X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolless Blade Changer

I have a hardly used R3000 with toolless blade changer. The saw blades will not stay locked in place during use. I have run several brands including Rigid and still lose the blade allmost instantly.

Is there a retro repair kit or perhaps a conversion kit to use a typical set screw lock down available?

Re: Toolless Blade Changer

Originally posted by concotel@yahoo.com View Post
    I have a hardly used R3000 with toolless blade changer. The saw blades will not stay locked in place during use. I have run several brands including Rigid and still lose the blade allmost instantly.

Is there a retro repair kit or perhaps a conversion kit to use a typical set screw lock down available?
    We have used the Ridgid toolless recip saw for a couple of years in very demanding, filthy demolition applications. It has been a very capable performer. The blade chuck can become jammed when working the saw in plaster, concrete debris and sheetrock dust.
    1-Hopefully the plastic lever hasn't been broken trying to move a jammed chuck? Hold the saw so that you can look from the front and observe the mechanism while you lift the blade release lever. Does it engage the tab on the chuck and move it up in a somewhat circular fashion. If the plastic blade release lever is broken and the tool is still under warranty or is covered under the LSA take it to a Ridgid service center and let us know how things work out.
    2-If the chuck mechanism is jammed with debris, blow it out with an air hose and put a few drops of oil in the chuck mechanism.
    Good luck.....Ray

Comment

This is going to seem a bit crazy but please give the following a try and let me know if it helps.

1. Using fine sandpaper or a chemical paint remover strip the blade shank of all paint on a few blades.

2. If you look you'll see a small hole in the blade shank where a retaining pin must pass through it. If you can, clean out this hole with a #27 twist drill. You'll need to hold the blades in a vise and either use a Pin Vise (see picture) or a small variable speed drill or small pliers to hold the twist drill. What you want to do is clean out the hole but not enlarge is.

#27 high speed Jobber length twist drills can be found at good hardware stores, tool suppliers and industrial supply houses. The same for pin vises. If you can find a pin vise with a three jaw 1/4" chuck like in the picture you'll find this to be a super valuable tool to have in your shop. They are just a bit too handy not to own one. There are tiny versions for holding tiny pins and twist drills but most of the time one of the larger ones with a 1/4" capacity chuck is more handy.

I've had this blade problem with other brands of reciprocating saws and the above steps really helped.

About how old it the tool and do you have the receipt. This might be covered under warranty.

Good luck with this and please keep us updated. I personally hate that they paint the shanks of reciprocating saw and jigsaw blades. It only makes for &^%$#

Note: Small pliers can hold the #27 twist drill just to try it. Strong carburetor cleaner like Berryman B-12 ChemTool (1 pint steel cans) strips paint, but only use it outdoors. It's nasty stuff.

Handy reasonable cost pin vise: http://www.generaltools.com/Products...-Vise__93.aspx
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-30-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Wow......Under the heading of, let no good deed go unpunished, you use your second post on this forum to slap around someone for trying to help you!
        Maybe if you had used some of your superior "sales" ability to provide us with the information you gave above my original response could have been more germaine for such an obvious genius as you.....(Duh)
        You could have also told us how long you have had this saw and if you even bought it from HD or Ebay or stole it. That information would be useful to help us help you. You could have done much more with your superior "sales" skills to provide complete information.........but you didn't because it would seem you were totaly focused on being rude and obnoxious and blasting Ridgid and anyone who tried to help.
        You succeeded....Ray
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-03-2009, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X