, full power, full brightness. I don't have same issue with hammer drill. I put the power on and the light comes on full.

And...how is the alignment on the chuck on the hammer drill? Gracias.
      Last edited by Avanzi; 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avanzi View Post
        Yes. Same problem with one battery. On the first charge - after charging near complete - defective battery light comes. After I put it back in and the charger goes through its thing, the defective battery light goes away. I've done this about 4 times now and same thing each time. Obviously I use the battery and it seems to hold a charge though hard to say if it's a full charge. Don't want to be stuck with a dud within the first 90 days of purchase so I will bring it back and hopefully they will exchange only the battery and not the whole set.

On a similiar note, does the LED brightness on anyone's impact driver vary with the variable speed - that is, low power, low light, full power, full brightness. I don't have same issue with hammer drill. I put the power on and the light comes on full.

And...how is the alignment on the chuck on the hammer drill? Gracias.

yeah i noticed the same thing with the impact driver's light. and the chuck on the hammer drill from the first set wobbled like shaft or something was bent. second set was fine much straighter.

Comment

I too also had a problem with one of my batteries. I literally took it out of the box to charge and it flashed defective. After trying to charge it again it still flashed defective. I went back to HD and got a new replacement battery and everything seems to be working.

I have not noticed the light issue on the impact drill but I will be paying extra attention.

Comment

Exactly the same problem with new kit I got just 4 days agoUnfortunately I have the kit 90km away from the nearest HD and had to travel already once to replace non working light (not just the bulb but the socket didn't connect to battery) HD forced me to bring back the whole set and now this...
            Reply from RIDGID customer service was that they will understand if I return it for refund... This is obviously more wide spread problem than they think.

Comment

Well I almost laid down the cash for this 5 piece kit (R963) today...
              But when I got home I did a search and came up with this post, although +/-2 mos. old it has about changed my mind on the kit...
              What is the final verdict...??? Bad batteries, bad chargers, or do I just need to abandon the R963 (HD price $499) kit altogather and start looking at others, if so what do I turn to, and maybe better & cheaper...???
              Thanks and have a good one...Tater....

Comment

Well it's been a few months and projects now since I bought my X3 set and still have nothing bad to say about the set other than the normal Li-ion issues that it seems all Li-ion battiers suffer from (i.e. not charging when cold). Battery run time is excellent and give the tools plenty of power. I have third Li-ion battery which is handy for the fact that you don't have to switching the battery to a different tools but its not needed. I would say go ahead and get the set, (if you have a HD credit card you might be getting a coupon in the mail, I just got one today) try it out. The forum is great but as others have pointed out it tends to have a mega-phone effect when it comes to issues people have with their tools.

Comment

HI Tater,

I exhanged both the hammer drill and battery and I've had no problem since. Still not too impressed with the chuck but it is straighter (had same problem w Makita-worse). Reviews on Home Depot are positive. So you know, I'm a weekend warrior so I don't put much use on the tools as would the fulltimer's. Also, I don't know that you get a similiar forum set up by the manufacturer where you can voice your thoughts as you can here so you hear it all. If you want to go with an up and coming brand, Hitachi & Panasonic are getting rav reviews but none can attest to the long term performance of the tools.

Comment

I had a "Defective" charge light on one 18V battery from an R964 Kit and a constant "Evaluation" light on an 24V battery from an R931 Kit. I returned both and bought 2 more R931 (24V) kits, and so far all 4 batteries are fine.

But this is somewhat understandable since all my kits were older models. The R963 is a fairly new kit right? Of course Home Depot had no problem with any of my returns/exchanges. I have to say I like the 24V over the 18V in things like the saws and WD2450 cordless vacs. Big difference.

Comment

Thanks folks, after doing the search and reading the above problems I begain to think I did not need a bunch of troubles... Seems like things were not as bad as it first seemed, but I may lay off for a bit anyway...
                      Thanks and have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Awwww, decided to hit Lowes & HD again and check out the DeWalt 4 pc XRP @ $429 (Lowes)(Mod.# DCK 450X..????) again and weigh it out against the Ridgid 5 pc L-Ion R963 @ $499 (HD)... I too wish I could make up my mind...lol...
                        Thanks and have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Working...
                        X