Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Drill Press

Ridgid Drill Press
    A few questions.
    Is it equipped with a depth stop, and how well does it work?
    Will the table tilt to the vertical (90 degrees)?
    How much run out if any at the chuck?
    Has anyone added an aftermarket laser?
    What are your general impressions of the machine?
    Steve.

Re: Ridgid Drill Press

Steve,

Is it equipped with a depth stop, and how well does it work?

Yes, it is equipped with a depth stop which is located on the feed handle hub. You simply turn the hub ring to the desired measurement and then lock it in place. This is not as simple as the adjustable stop rod used on many drill presses, but I like its function. It can also hold the quill at a lower position, if desired.

Will the table tilt to the vertical (90 degrees)?

Yes, I believe so, though I haven't actually had a need to do that yet. There is a bevel scale located on the left side of the table support arm which aids in setting the bevel angle.

How much run out if any at the chuck?

On my 1550, there is no noticeable run-out and therefore I haven't found the need to actually measure it. There is no noticeable wobble and all holes appear to run acurately for the entire quill travel.

Has anyone added an aftermarket laser?

I'm not a fan of lasers for any tool, therefore I've found no need to look at any third-party offerings.

What are your general impressions of the machine?

I really like mine and am somewhat surprised at how much I've come to rely on it. Plenty of power for woodworking. I like the extra support that the "ears" provide on the base.

Overall 'fit and finish' is very good, with smooth quill travel and minimal vibration. The latter is probably contributal to a somewhat uneven floor. Very good 5/8-inch chuck and easy belt adjustment and the table's vertical adjustment is smooth operating.

For woodworking, I've equipped my 1550 with a Rockler drill-press table and fence assembly.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-29-2009, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X