Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Get The TS3650????? HELP

Hey everyone,

Okay so I have read all the reviews until I am blue in the face. I know the 3650 is a very good saw. The question is; should I get it?

The HD by my house has two of them at the clearance price of 399. I currently own the 2410. I like the 2410 a lot. It's mobile so I can store it against the wall in my garage (shop) and still get both cars in. I am a hobbyist so I make some furntiure and some other wood projects from time to time. I have done them all fairly well and pretty accurately on the 2410. It is a bit underpowered and even with thin kerf blades the motor will lag at times. But it does the job quite nicely.

So what are some compelling reasons for me to buy the 3650? The price is a given but what other things will I really notice that is hugely different from the 2410?

I have all the impulsive reasons to buy but I was hoping for the some of the more objective, logical reasons from all of you.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom5151; 02-03-2009, 08:53 AM.

Re: Should I Get The TS3650????? HELP

I think the real difference between the saws that'll be immediately noticeable is the larger table surface of the 3650. It's just all around a bit more stable with larger stock. The Herculift on the saw makes it moveable, albeit not portable. You're not going to throw the 3650 in the truck and take it with you. Keep the 2410 for those jobs. I kind of wish I had both, actually. There's times I've wanted a TS at a job site. There's many many times I'm glad I have the 3650. Like right now, I have some 6' to 8' lengths of 2" cherry I'm ripping. I'm really happy I have the 3650 to plow through that stuff!! It's doing great with these thick boards.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

$399 is a great price for a very good table saw. Don't sit on that fence too long or they will all be gone and you'll soon be
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom5151 View Post
        Hey everyone,

Okay so I have read all the reviews until I am blue in the face. I know the 3650 is a very good saw. The question is; should I get it?

The HD by my house has two of them at the clearance price of 399. I currently own the 2410. I like the 2410 a lot. It's mobile so I can store it against the wall in my garage (shop) and still get both cars in. I am a hobbyist so I make some furntiure and some other wood projects from time to time. I have done them all fairly well and pretty accurately on the 2410. It is a bit underpowered and even with thin kerf blades the motor will lag at times. But it does the job quite nicely.

So what are some compelling reasons for me to buy the 3650? The price is a given but what other things will I really notice that is hugely different from the 2410?

I have all the impulsive reasons to buy but I was hoping for the some of the more objective, logical reasons from all of you.

Thanks,
        Tom
        Im with you on this one. I love my TS2400, because its small enough, even when unfolded, that it fits nice in my small shop/unfinished basement. Ive been able to do just about everything Ive needed to so far, but the 3650/3660 is just so tempting at the 399 price. But, its definitely BIGGER. The fact I already have a saw and that the 3650 is so much bigger is stopping me. If I didnt already have the 2400, or I had more room, Id own a new 3660 right about now.

Im interested to see what HD does with the price.......I dont see any of the saws flying off the shelves around here, heck they just finally put out the 3660s that theyd have in overhead forever. Still no sale, even at 399. If the price starts coming down some more, I might need to somehow find room in my shop!

Comment

I think you're beginning to see the main points ... a better, more powerful motor, a significantly larger table with the corresponding increase in rip capacity, the cast iron table top (less vibration, but more maintenance), a larger overall saw (will it fit in the space you have for storage?), and a great price for a saw that has routinely received very high marks within its category.

There are some great plans you can find on the forum for an extension table that will actually fit over the TS 3660 in its stored position, so you could have the ability to handle larger pieces of material with greater ease.

I found mine used and in excellent condition for just $300 during the summer and I love it. (Sold a Shopsmith ... )

If you have the space and the funds, you can't do much better!

Comment

I am in the same boat.. I don't have a shop, I only have a 2-car garage (and 2 cars). I found that I can use a larger table and more stability when I rip those 8' ply... $399 is tempting but I juts have no room to store it... unless one of the car is to be parked outside but this winter in eastern WA told me that I should not do so.

Until I have enough $$ to expand my garage to a 3-car, I will have to live with the TS2410

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            Im with you on this one. I love my TS2400, because its small enough, even when unfolded, that it fits nice in my small shop/unfinished basement. Ive been able to do just about everything Ive needed to so far, but the 3650/3660 is just so tempting at the 399 price. But, its definitely BIGGER. The fact I already have a saw and that the 3650 is so much bigger is stopping me. If I didnt already have the 2400, or I had more room, Id own a new 3660 right about now.
            !

Comment

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's the 3660 not the 3650....even better.....yippee..

Gonna be delivered tomorrow and setting it up over the weekend.....

The only one who thinks this is a bad move is my car which will now have to be parked in the driveway.........

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X