• Show
Clear All

• need help with ts3650 alignment

hi,

after 3 years my saw blade is out of alignment with the miter slot. I've
    tried adjusting the trunion but still can't get a good crosscut. the wood
    touches the blade both in the front and the back. after crosscutting, if
    I put a square to the edge it touches, then there's space, then it touches
    again. there is a small burn mark on edge which first contacts the wood.

I've read the manual and other publications which describe this problem and have tried to adjust trunion, table, etc. this has caused some
    improvement, but blade is still not aligned with slot.

am not sure what else I can do. I could really use some help with this
    problem. any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: need help with ts3650 alignment

When was the last time you cleaned your blade? I'm not quite sure I understand your description of the problem correctly but if a square touches both the front and back teeth on the blade at the same time it sounds like the blade is squared properly. Burn marks can sometimes be an indication that your blade has a pitch buildup and need cleaning or needs sharpening.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Have you checked your square to be sure it is square?

Also, its best to use the same tooth as a measurement point. Mark a tooth and rotate the blade from front to back and check against the same tooth. Everything should be referenced to the miter slot, as it is the one thing you can not adjust on a contractor style saw. Everything moves in relation to the TS top and miter slot when adjusted.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I appreciate the help. I meant to say I was holding the square against the edge of the wood which had just been cut.I did check the same tooth after rotating the blade 180 degrees. It's veryclose but a small alignment error with the blade can cause a big problem with the cut. I used a couple different squares and got the same result. this problem has convinced me to invest in a qualilty square. none of the home depot variety seem to have the accuracy I need.am going to start again fresh. I might have to live with it, but that's what block planes are for, eh?Thanks again for the great advice.Steve

Comment

If you are getting a dished cut using the miter, the problem is probably your miter gauge. Either it is loose, flexing, or the slot bar is too loose or warped and is causing the miter gauge to wobble across the width of the miter slot. If using a long fence, it is common for the fence to flex as the first initial contact with the blade causes more resistance.

Possible solutions:

If your gauge does not have an adjustment screw to vary the slide bar width, peen the edges with a center punch until it snugs up. (lessens wobbles)

Stiffen the auxiliary fence. If currently using 1 thickness of 3/4 ply, go to double thickness if using a long fence. (lessens flexing)

Put some 80 grit (or up to 40 grit) sandpaper on your fence to prevent the wood from sliding along it as you make the cut. A stop block on the fence also helps.

Keep constant pressure against the outside (side away from the blade) of the miter slot as you push the wood past the blade. (lessens wobbles, also)

If using the stock miter gauge, consider an upgrade. I have the Osborne EB-3 and it makes a world of difference over the stock gauge. It does require some initial set-up and fine tuning to match your saw.

Hope this helps

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor: thanks very much. After reading your post I'm almost certain the miter guage is the problem. I'll advise you about my progress but most likely I'll have to upgrade since past attempts to make the current miter guage fit better haven't been too successful.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bukowsky View Post
              Gofor: thanks very much. After reading your post I'm almost certain the miter guage is the problem. I'll advise you about my progress but most likely I'll have to upgrade since past attempts to make the current miter guage fit better haven't been too successful.

Steve
              Let me start by saying I have zero vested interest in any tool or tool company, but I have the Incra1000SE miter guage and love it. It helps me make very precision, repeatable cuts. Just cut 16 tenons with it and they came out great. And it's adjustable to the miter slot on your table. Rockler carries it.

Comment

I just checked and amazon has the Incra 1000se on sale for $104.
                I was looking at these a couple of years ago and they went for
                $150, so amazon's is a pretty good price.

A couple of the Amazon reviewers were complaining about the
                nylon wheels used for adjusting to the slot. Has anyone had
                experience with this?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bukowsky View Post
                  I just checked and amazon has the Incra 1000se on sale for $104.
                  I was looking at these a couple of years ago and they went for
                  $150, so amazon's is a pretty good price.

A couple of the Amazon reviewers were complaining about the
                  nylon wheels used for adjusting to the slot. Has anyone had
                  experience with this?

Steve
                  Hey Steve,

That's a very good price....

I experienced some "quirkiness" with those nylon wheels as well. It wasn't a problem, just took some focused attention to get them dialed in right. I am pretty new and I figured it out, so I am sure it would be a breeze for others with more experience than myself. I would not consider that as a reason not to get it.
                  Last edited by Tom5151; 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

due to the help and support I got on this website I think my problem is pretty much resolved. I made some adjustments to the current miter gauge with good results and I'm going to buy a better miter gauge. thanks again to everyone.Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X